Lion rips off toddler's scalp at Heilbron lion park

schumi

Honorary Master
A 4-year-old girl is in a critical condition after being attacked by a lioness at Weltevrede Lion Farm in Heilbron on Sunday, Netwerk24 reported.

A part of Dina-Marie de Beer's skull was reportedly removed on Monday to relieve pressure on her brain.

Her dad, Pieter, told Die Burger that the road to recovery would be long. Dina-Marie is being treated at Netcare Union Hospital in Alberton where she was airlifted to.

She is being kept in an induced coma.

The Pretoria family reportedly visited the lion park on their way home from a holiday and went into one of the camps so that Dina-Marie could pet a cub.

According to Netwerk24, Dina-Marie was in her father's arms when they were attacked through the fence of a bordering camp.
More at : https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/lion-rips-off-toddlers-scalp-at-heilbron-lion-park-20190514

R4ziel

Expert Member
Could have been a lion that has heritage from the Apache Indians with its scalping tenancies...

nightjar

Expert Member
Madness that anyone goes within reach of a lion, particularly with a child.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Let me guess they were instructed not to stand too close to the fence, but did so in any case?

I have seen this many times, people simply don't listen or abide by the rules. I have visited animal observation and rehabilitation camps, some people think these animals are domesticated or something.

Seen many cool mom's and dad's in my day suffering from their own coolness. I'm talking about those thinking they are cool.

Poor girl though and I sincerely hope that she heals physically and emotionally from this incident.

noxibox

Honorary Master
It was a cub, and it was not the cub, according to the article that attacked her.

The problem here seems to be that the cages with adult lions did not have adequate barriers (and visitors may not even realise there are any lions in there - they can look empty and may actually be). Every place I've been to like this has barriers to keep people away from the fences and prominent signs everywhere warning not to approach the fence.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Some people....no...screw it....most people should not be allowed to breed. Poor kid has to bear the brunt of pathetic parenting.

There should be a test for wannabe parents...take all the Darwin award shite parents have ignorantly done to cause harm to their progeny....and let them sit weeks completing that test.

If you disagree....you're in the pathetic parent camp and should be led in to a nice green field....and.....executed.

MEIOT

Expert Member
It was a cub, and it was not the cub, according to the article that attacked her.

The problem here seems to be that the cages with adult lions did not have adequate barriers (and visitors may not even realise there are any lions in there - they can look empty and may actually be). Every place I've been to like this has barriers to keep people away from the fences and prominent signs everywhere warning not to approach the fence.
Barriers or no barriers - theres some goddamn lions in your general vicinity. Evolution,if anything, has taught us to be somewhat wary and not put your child between yourself and a LION:laugh:

Jabulani22

Would be nice if somebody has photos of the parks fencing or lack there of .

rorz0r

Executive Member
Finding it hard to imagine how big the holes are in this fence...