Lithium Car Battery retailer SA ?

Zuner

Expert Member
This thread is so annoying, and is pointless.
Lead Acid is the cheapest, most available battery that works just fine when used correctly.
OP for crying out loud you are clearly wrong, and not providing specs of everything shows that you know that.

Lithium costs many many thousands of rands, for that price you can buy and replace the lead acid batteries as needed for the next 20 years, while also being safer for you and those around you with no modification or tri-weekly charging needed. Use the spare change for some BMS type device so your car sound doesn't drop the battery too low when you're playing your music with the engine off.

FlyUAv

Pointless to everyone posting replies which is not relevant to my initial post, i did what ordinary people sometimes do.

Topping up a battery to full charge, i did not overcharge it like some trigger happy heads boasts out loud on here. shees, but they keep at it that they know better than the known battery standards of what the limits are, ultimately coining me as doing the wrong thing.

I am doing all to the standards to which batteries are made to do so sorry those on a bashing sprees is only bashing themselves.

You can take a 12v lead acid battery up to 14.40 volts for a short period unless you have a bad cell, that is within the correct standards.That is what happened to me, i took it up to 14.40 volts and it was on that voltage and it had a spill. So possibly a bad cell. There is absolutely nothing Nothing wrong with fully charging your battery, nothing at all.

wrt lithium
Older Lithium problems of runaway thermal has been solved with the latest Life batteries, you don't hear of any stories about the latest Life batteries catching fire. The older lithiums had problems yes.

Finally I was able to bring my resting voltage up to 12.70 volts by float charging my batteries for the past 2 days, which is great !

Where can i find a drainage kit for a battery ? Most importantly i would like to use pipes to plug into the emergency vents. So i can vent it out myself.

as to my sound system, the sound system is a standard JBL sound system factory fitted. So again it has not been modified.

DMNknight

Expert Member
Pointless to everyone posting replies which is not relevant to my initial post, i did what ordinary people sometimes do.

Topping up a battery to full charge, i did not overcharge it like some trigger happy heads boasts out loud on here. shees, but they keep at it that they know better than the known battery standards of what the limits are, ultimately coining me as doing the wrong thing.

I am doing all to the standards to which batteries are made to do so sorry those on a bashing sprees is only bashing themselves.

You can take a 12v lead acid battery up to 14.40 volts for a short period unless you have a bad cell, that is within the correct standards.That is what happened to me, i took it up to 14.40 volts and it was on that voltage and it had a spill. So possibly a bad cell. There is absolutely nothing Nothing wrong with fully charging your battery, nothing at all.
Dude, you need to stop doubling down and getting entrenched in these "standards" that you adhere to so rigorously. Standards are guidelines as to how normal things operate and therefore accurately depict when behaviour can be considered deviant.
Adhering to a standard is in no way a protection for having encountered a deviance, merely an expectation for pushing things to the limits of the standard and expecting standard behaviour.
When things don't operate within those standards, then something is wrong. a.k.a your acid spilled over.

In your case, yes there is something wrong with constantly charging the battery to full charge because it is more than likely this activity that caused the upper limit voltage decrease in capacity, eventually leading to a point where you were overcharging it.

The undervoltage and overvoltage protections are designed precisely because of that. Everytime you pushed the upper limit of your battery charge, you expended a battery "cycle". You more than likely did this a few tens of times you left it on charge for a period of time, because the charger would push 14.4v and cut out.
Natural degradation of the power within the battery drops to 14.3 volts and the charger kicks in, charging to 14.4 and using a "cycle".

The evidence is there, that you were degrading your own battery performance by putting the battery on "top up" charges.
Your battery upper charging limit decreased from 14.4v to 14.3 which is why it then boiled.

wrt lithium
Older Lithium problems of runaway thermal has been solved with the latest Life batteries, you don't hear of any stories about the latest Life batteries catching fire. The older lithiums had problems yes.

