Living abroad

Safferbeauty

Expert Member
This was the toughest decision that I have ever had to make. I have been in South Wales for almost 2.5 years now. I have seen the **** happening in South Africa. It's very heart breaking to see my homeland going down. I have it good here, renting a house with a really awesome friend. In a really rewarding job that I love. Great support to. Have awesome friends too. I have my brother and sister and family here. My mum is sadly back in SA but she is safe, for now at least. I have the opportunity to travel and am incredibly blessed where I am right now. Why is it that I still have a yearning to come back home??

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Get over it.
It's normal but it's a terrible idea right now

Safferbeauty

Expert Member
Oh no I cant anyway and I won't let go of the opportunities that I have here. Just on the odd occasion I do feel a bit homesick, that's all

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Oh no I cant anyway and I won't let go of the opportunities that I have here. Just on the odd occasion I do feel a bit homesick, that's all
Africa gets in your blood.. And then it seems to want to let your blood out.

Safferbeauty

Expert Member
Its really really sad but at least I can come out for a holiday so its cool. Best of both worlds I guess

reactor_sa

Executive Member
What I do to make it more difficult for myself is come back to SA like all the time. It's better that you stayed out for a long time before coming back to visit. The longer you're there the more it will feel like home I think.

Safferbeauty

Expert Member
The only reason I actually go back is to visit my mum, partner, best friend and her sons which happen to be my godsons

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
It's because you miss the familiarity of everything you once knew. Even if everything is great it will never be exactly like home. It's something you honestly just need to accept and move on. The SA you once knew is gone and that is why you left... remember that. Hold on to the fond memories and move on with your life.

cguy

Executive Member
The first time one leaves a country, there is always a longing to return to the familiar.

After I was overseas for about 2 and a half years, I went back for a few weeks, it was great at first, then it felt like I had never left, and I even felt some regret going back to the US. When I returned to the US, what was remarkable, is that it also felt like coming home, because it had been home for quite a while (I hadn’t thought of it this way until then).

Two years later, I went back again - this time around, SA felt a lot stranger. I had changed, and the country had changed (as they tend to do over nearly 5 years). New roads, most of the restaurants I knew were closed, most friends had left the country, different shops, even the city scape had changed. Topics of interest with family and friends were different, etc. I was really happy to get back to the US, which was now where I had my closest friends and home comforts.

Ever since I left (nearly 20 years now), I enjoy my visits, but outside of the homes of my family, I may as well be in Brazil, for how familiar it feels. A big reason for joining this forum was to get a sense of context, so that I can talk to my family about more than just family stuff.

Last edited:

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Because the weather is shyte in the UK, the lack of sun literally causes people to have clinic depression.

losta

Two years later, I went back again - this time around, SA felt a lot stranger. I had changed, and the country had changed (as they tend to do over nearly 5 years). New roads, most of the restaurants I knew were closed, most friends had left the country, different shops, even the city scape had changed. Topics of interest with family and friends were different, etc. I was really happy to get back to the US, which was now where I had my closest friends and home comforts.

Ever since I left (nearly 20 years now), I enjoy my visits, but outside of the homes of my family, I may as well be in Brazil, for how familiar it feels. A big reason for joining this forum was to get a sense of context, so that I can talk to my family about more than just family stuff.
Very recognisable