List of Known Fake News Sites in South Africa (and beyond)

Daisy Cloudskitter

Expert Member
Sham news sites make big bucks from fake views

Forbes and Business Insider are both well-known news sites. So is forbesbusinessinsider.com a new spin-off?
No. It has nothing to do with either Forbes or Business Insider.
In fact, it's a site that copies and pastes entire articles from other publishers and reposts them with very slight changes.

There are 350 million registered domain names on the internet. Experts say it's impossible to count how many are sham news sites.

But just like legitimate websites, they earn money from the major tech companies that pay them to display ads.

Gozzy

Perhaps a shorter list of credible News sources would be better :p its easier to remember a shorter list of valid news sources than a long list of fake news sources.

stadleroux

Nuus.net
Let's just say they have a particularly... errr, liberal policy in their usage of the exclamation mark. Liberal as in a liberal sprinkling.

nightjar

Executive Member
Have just received this via WhatsApp.

Food Lovers in Tokai has wine for sale with minimal queue time.

Lord of the Storm

How to Spot a Fake News Website

Don't Fall for Fake News Websites

Don't Share Fake News

The following sites are fake news. And I don't mean fake news as in opinionated pieces, I mean actually 100% fake news. Don't fall for manufactured outrage.

SA Based Fake News Sites:

• African News Updates
• blackopinion.co.za
• mzansitimes.com
• Nationalnewsbulletin.com
• News24-TV
• Pretorialive

International Based Fake News Sites: (that are known to publish articles related to SA):

• ab-tc.com [USA]
• Abcnewgo.com [USA]
• AfricaNewsUpdate.com
• AfricanNewsUpdates.com
• AllNews.co.za [USA]
• AllNews1.com [USA]
• AllReport.co.za [USA]
• AllTheNews.co.za [USA]
• ANewJerusalem.com
• BestNews.co.za [USA]
• BreeknuusZA.com [USA]
• CitySun [USA]
• DailySun.fun
• Dodgysaministers.com [Bulgaria]
• GautengPraise.com
• Gossipmillsa.com - Gossip Mill Mzansi [USA]
• hdnews24h.blogspot.com [USA]
• Hinnews.com [USA]
• Hinviral.com [USA]
• iMzansi [USA]
• Live Monitor [USA]
• LiveReport.co.za [USA]
• Lovejessy.com [Ukraine]
• Mzansi LIVE [USA]
• Mzansistories.com [USA]
• Mzansistories.co.za [USA]
• Mzansistories.inf [USA]
• NationalNewsBulletin.com
• News360.co.za [EU]
• Newsatlast.com
• Newsatlastsa.online [USA]
• Newsdaily.co.za [Canada]
• NewSoweto.co.za [USA]
• Newspage.co.za [UK]
• Newsupdatessa.site [USA] and Facebook Page
• NewToilet.xyz [USA]
• Nusa.site [USA]
• Operanewsapp.com [USA]
• Sanews247.blogspot.co.za [USA]
• Sa-news.com [USA]
• Satirenews.co.za [USA]
• Southafricabuzz.co.za [USA]
• South Africa Latest News [UK]
• SouthAfricaToday.net [USA]
• SouthAfricaUncut.com [USA]
• Southern Daily [USA]
• Sultrysource.com [USA]
• TheReports.co.za
• TimesOfBotswana.com
• Timesl1ve.co.za [USA]
• Trendsdaily.co.za [USA]
• Tumfweko.com [USA]
• The-watchdog.wixsite.com [USA]
• ucrtv.com [USA]
• Wmcleaks.com [USA]
• Worldwatch.site [USA]
• Xpouzar.com [USA]
• ZANews.xyz

Please also see the News24 Website Blacklist!

Youtube Channels known to be spreading Fake News or falsehoods:

Loving Life Youtube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7VHcbNIOYJW8Q_r1UywMA
https://www.youtube.com/user/scottbgwb

And here is a list of US Sites which post fake US or World News Articles...
http://www.factcheck.org/2017/07/websites-post-fake-satirical-stories/

Loving Life is not fake on Youtube Channel, I visit it a few times a week on Youtube?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Loving Life is not fake on Youtube Channel, I visit it a few times a week on Youtube?

We added his YouTube channel to our fake news list, because we have on several occasions challenged him about the fake stories he puts into his channel. But he refused to listen and said he would not change his way of doing things. He has also been challenged by many of the councillors for stirring up trouble with his unfounded statements. So we blacklisted him. But he is very popular with the Afrikaans community so many of them just forward his rubbish anyway. His name is Scott Balson and he lives in Australia. He likes to forward stuff that puts the ANC in a bad light but even worse he likes stories that confirm that the black people are making a mess of this country. Even if those stories are not true. News24 has also blacklisted him.

EDIT: I must acknowledge that he did in fact delete most of the videos which were accused of feauturing fake news or being based on fake news, but unfortunatly it was usually AFTER the fact when the damage had already been done.

Last edited:

Puk

We added his YouTube channel to our fake news list, because we have on several occasions challenged him about the fake stories he puts into his channel. But he refused to listen and said he would not change his way of doing things. He has also been challenged by many of the councillors for stirring up trouble with his unfounded statements. So we blacklisted him. But he is very popular with the Afrikaans community so many of them just forward his rubbish anyway. His name is Scott Balson and he lives in Australia. He likes to forward stuff that puts the ANC in a bad light but even worse he likes stories that confirm that the black people are making a mess of this country. Even if those stories are not true. News24 has also blacklisted him.

EDIT: I must acknowledge that he did in fact delete most of the videos which were accused of feauturing fake news or being based on fake news, but unfortunatly it was usually AFTER the fact when the damage had already been done.

I support your decision to blacklist him and I'm Afrikaans. Please know that we're not all that naive to fall for this guy's incoherent, false doomsday negativity. I loathe expats who go on blasting our country once they leave. In my opinion, if you left, you should STFU.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Surprised by that. That's a news aggregator connected to the mainstream Opera browser. I guess they allow crowdsourced news?
Right, that was where it all went awry. Allowing third party news posts.

koeks525

Expert Member

I remember running into one of his videos and was outraged at the content. Never went back again.

Wish we could be nicer to each other.

lexity

Expert Member
1604044239078.png

All of them no doubt highly independent news sources, with every ounce of journalistic integrity in tact.

Read all about it..... apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps...

read some more.... cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases ...

What? Infection Fatality Rate? 0.1% in everyone under 70?

94.6% recovery in those 70 years and older, who become infected?

Nothing to see here... move along.... look over here...

cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases ...

apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps...

Last edited:

louisnelza

View attachment 943152

All of them no doubt highly independent news sources, with every ounce of journalistic integrity in tact.

Read all about it..... apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps...

read some more.... cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases ...

What? Infection Fatality Rate? 0.1% in everyone under 70?

94.6% recovery in those 70 years and older, who become infected?

Nothing to see here... move along.... look over here...

cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases ...

apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps...
The NHS must have a really big advertising budget. No wonder the ANC wants their own NHI.