Finally I was able to bring my resting voltage up to 12.70 volts by float charging my batteries for the past 2 days, which is great !

Where can i find a drainage kit for a battery ? Most importantly i would like to use pipes to plug into the emergency vents. So i can vent it out myself.

as to my sound system, the sound system is a standard JBL sound system factory fitted. So again it has not been modified.
Thermal runaway in a Li-ion based battery triggers the CID (Circuit Interruption Device) because a hot Li-ion creates an internal short circuit. The CID kills that short circuit and the battery at the same time preventing a fire.
It still means the battery that was working when you parked the car in the morning, is now going to be near useless, if not dead when you return in the afternoon.
That is the risk you will be taking.

However, if you were sold a battery that had the CID manually reset without your knowledge, then thermal runaway is even more likely. Heck, if the CID fails to trigger, you're going to have thermal runaway.
Once the lithium is exposed to Air, it is going to thermally breach the protective casings of the other Li-Ion batteries and then the CID is NOT going to help you.

Lithium is NOT a wrong choice and given the location in your boot I would actually say it would be fairly well protected thermally.
But it is a risk that you must be cognisant of.
Read some more here:
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_concerns_with_li_ion

You're not wrong, you just need to be cognisant of the risks and do what you can to mitigate the issue.

Zuner

Expert Member

wrt lithium

I'm still very confused as to why you having these issues if everything is factory, factory fitted sound systems are not over the top with massive amplifiers drawing massive current. That means the alternator would easily cope with the charging.
The way i see it, regardless of right or wrong you are wasting your time/effort and money on any other solution besides lead acid and even constant top ups regardless of the voltage.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I'm still very confused as to why you having these issues if everything is factory, factory fitted sound systems are not over the top with massive amplifiers drawing massive current. That means the alternator would easily cope with the charging.
The way i see it, regardless of right or wrong you are wasting your time/effort and money on any other solution besides lead acid and even constant top ups regardless of the voltage.
Because everything is not stock, regardless of what he says.. He has a booming sound system by his own words, which instantly makes his car non-stock...

FlyUAv

No my sound system is factory fitted, i did not upgrade it, and i did not say i did, this is a powerful sound system YES but it came out with the car factory fitted, it was a coupe version and they put in the best of the best at that time into it. Anyway it's not the sound draining it, i don't use it that much, and i don't take it to 14.40v every 2 days, the float charge increased my resting voltage and i have had no further spill so the 1 cell might be in better shape now than it was before because of the float charging. Anyway thanks to all the positive replies.

DMKnight noted what you said, sure it make sense, however the newer A123 type Life cells can take a lot of punishment, even directly from the alternator you'd be surprised, they are very rugged cells, but anyway not getting a lithium soon as i would have to buy bulk from overseas to get one for a good price, no cheap retailers in SA which was what i originally wanted to know. Anyway thanks i don't require additional info.

Too many reasons to name over all my years with these heavy acid pig boxes, but the sole one that made me draw the final line is i was charging the battery up which is in my boot, very hard to reach area, the charger will take the battery up to 14.40 volts and not higher, now this is not a problem as 14.40 can be considered it to be fully charged. Never had a problem before.

Well this specific battery gave an over charged symptom, i suppose for this specific battery the voltage could not be kept at 14.40 for too long, even if it was on just a 0.4 amp charge, and there she blows acid out the emergency vents, just for me to find in horror the mess it made in my boot, the carpets, nooks crannies. cracks you name it, the wiring the padding the EVERYTHING was drenched in acid, it has taken me a week to get all the acid out, just to find yet another area where the darned acid accumulated. I dream of the acid monster at night ! So there you go, for the sake of my sanity, never again will i put this 18 century tech in my car again !

I know there are people making these Lithium batteries for racing cars and there was a website selling them when i looked 2 years ago but i just can't seem to find it, if anyone can shed some light as to where i can get them please.
Why do you need to charge your battery?

