Expert Member
Load shedding (aka forced power failures) means Eskom want:

a) Tariff Increase
b) Funding for Nuclear
c) Other Reason (please explain)

Please vote your choice.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Last time I checked our electricity demand was the same as pre lockdown, if that's what you mean by crackdown.
yeah i call it a crackdown when they arrest people walking on the beach and beat people carrying groceries back home or drinking beer on their property.

Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I thought we were talking about pre lockdown as per your earlier post?
no, was replying to stage 6 loadshedding, but anyway, also showing you that we are still less than pre-lockdown, 201 in march vs 191 in may vs 220 in may 2019.

JustAsk

Expert Member
Judging by the fact that during the first 2 months of lockdown the load was very low, I'd say people at home use less. We're just easy targets.
Back when loadshedding first started in 2 00? i have learned that household electricity use is just about 20% of all usage in the country.
No amount of less home usage will make any meaningfull difference, which makes this constant warnings just a scam.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Poof! Nothing happened. Our LS period for today did not happen. Presumably, we are now going into a "Guess-when-you-will-be-LS'd" mode.

Last edited:

zoozi

So let's get this straight, during lockdown they were so far under utilised, yet now they are struggling? Perhaps they should approach the companies that came back and tell them to conserve electricity? I mean why do car dealerships have lights running 24/7?
Isn't this a security thing most of the time? Better visibility for CCTV and security personnel. I don't blame them.

JustAsk

Expert Member
I don't believe anything that comes from Eskom. After all, its in their favour to inflate the figures.

Here is a 2017 ESSA graph...

1594559272171.png

If you believe that somehow factories and other heavy use businesses can use lots of power all day and everything will be fine, but as soon as they close and a couple of working people come home and switch on a fcking stove, heater and a light or 2, then all hell breaks loose, then there's something very wrong with you.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I don't believe anything that comes from Eskom. After all, its in their favour to inflate the figures.

Here is a 2017 ESSA graph...

View attachment 873449

If you believe that somehow factories and other heavy use businesses can use lots of power all day and everything will be fine, but as soon as they close and a couple of working people come home and switch on a fcking stove, heater and a light or 2, then all hell breaks loose, then there's something very wrong with you.
picture 1 company having 200 employees going home and switching 200 stoves, geysers and kettles on. there's no doubt residential has an affect, would explain why peak load is in the evening. this is what pumped storage and gas turbines are for, to manage peak for 2 hours, but now they don't have enough base load.

lexis

I thought that the closure of industries like Saldanha Steel and now two Sappi Paper Mills and various others plus factories like Volkswagen going off grid would reduce long term demand sufficiently so that the rest of us, who reduced our demand with gas stoves, LED's etc., would have no problem receiving the little electricity we paid for upfront.

Utterly Confused

So let's get this straight, during lockdown they were so far under utilised, yet now they are struggling? Perhaps they should approach the companies that came back and tell them to conserve electricity? I mean why do car dealerships have lights running 24/7?
Not only that, here in Cape Town the CoCT seem to think that we don't have a power problem. A great deal of our street lights are on 24/7 and that has been since the beginning of lockdown.