Load-shedding will return in South Africa

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Well that's exactly the point. Switch it off and then back on again. And just before that cell towers have issues like they usually do in adjacent areas when there's a rolling blackout but come back on when it's our turn. So why switch it off like that when there's not supposed to be load shedding? Seems fishy.
A blackout. Very very fishy.

Paul_S

Expert Member
Well that's exactly the point. Switch it off and then back on again. And just before that cell towers have issues like they usually do in adjacent areas when there's a rolling blackout but come back on when it's our turn. So why switch it off like that when there's not supposed to be load shedding? Seems fishy.
If you're receiving your electricity from a municipal provider instead of directly from Eskom then there could be a multitude of reasons why the power was interrupted for a short duration.
Most municipalities run their own electricity distribution networks so they're responsible for most of their own infrastructure.

Some examples:
- Short break in power to provision power to a new property (municipal electrician switches off the power to the street for a few minutes while the work is done).
- Break in power to perform routine maintenance on transformers, switch gear, etc.
- Circuit breakers can also trip when there is a problem or overloading and need to be reset.

Swa

Honorary Master
If you're receiving your electricity from a municipal provider instead of directly from Eskom then there could be a multitude of reasons why the power was interrupted for a short duration.
Most municipalities run their own electricity distribution networks so they're responsible for most of their own infrastructure.

Some examples:
- Short break in power to provision power to a new property (municipal electrician switches off the power to the street for a few minutes while the work is done).
- Break in power to perform routine maintenance on transformers, switch gear, etc.
- Circuit breakers can also trip when there is a problem or overloading and need to be reset.
A rolling blackout which only occurs during load shedding and follows the schedule? Ockham's razor would have it there's more to it than just some coincidences.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
How does "the festive holiday period" only end in Mid-Jan? :unsure:

SOE festive holiday period?

krycor

Honorary Master
Solar PV currently makes sense for a grid-tie setup with little battery capacity. Large battery banks are expensive and often need to be replaced every few years due to low battery quality, deep discharge cycles, etc.

However if Eskom gets 15% increases every year for the next three years it means that we'll be paying well over R2/kWh which makes it much easier to contemplate even an off-grid solution.
It's definitely on my TODO list for 2020 or 2021 once I've replaced the electric stove/oven and sorted out some home maintenance.
I'll use a grid-tie, battery backup setup with PV panels and just enough battery capacity for a few lights and TV at night. Can probably do a reasonable system for under R60K.
e.g.
https://www.sustainable.co.za/axpert-mks-3kwh-48v-off-grid-hybrid-kit.html
https://www.sustainable.co.za/imeon-3-6-hybrid-solar-power-kit.html

However I expect municipal rates and taxes to sky rocket as a result of people switching to solar since municipalities make most of their income through electricity sales. :cautious:
That’s the bigger issue.. municipal debt and services. Not sure if everyone is aware of the exact debt your municipality has nor how they provide the services they do.

Everyone focuses on Eskom and national gov but locally things are dire and their service cost is like the fuel tax ie not ring fenced at all with a lot of the corruption happening at municipal level too.

Paul_S

Expert Member
That’s the bigger issue.. municipal debt and services. Not sure if everyone is aware of the exact debt your municipality has nor how they provide the services they do.

Everyone focuses on Eskom and national gov but locally things are dire and their service cost is like the fuel tax ie not ring fenced at all with a lot of the corruption happening at municipal level too.
I've also noticed that many people are either becoming self-sufficient in cities or in the process of planning to do so.
People are setting up solar systems, sinking boreholes, installing reverse osmosis water purification systems, etc. and can easily disconnect from municipal services.
The only way municipalities can make money once people self provision water and electricity is through rates and taxes and possibly refuse removal but they can't be hiked too much else people will simply refuse to pay or dump their trash on the streets.

The bigger issue for municipalities is that they will no longer have any leverage to make people pay. They can't cut your water and electricity off if you're self-sufficient and they can't prosecute millions of people simultaneously. It's another etoll type revolt in the making.
It will be a few years before that happens but I think HKGK.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I've also noticed that many people are either becoming self-sufficient in cities or in the process of planning to do so.
People are setting up solar systems, sinking boreholes, installing reverse osmosis water purification systems, etc. and can easily disconnect from municipal services.
The only way municipalities can make money once people self provision water and electricity is through rates and taxes and possibly refuse removal but they can't be hiked too much else people will simply refuse to pay or dump their trash on the streets.

The bigger issue for municipalities is that they will no longer have any leverage to make people pay. They can't cut your water and electricity off if you're self-sufficient and they can't prosecute millions of people simultaneously. It's another etoll type revolt in the making.
Well they need to feel the return slap for being arseholes hey

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
It will never end. It will just get worse until eventually, like up north, more off than on and no one notices or complains as its just standard, if on, bonus, if not, just another day... and of course, wmc/apartheid/jan etc to blame... I remember when it first started, everyone would rage... now, I look at nephew(11) for example, doesn't even blink, its just the way of the world to him, something he's had on and off his entire life... just an 'oh, shrug'... :(
We could do without this negativity.

Sugarman

Making Sugar
We could do without this negativity.
It's true though.
There is no hope in this country, things are just getting worse.
Most of the rats has already left this sinking ship of a country, the hole in the hull is way to big to fix now.

Swa

Honorary Master

When that happens it will simply be funded by national government and they will up taxes. You can never win. So pay even if you have to provide yourself like has happened with medical, security and many other things.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I live where I can watch ships at anchor in table bay.
In the good years (eg 2008) there were an average of 9.
Since July 2017 there have been none on average. Nada, Zero.
Even "the Xmas rush" at start Dec, was just a damp squib with one or two.
We are in sh it trouble!
I work overlooking the bay of Durban... Haven't noticed a change in the number of ships at anchor...