Load-shedding backup systems for R50,000 used by Cool Ideas co-founder Paul Butschi and Rain CTO Gustav Schoeman

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
The R50,000 load-shedding backup systems used by Rain and Cool Ideas execs

Rain chief technology officer Gustav Schoeman and Cool Ideas co-owner Paul Butschi are among the many South Africans who have installed backup power solutions at their homes to fight load-shedding.

Numerous households have turned to generators or solar and battery backups to provide power when it’s their turn to endure Eskom’s rotational power cuts.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
GUYS! You math is bs! - OPR120's will never cost R1200 ea. 5kw inverter for R4k? BS
In fairness to the journo, the article did state
The inverter was bought at a discount from someone who had emigrated from South Africa

I agree on the batteries though, the retail price is 3x what was quoted. Maybe they were second hand, someone threw out their dead acid in favour of lithiums?

edit: The takeaway is that he made a plan, used all resources at his disposal creatively to install a cost effective backup, as well as shave his electricity bill.

km2

Expert Member
We bought those bats in 2018, pricing was very different then. The inverter I bought second hand from a guy leaving the country. Even though it was still in its crate and brand new, I bought a TV from him as well at a bargain.
Still that would have needed to be a very good deal. Looking back at my own invoice from 23/05/2018 I paid R2995 inc VAT for an OPR120.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Still that would have needed to be a very good deal. Looking back at my own invoice from 23/05/2018 I paid R2995 inc VAT for an OPR120.
Ja not sure we bought a bunch for our highsites and pops at the time.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
These are really affordable solutions. It would be great if the article graphed the payback period with avg. Eskom increases as well as Advantages / Disadvantages of the system (from the owner's perspective)

Cactus75

I’m sorry to say that the math on Mr Butschi’s system is wrong, if I calculate his system cost based on the stated (BS) figures it comes to a total cost of R61 108 not R51 508 as stated. Furthermore lead acid batteries generally don’t have a four year usable life even when babied. It’s claimed that this system has paid itself many times over yet if the generated electricity is calculated back (at today’s rates not 2018’s rates) then the system has produced a little over R21 000 worth of electricity, about a third of the system cost.
A very misleading article to anyone thinking of buying a system.

Lupus

Honorary Master
How does it feel to be rich ne? Does SARS know about your windfall?
Bragging on a forum about solar installations, reminds me of bragging on a forum back in 2002 about the size of one's anime DVD collection... wowser
What are you smoking? There are users on here with far far bigger solar installations, it's what a lot of people are turning too to stave off power failures.