Living with an ulcer

SG1

What is your daily water and coffee intake?
I drink about a litre of water, 2 cups of rooibos tea, and half a litre of cranberry juice.
In the morning I start with two cups of high caffeine coffee (Black Insomnia).

maumau

Honorary Master
I've been taking aspirin daily for years because if headaches. Three weeks back I felt like I was dying. Cramps in my sides which doc said were probably period pains. But then the lower back and side pains hit me. According to him, if I don't throw up blood, it's not an ulcer. I have almost constant nausea, especially before or after eating.
................ or ibuprofen), and for the ulcer?

Huh ?

Last edited:

Nike7

There is so much conflicting information out there. I know eating chilies makes symptoms worse, but does it actually prevent the ulcer from healing? What about coffee? Chilies and caffeine are dietary staples for me, but it’s only after eating melted cheese (pizza) that I really suffer.

Just took a tablespoon of Ulsanic and an omeprazole pill so I can sleep. I’m starting to think I will have to stop eating hot wings. :crying:

Nike7

I drink about a litre of water, 2 cups of rooibos tea, and half a litre of cranberry juice.
Black coffee supposedly triggers acid but has nothing to buffer it so it eats away at your stomach. True? I don’t know.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
There is so much conflicting information out there. I know eating chilies makes symptoms worse, but does it actually prevent the ulcer from healing? What about coffee? Chilies and caffeine are dietary staples for me, but it’s only after eating melted cheese (pizza) that I really suffer.

Just took a tablespoon of Ulsanic and an omeprazole pill so I can sleep. I’m starting to think I will have to stop eating hot wings. :crying:
do this test first thing in the morning

SG1

Jinx.. I ordered hot wings for the kids, but didn't take a bite. It's tough. I just took a Nozer (omez generic) and ulsanic. But damn, I would hate to live like this permanently. I know chillies don't cause ulcers, it just makes it worse. I used to eat fried and salted green chillies whole... I miss those days

Tman543

I had a stomach ulcer last year, it was really bad as I didn't know what was going on at first (First time I got it). anything I ate was giving me crazy cramps and pain.
The ulcer was caused by excessive use of ibuprofen due to back pain.

Took antibiotics, PPI and the mayo Gel, which is a life saver. That really helped with the cramps. Drank a bunch of aloe vera water as well...

Needless to say I am staying away from ibrufen as much as possible. Ulcers are no joke. Its so k*k when you cant eat anything without pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: SG1

SG1

I had a stomach ulcer last year, it was really bad as I didn't know what was going on at first (First time I got it). anything I ate was giving me crazy cramps and pain.
The ulcer was caused by excessive use of ibrufen due to back pain.

Took antibiotics, PPI and the mayo Gel, which is a life saver. That really helped with the cramps. Drank a bunch of aloe vera water as well...

Needless to say I am staying away from ibrufen as much as possible. Ulcers are no joke. Its so k*k when you cant eat anything without pain.
How long did it take before it healed?

Jo-deb

50+ years living with this. One Bakers Mari biscuit with a teaspoon of condensed milk . Works wonders, every time

RiaX

Executive Member
Change your diet. Use pantoprazole (dont waste your time with nexium and its generics) for 6 months to a year straight then stop. Also look into ulsanic it will help heal the ulcer no other "antacid" - its expensive yes but itll be worth it. Some gastros like to prescribe it chronically for the first few months. Up to you, your Dr and your budget

Go on what is called a low salicylate diet.

Nike7

Change your diet. Use pantoprazole (dont waste your time with nexium and its generics) for 6 months to a year straight then stop. Also look into ulsanic it will help heal the ulcer no other "antacid" - its expensive yes but itll be worth it. Some gastros like to prescribe it chronically for the first few months. Up to you, your Dr and your budget

What’s wrong with Nexium? Asking because it was prescribed to me before.

Will look into the low salicylate diet, thanks.

EvoX

Why?

RiaX

Executive Member
What’s wrong with Nexium? Asking because it was prescribed to me before.

Will look into the low salicylate diet, thanks.

The PPIs are not created equal. Nexium is more for GORD its more potent than losec (enantiomer). The drug we use for bleeding ulcers or when someone is stabbed in the stomach is pantoprazole.

Will nexium get the job done ? yes. will it get it done as efficiently as pantoprazole in terms of bleeding ulcers ? no, I dont think so

Drs get caught with prescribing habits (especially GPs). From my experience processing gastro scripts they 9/10 times will use pantoprazole for confirmed bleeding ulcers. Also in my clinical experience I have found the patients on pantoprazole to respond better than those on nexium from their feedback

The MOST important factor though is to find one that suits you. If you get no joy from nexium switch it to lansoloc or topzole until you find one that give you said joy.

Fun story I once treated an orthopedic surgeon for his uclers he was adamant PPIs are useless, so I recommended one to him and convinced him to prescribe it for himself ... the man still phones me to this day and prescribes it for all his patients :ROFL:

Stop taking iron based supplements as well... you'll thank me later

Last edited:

SG1

So, would Peploc be a good option? In combination with Ulsanic?

EvoX

I'm a bad sleeper. Unfortunately that won't change.
What do you mean by bad sleeper?
Black insomnia has about 700mg caffeine. You not doing yourself any favours having two or more cups a day.

airborne

Honorary Master
Old boereraat: eat a teaspoon of Zambuk every day.

Dad was about to have part of his stomach removed when his mother in law gave him this advice, no surgery necessary in fact Dr's gast was flabbered.
What is in Zambuk, that's basically petroleum jelly with a few other herbal compounds thrown in the mix?

SG1

Stop eating cheap junk foods, respect your body.
It's not always junk food. In my case, it was coffee and aspirin. To treat constant tiredness from a job that requires working across two time zones, and the headaches I get from that. My general eating is pretty healthy.