Lion rips off toddler's scalp at Heilbron lion park

Solarion

Honorary Master
Children and lions should be kept far apart from one another as they are prone to violent conflict.

But I imagine most parents know this already :confused:

Anyway she got really lucky. A lion could snap a man's neck with one hit. I think the closest I've ever dared get to a lion face to face behind an enclosure must be at least 2 meters. There is something about the way that thing looks at you like he could literally kill you with just a thought. Those eyes seem to bore a hole right into your soul! :D

Flarsiep

Think Drakenstein just outside Paarl have a lion sanctuary.
There is a big fence for the animals, and then 2 metre gap followed by fence for visitors.
So the closest you can get is 2 metres., that is if the lion is interested. Big enclosures, trees and grass, out of the 10 or so camps only three could we see the lion. This setup is for the lion's benifit, not ours. I liked that.
Yet, as always with a bloody yankee, one chap tried to climb over the fence to get a better shot. As in 2 metres closer. Ol' Simba was just eyeballing this oak, wondering if he should comb his mane or protect his wummin from this clown.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No respect for wild animals. That is the root cause of all these "accidents". Parents are just stupid to even contemplate this petting nonsense. Time the authorities stepped in and made it illegal for anyone to "offer" such entertainment services.

tRoN

Executive Member
Came here looking for the video footage.
Link please

Sollie

Expert Member
Dat stare..... :confused:

/shifts uncomfortably in chair

Those eyes are wrong, they're much more yellow, much more ... fixating. Are you man or mouse? methinks mouse. Do I munch on you now, later, now and later or now till later?

Two things I have seen from too close - a lion and a hippo.

Sollie

Expert Member
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/we-warn-people-but-they-dont-listen-says-lion-farm-where-toddlers-scalp-was-ripped-off-20190520
Charlene van Wyk, the lion farm's manager, told Rapport that representatives of the Department of Environmental Affairs visited the farm on Tuesday and could find nothing wrong [with its security measures].

"None of our permits were withdrawn," Van Wyk reportedly said.

"The guide who accompanied De Beer warned him twice that the lion was behind him," Roets reportedly said.