Load shedding prevention in Cape Town and Joburg – don’t bank on it

Napalm

Expert Member
yee. take that one with a little pinch of salt.... (with a backup candle in the other hand)

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
I'm not banking on it, but it sure felt good the last 3 times I saw Eskom announced Stage 1 and then CT countered that the lights would stay on

It's worth the premium we pay on power, for that benefit - although Steenbras was commissioned before most forumites were born

There was confusion when CT announced they could avoid a blackout but then Eskom, not to be outdone, jumped swiftly through to Stage 2 a few minutes later

JStrike

Honorary Master
CoCT has managed to avert loadshedding every day since last thursday.
Lets hope they manage to save us again this evening

mmacleod

"CoCT has managed to avert loadshedding every day since last thursday"
Not for helderberg side they haven't.
It's ironic because Steenbraas is right here in helderberg and we pay the same 'premium' that chris is talking about above, so much for fairness.

bromster

Expert Member
I spoke to my mom in PE the other day and it seems the rest of the country is getting peed off because ct and Jozi are getting special treatment. Then I laughed at her and went to watch series...

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
CoCT has managed to avert loadshedding every day since last thursday.
Lets hope they manage to save us again this evening
"CoCT has managed to avert loadshedding every day since last thursday"
Not for helderberg side they haven't.
It's ironic because Steenbraas is right here in helderberg and we pay the same 'premium' that chris is talking about above, so much for fairness.
Nope, was loadshed on Fr and Saturday night.
A lot of the surrounding areas aren't supplied by COCT but directly from Eskom. Table View is one of those areas too.

mmacleod

A lot of the surrounding areas aren't supplied by COCT but directly from Eskom. Table View is one of those areas too.
That is an oversimplification though, we *are* supplied by COCT in Gordons Bay because we pay COCT rates, see also https://www.capetown.gov.za/en/electricity/Pages/LoadShedding.aspx where it is clear that we are not considered Eskom customers but COCT customers

So what we have is some kind of 'have your cake and eat it too' scenario (for COCT) and worst of both worlds scenario (for the consumer) where COCT gets to charge us their huge marked up rates, but when it comes to delivery we get shunted with the other Eskom customers.

Table view is different - they pay Eskom rates and are Eskom customers.
See https://www.capetown.gov.za/en/electricity/LS2015/EG2014_02_AllAreas-s.jpg the unshaded areas are 'Eskom' - Gordons Bay is quite clearly shaded.

Last edited:

ashfaak

I thought CT paid extra because of transmission losses? That would explain why you pay the same rates as CoCT while being supplied by Eskom.

Edit: Can anyone confirm the rates in Table View?

Last edited:

mmacleod

I thought CT paid extra because of transmission losses? That would explain why you pay the same rates as CoCT while being supplied by Eskom.

Edit: Can anyone confirm the rates in Table View?
It is my understanding that areas that are supplied directly by Eskom get a cheaper rate, without the (rather exorbitant) markup that COCT (and other municipalities) put on it - e.g. this article where it states at the bottom that Table View is not affected by the increase
http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Electricity-price-hikes-for-Cape-Town-20120627

It would be great if someone from Table View or a similar area can give a confirmation here.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
It is my understanding that areas that are supplied directly by Eskom get a cheaper rate, without the (rather exorbitant) markup that COCT (and other municipalities) put on it - e.g. this article where it states at the bottom that Table View is not affected by the increase
http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Electricity-price-hikes-for-Cape-Town-20120627

It would be great if someone from Table View or a similar area can give a confirmation here.
Yes, just checked my electricity bill. Directly from Eskom.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
If they have "spare" capacity then why aren't said plants feeding power into the grid 24/7?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
If you don't mind telling us, what is your rate per unit?
Sorry, I can't find where I put it. Will look again tomorrow.
I just had it before :(

It is a separate bill from municipality with Eskom logo on it and everything. Will ask the maid to help me tomorrow.

mmacleod

If they have "spare" capacity then why aren't said plants feeding power into the grid 24/7?
It's a pump hydro station, pumps water to an upper dam using electricity and then unleashes it through turbines to generate electricity - so its entire purpose is basically to store off peak power to be used during peak times (Like a giant mechanical battery), not something that can be used 24/7.

vaakseun

It's a pump hydro station, pumps water to an upper dam using electricity and then unleashes it through turbines to generate electricity - so its entire purpose is basically to store off peak power to be used during peak times (Like a giant mechanical battery), not something that can be used 24/7.
Quite right. They refill late at night/early hours during off peak. The Steenbras pumped storage scheme can generate around 180MW but it costs about 215MW to "charge" it. So it effectively wastes more electricity than it generates but it eases the burden during peak demand.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
No my point is why does CPT & JHB have private power capacity that they only use for themselves?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
No my point is why does CPT & JHB have private power capacity that they only use for themselves?
Because they own it and they serve their own customers first.
It is barely enough to stop stage 1 load shedding sometimes.

*I am not benefiting from it either, I am a direct Eskom customer*