Living with an ulcer

EvoX

It's not always junk food. In my case, it was coffee and aspirin. To treat constant tiredness from a job that requires working across two time zones, and the headaches I get from that. My general eating is pretty healthy.
Caffeine withdrawals are causing the headaches.
Find another job or a more natural healthier source of energy.

SG1

Caffeine withdrawals are causing the headaches.
Find another job or a more natural healthier source of energy.
It's not the job. I've tried blue matcha. Doesn't work the same.

RiaX

Executive Member
It's not always junk food. In my case, it was coffee and aspirin. To treat constant tiredness from a job that requires working across two time zones, and the headaches I get from that. My general eating is pretty healthy.

Aspirin will finish your stomach. There are much better medicines out there than aspirin. Unless you have a cardiac/blood issue my advice is to avoid aspirin at all costs ulcer or not.

Rather get a script for the S5 painkillers and keep a stash.

Reactions: SG1

RiaX

Executive Member
So, would Peploc be a good option? In combination with Ulsanic?

Yeah any brand of pantoprazole will do. Dont drink your coffee on an empty stomach. And @EvoX is right you cant be consuming that much caffeine. Caffeine is a xanthine.

I hope you not trying ferrimed and all that for "energy" like they advertise. Check your multivitamin as well for ferrous compounds.

also get a b12 shot if you struggling with energy. The proper stuff IM by the dr/nurse

Last edited:

The Voice

Honorary Master
I drink about a litre of water, 2 cups of rooibos tea, and half a litre of cranberry juice.
In the morning I start with two cups of high caffeine coffee (Black Insomnia).
Stop the coffee immediately. Caffeine is a known migraine trigger, and up your water intake, too, as most headaches are due to dehydration.

SG1

To stop the headaches, I need to sleep properly. Once I get that done, the rest will fall into place. Just got a good tip for that.
For the ulcers, I'll take the peploc and ulsanic. Maybe keep some backup mayogel.
I'll have to stop the coffee, and go back to blue matcha and rooibos.
Thanks for your input everyone.

RiaX

Executive Member
What is in Zambuk, that's basically petroleum jelly with a few other herbal compounds thrown in the mix?

Its wintergreen. Salicylate ointment basically. Thats some crazy stuff it worked lol ... i can understand why the Dr was flabbergasted. The placebo was strong in that one

RiaX

Executive Member
To stop the headaches, I need to sleep properly. Once I get that done, the rest will fall into place. Just got a good top for that.
For the ulcers, I'll take the peploc and ulsanic. Maybe keep some backup mayogel.

No mayogel. Use ulsanic only. If you really really really need extra antacid. Use ENOs (old school powdered ENOs not tums)

When its very bad put the ENOs in your palm and lick it like sherbit let it foam in the mouth then swallow then drink a glass of water afterwards otherwise just use it as directed. Dont buy the orange flavour either

Last edited:

EvoX

To stop the headaches, I need to sleep properly. Once I get that done, the rest will fall into place. Just got a good tip for that.
Also try exercise, either gym, Pilates or yoga... or just jogging.

grok

Honorary Master
Its wintergreen. Salicylate ointment basically. Thats some crazy stuff it worked lol ... i can understand why the Dr was flabbergasted. The placebo was strong in that one
And yet, its a well-known boereraat, you know stuff people used before modern medicine..

Then again whatever, I'm not bovvered whether you follow my advice or not, please enjoy the burn.

RiaX

Executive Member
And yet, its a well-known boereraat, you know stuff people used before modern medicine..

Then again whatever, I'm not bovvered whether you follow my advice or not, please enjoy the burn.

why you getting mad ? if it worked and it worked from placebo who the hell cares ... it worked be happy for the old man

maumau

Honorary Master
why you getting mad ? if it worked and it worked from placebo who the hell cares ... it worked be happy for the old man
Agree, placebo FTW.

If it gets the job done, go for it.

Tman543

No mayogel. Use ulsanic only. If you really really really need extra antacid. Use ENOs (old school powdered ENOs not tums)

When its very bad put the ENOs in your palm and lick it like sherbit let it foam in the mouth then swallow then drink a glass of water afterwards otherwise just use it as directed. Dont buy the orange flavour either
Mayo Gel really helped me so I would recommend any one to try it. It gave instant relief most times.

Nike7

Thanks a lot @RiaX
Mayo Gel really helped me so I would recommend any one to try it. It gave instant relief most times.
I think why he is advising against it is because Ulsanic needs to be in an acidic environment to activate. Mayogel does help with symptoms.