Secondly, there are safety measures required to charge a car battery. You ignored ALL of them and decide the battery is the problem?

Ok then...

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it either. I have a CTEK battery charger I connect to my battery every single day to keep it topped up. Battery is going on 3 years and hasn't missed a beat. Sometime I forget to hook it up and the car goes weeks without a top up charge yet still starts up first time.
Why? You know you're wasting Electricity right?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
No my sound system is factory fitted, i did not upgrade it, and i did not say i did, this is a powerful sound system YES but it came out with the car factory fitted, it was a coupe version and they put in the best of the best at that time into it. Anyway it's not the sound draining it, i don't use it that much, and i don't take it to 14.40v every 2 days, the float charge increased my resting voltage and i have had no further spill so the 1 cell might be in better shape now than it was before because of the float charging. Anyway thanks to all the positive replies.

DMKnight noted what you said, sure it make sense, however the newer A123 type Life cells can take a lot of punishment, even directly from the alternator you'd be surprised, they are very rugged cells, but anyway not getting a lithium soon as i would have to buy bulk from overseas to get one for a good price, no cheap retailers in SA which was what i originally wanted to know. Anyway thanks i don't require additional info.
Ok, then tell us which car it is.... you seem to be skirting that response constantly.

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
Was waiting for someone to mention CCA on/from lithium, will it even start the car ?
Not sure but it does start a motorbike of the same capacity as the lead acid
EDIT: I am referring to Lead Crystals by the way, not lithium but i do know racing motorbikes use lithium batteries. We bought 2 for work and they are super light, the 220v charger for them was thousands of rands

OP: everyone on this thread is fücking retarded man. I have this Honda Jazz that was chewing through batteries and I was really getting annoyed. Then, I bought one of those Lion batteries and it changed my life. Last battery I ever bought. The health of the battery is still great. I drive her once or twice a week (for now - issues with the gearbox) and she's doing just fine. Look, Lion batteries have shot up because we're using them all over the show for multiple purposes, including off-the-grid lifestyles. Ignore the morons in this thread and do yourself a favour: save up the 0K and buy that delicious piece of ass that is the Lion and never buy another battery again.

Just a word of advice: Keep the dead battery for when you sell the car. Hoof that Lion batter out and keep her for your next car. Really, you can't go wrong. At 20K, it is worth every cent.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
OP: everyone on this thread is fücking retarded man. I have this Honda Jazz that was chewing through batteries and I was really getting annoyed. Then, I bought one of those Lion batteries and it changed my life. Last battery I ever bought. The health of the battery is still great. I drive her once or twice a week (for now - issues with the gearbox) and she's doing just fine. Look, Lion batteries have shot up because we're using them all over the show for multiple purposes, including off-the-grid lifestyles. Ignore the morons in this thread and do yourself a favour: save up the 0K and buy that delicious piece of ass that is the Lion and never buy another battery again.

Just a word of advice: Keep the dead battery for when you sell the car. Hoof that Lion batter out and keep her for your next car. Really, you can't go wrong. At 20K, it is worth every cent.
I'm curious to know when exactly you bought this Li-ion (say it properly if you so passionate about it) ?

Trying to determine its lifespan since all Lithium batteries are generally 10 years.

RedViking

Honorary Master
Damn, the unnecessary trouble and time some people go through just to drive a car.

I ain't got no time for this.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Non-standard setup, but hogs on about standards. Just do it OP, put in a LiOn battery and burn you car to a shell. Please post pics when it happens and be sure to start a thread when insurance tells you to get fscked.

I'm curious to know when exactly you bought this Li-ion (say it properly if you so passionate about it) ?
I call it a Lion because I am so passionate about it. Any idiot can use the science name - it takes a real fan to use a term of endearment. Ion like a Li-ion in Zion. This is what I mean about you squares man. 10 yrs vs the six months normal batteries give you. Of course you gotta go Lion.

Wait, you put a R 20k Battery in a car probably worth only R 40k?

:D