Living between unused train tracks: 'I will make this shack my home and beautify it with a plastic flower'

jack_spratt

Expert Member
Sonwabo Simayile laughed out loud when one of his new neighbours living between the train tracks at Philippi train station quipped that they were so poor, they were going off the rails.

"It was funny. I was happy to hear a joke, because I am so tired of being desperate and sad," the single father of two said while taking a breather from building his new home.

snip

His solid shack is taking shape – he is in the process of levelling the ground so that he can lay a carpet to keep his new home somewhat warm, he explains.

He will scrape together a few hundred rand for a solid door to keep "bad people" out and then start turning his shack into a home with "nice things" like a plastic flower or two.
Link

Lupus

Honorary Master
Isn't that government property? Oh wait EWC forgot, any unused land can be used. He's also moaning he has to pay R500 for rent and R200 for electricity and if he doesn't his power is cut off? Where is he going to get power from now?

Mila

Honorary Master
"It is therefore imperative that immediate steps are taken to protect this Prasa-land from illegal occupation," Booi said in a statement.
Its land expropriation. You are not using it should be taken away.
Owning it means F-all
Welcome to South Africa, you probably clapped your hands in glee when the laws about expropriation was tabled.

Knyro

Honorary Master
I'm guessing it's cheaper to just abandon the tracks than to salvage the material? :unsure:

John Tempus

And I guess if he gets run over by a train one day it will be everyone elses fault also.

A public article showcasing straight up illegal property and nothing gets done, fantastic, let the good times roll.

Lupus

Honorary Master
And I guess if he gets run over by a train one day it will be everyone elses fault also.

A public article showcasing straight up illegal property and nothing gets done, fantastic, let the good times roll.
It's the perfect example of EWC, it's being taken over, as it's not being used.