Why are we licking the eno though? :)

RiaX

Executive Member

It'll be temporary. It'll help but won't assist in healing an ulcer. Ulsanic binds to the ulcer.

Thanks a lot @RiaX

I think why he is advising against it is because Ulsanic needs to be in an acidic environment to activate. Mayogel does help with symptoms.

Why are we licking the eno though? :)

To thicken the antacid so it coats and soothes a bit better. Also will have slightly longer contact time with the oesphagus

agustino

It'll be temporary. It'll help but won't assist in healing an ulcer. Ulsanic binds to the ulcer.

To thicken the antacid so it coats and soothes a bit better. Also will have slightly longer contact time with the oesphagus
I get this problem in 2018,But I took strong measure as per Doctors instructions

I avoid all acidity food for one month, Plus pills that I was given it remain history

Most of us we are not following doctors instructions

SG1

Update: it's about a month and a half since I started treating the ulcer. I've discovered a few things. @RiaX is absolutely correct, I'm my case anyway, about pantoprazole and ulsanic being the best solution. Apparently Omez can cause blood clots in people prone to them. So regular INR checks are suggested. I'm sticking to peploc.

I stopped all caffeine, upped my water intake, dropped my Australian projects so I can get proper sleep, and added in 15 minutes of morning cardio and nighttime yoga. I can't say it's been easy, but it's been worth it. No more headaches or coffee cravings.

I'm still getting the cramps, but less often. I definitely think it's a lot better, but that raw pain point on my middle-left back every morning and night kills me. Ulsanic sorts it out within 10 minutes though...

Just a one question :
I know green matcha has caffeine, but is it safe to drink on a full stomach?

RiaX

Executive Member
Update: it's about a month and a half since I started treating the ulcer. I've discovered a few things. @RiaX is absolutely correct, I'm my case anyway, about pantoprazole and ulsanic being the best solution. Apparently Omez can cause blood clots in people prone to them. So regular INR checks are suggested. I'm sticking to peploc.

I stopped all caffeine, upped my water intake, dropped my Australian projects so I can get proper sleep, and added in 15 minutes of morning cardio and nighttime yoga. I can't say it's been easy, but it's been worth it. No more headaches or coffee cravings.

I'm still getting the cramps, but less often. I definitely think it's a lot better, but that raw pain point on my middle-left back every morning and night kills me. Ulsanic sorts it out within 10 minutes though...

Just a one question :
I know green matcha has caffeine, but is it safe to drink on a full stomach?

You welcome. Maintain the lifestyle let the ulcer heal and stop the PPI eventually. Pantoprazole does affect your blood all PPIs do however thats a rare S/E dont stress. I wouldnt even think doing INR is necessary unless you have other issues and your Dr recommends it.

WRT to matcha you shouldnt drink it. Teas are very high in salicylates that can affect the ulcer.

Your objective is to get to a point when you no longer need the PPI or you use it when necessary. This however will take time. Peptic ulcers take long to heal up to a year

EDIT:

@SG1 you should be proud of yourself. Its not easy to make that many changes so quickly. Well done

Last edited:

Defiler

Very informative thread! I've had a sneaky suspicion that I've had a stomach ulcer for the last three years or so. Just like everyone else, my biggest triggers have been caffeine, alcohol, junk food (carbs, like pizza in particular), and hot spices! I've been taking Ulsanic for two weeks and can say that it has worked wonders so far!

I also used to drink copious amounts of coffee when I was working as a Sysadmin. I would drink a liter flask of filter coffee just sitting in traffic before I even got to the office. After I left that job, I would suffer terrible migraines at home if I didn't drink enough coffee. I slowly weened myself off caffeine over three years, with two Genpayne each morning on an empty stomach, which I think caused a pretty bad ulcer. I had extreme bloating, this intense gnawing feeling, like really bad hunger pangs if I didn't eat anything, being unable to pass gas and general discomfort, being really intense most days.

On a couple of occasions, when I thought things were getting better, I would overdo it and suffered the consequences. My stomach would bloat up like a beachball, and I would not be able to eat properly for three days+ and would be terribly thirsty while having a constant low-grade fever... I would always just persevere until I felt relatively normal again.

Anyway, I'm rambling because I've had a couple of gins this evening because I went to the doc today to get this checked out properly (thanks to this thread!), so I'm starting on Lansoprazole 30mg tomorrow before I need to go for a gastroscopy on the 3rd of Feb, so I won't touch any booze, or the aforementioned culprits until I've had a proper diagnosis and things are under control.