Live streaming - VPN not needed ... or am I just lucky?

FFMG

I will preface by saying that I don't watch a lot of TV, but I do have an IPTV account and I watch mostly sports.

Since the dawn of time, I have always been told that you need a VPN to watch online TV/Streams because the providers will throttle you, but my experience seems to be the opposite.

I have never needed one, yes, some channels buffer from time to time, (rarely), but I suspect it is the provider as I can easily go to another channel with no buffering.

My kids watch Youtube Videos from time to time and they also never buffer, (the videos, not the kids).

So, is a VPN actually needed for live TV? or is it just a myth? Or am I just lucky?

JohnMao

Executive Member
My kids also watch YouTube videos from time to time. No VPN is needed for this...since the dawn of time really.

But try signing up to US Netflix (if you can) and watch that and you'll be blocked. Hence a VPN being needed.

FFMG

My kids also watch YouTube videos from time to time. No VPN is needed for this...since the dawn of time really.

But try signing up to US Netflix (if you can) and watch that and you'll be blocked. Hence a VPN being needed.
Yeah, I get that for geo-blocking you would need a vpn, but for preventing throttling by ISPs I don't think it is needed.

Maybe if you watch (IP)TV 24/7?

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
I will preface by saying that I don't watch a lot of TV, but I do have an IPTV account and I watch mostly sports.

Since the dawn of time, I have always been told that you need a VPN to watch online TV/Streams because the providers will throttle you, but my experience seems to be the opposite.

I have never needed one, yes, some channels buffer from time to time, (rarely), but I suspect it is the provider as I can easily go to another channel with no buffering.

My kids watch Youtube Videos from time to time and they also never buffer, (the videos, not the kids).

So, is a VPN actually needed for live TV? or is it just a myth? Or am I just lucky?
Which IPTV do you use and on what device? PC?

Hemps

Honorary Master
Tried those IPTV services, damn adverts every couple minutes drove me insane.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Yeah, I get that for geo-blocking you would need a vpn, but for preventing throttling by ISPs I don't think it is needed.

Maybe if you watch (IP)TV 24/7?
Most good ISP's now offer an un throttled service, its more likely to be throttled over VPN now.
There are streaming services available in SA so you can use those without a VPN or DNS service: Netflix, Showmax, Amazon, youtube.. and a few others.

The services that you will need a VPN for : Disney+, HULU, HBO, BBC prime, ESPN and many many others

The other thing is that Netflix and Prime have better catalogues if you use a VPN.

FFMG

You mean from the provider or from the TV channel itself?

I have no 'extra' adverts with my provider, but I find that, (generally speaking), US channels have a _lot_ more adverts.
UK and other channels don't have quite has many.

But that's not really the fault of the provider, that's just the channels themselves.

I like to watch them mostly for sports, and none of the "normal" services, (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu etc ..), have sports ... and DSTV is not worth the money.

Hemps

Honorary Master
From channels themselves, crikey Geico adverts , they even repeat the same advert.

Now just download my fav shows onto Nas and watch.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Depends on the ISP.

FFMG

From channels themselves, crikey Geico adverts , they even repeat the same advert.

Now just download my fav shows onto Nas and watch.
Yes, I do that as well, but as I said, I mostly watch sports, and, for sports, it is not possible to do that.

FFMG

Can you maybe recommend a good IPTV service?
I am reluctant to "recommend" anything, 'cause as I said I don't watch IPTV enough to claim that it is all perfect, (maybe it is, maybe it is not).

I am using hydrohosting and the sports section of it work rather well, (I have also watched a couple of other channels from time to time, and they also work fine from what I could tell).

The other one I used in the past is called helixhost, but most of the channels buffered a lot, (and it was definitely their fault), so I would not recommend that one.

labratza

Expert Member
There are a good few. I am using a guy in South Africa and hardly ever have issues. in the year I been using him maybe contacted once

Jettafreak

I am reluctant to "recommend" anything, 'cause as I said I don't watch IPTV enough to claim that it is all perfect, (maybe it is, maybe it is not).

I am using hydrohosting and the sports section of it work rather well, (I have also watched a couple of other channels from time to time, and they also work fine from what I could tell).

The other one I used in the past is called helixhost, but most of the channels buffered a lot, (and it was definitely their fault), so I would not recommend that one.
How do I sign up?