Linux Smartphone Necuno NC_1 Launched For Privacy And Freedom

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
SIM card will compromise security, one of their key features
lol.

Here is a car for you .....but it does not have a engine. Got a battery in so you can listen to the radio if you want though. :laugh:

newby_investor

Expert Member
OTOH I guess with a VOIP app, this thing could function as a phone. When in WiFi range.

But then you may as well just buy a VOIP phone and keep it at home, it'll be cheaper.

So this is basically a small WiFi only Linux tablet.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Yeah, I did spot that. Well, hopefully version 0.2 will come with a Sim module :)
what kind of beta is that? its like releasing a dummy phone thats a soild peice of plastic, and saying heres our phone.

newby_investor

Expert Member
so an ipad for morons, who want an ipad but not too bright?
More of an iPod Touch, based on the screen size.

There are legitimate reasons not to want to buy Apple. This does seem a bit of a fail though, the lack of a SIM card would be my main gripe. It's all good and well to have a Linux phone, but then it actually needs to be a phone.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
So how does this rate rate compared to other phones, especially Andriod phones? I guess it can do the basics like phone, SMS, etc. But will apps like Waze, Whatsup, Telegram, Unify, etc work on it?

newby_investor

Expert Member
So how does this rate rate compared to other phones, especially Andriod phones? I guess it can do the basics like phone, SMS, etc. But will apps like Waze, Whatsup, Telegram, Unify, etc work on it?
If they were open-source, they could be ported to work quite easily.

They are closed-source though, so it would require the developers to release a version supporting this platform. Unless you run it in an Android emulator of sorts.

That being said though, the tinfoil-hat crowd that this sort of thing appeals to, probably won't want all of those big brother apps. So there likely won't be much market for the developers to invest resources in it.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
If they were open-source, they could be ported to work quite easily.

They are closed-source though, so it would require the developers to release a version supporting this platform. Unless you run it in an Android emulator of sorts.

That being said though, the tinfoil-hat crowd that this sort of thing appeals to, probably won't want all of those big brother apps. So there likely won't be much market for the developers to invest resources in it.
As a Linux user I enjoy using these apps on my PC so don't see how it would be a problem on my phone as well?

newby_investor

Expert Member
As a Linux user I enjoy using these apps on my PC so don't see how it would be a problem on my phone as well?
Well it's a question of philosophy. You are a pragmatic Linux user.

The original GNU guys, like Richard Stallman, would insist that these things aren't good because they give control to an untrusted corporation who process your data in ways you don't know about because you can't inspect the source code. They'll also probably run their own email servers etc etc.

sicelo.m

Telegram will obviously work on the Necunos phone as, although it is closed, it is 'friendly' to third party applications.

WhatsApp? You have an application for it in your Linux PC? That's amazing!
Or you meant browser? Then sure, WhatsApp and the other 'apps' will work on the Necunos phone from the browser too (if the system resources will be able to handle that)