Living with an ulcer

killerbyte

Expert Member
Eat your greens... you will suffer from a lack of B12, so either eat your greens or take a B12 supplement at bedtime.

RiaX

Executive Member
Eat your greens... you will suffer from a lack of B12, so either eat your greens or take a B12 supplement at bedtime.

B12 oral supplements are useless. Rather get the IM shot when you at the dr.

AchmatK

Executive Member
As a beekeeper I've been reading a ton of research on various things relating to bees. One of these is propolis.

I made an extract of propolis in olive oil and decided to give it a try the next time my ulcer decides to flare up. Normally I would go on a round of ameprozole 20mg for a month and I'd be fine for the next 6 to 9 months

It's only been 4 days and I've been taking half a teaspoon, once in the morning and again at night with a teaspoon of honey afterwards.

I have a gastric ulcer and when it does flare up I suffer from very bad abdominal pain that wakes me up in the middle of the night and I end up losing out on a lot of sleep.

The only way it would go away is if I take 20mg ameprozole once each morning. Normally by the second morning the pain is gone and I continue taking it for about a month.

Last night was my first night that I did not wake up due to the abdominal pain so it took 3 days for the pain to stop.

I was tempted to just take the ameprozole as the pain 2 nights ago was really unbearable.

I'll continue just on the propolis oil for another two weeks and see how it goes. Just glad that I did not have to stop this trial and resort to going back to the ameprozole.

There are many research articles on propolis and its effect on internal and external ulcers.

This is just a couple that I've already read.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The old myth of not eating chillis turned out to be wrong, about 7 years ago I had an ulcer and avoided chillis. But a buddy of mine was like no man give it a try and see. The chillis actually soothed it, as it stimulates mucus and alkaline build up.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
The old myth of not eating chillis turned out to be wrong, about 7 years ago I had an ulcer and avoided chillis. But a buddy of mine was like no man give it a try and see. The chillis actually soothed it, as it stimulates mucus and alkaline build up.
Yep, I am currently suffering from an ulcer that is acting up (does it every couple of years even put me in ICU for 5 days once) and I chow chillis to get rid of the symptoms. What doesn't help is drinking. If I have a few beers the pain becomes unbearable. Smoking is also not smart.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yep, I am currently suffering from an ulcer that is acting up (does it every couple of years even put me in ICU for 5 days once) and I chow chillis to get rid of the symptoms. What doesn't help is drinking. If I have a few beers the pain becomes unbearable. Smoking is also not smart.
Oh yeah smoking and drinking aren't good, neither is coffee or milk. Rooibos tea is ok, I've not had an ulcer now in 7 years now. In the past it would flare up every 2 years or so.