Local AWS and Azure servers - What this means for South Africa

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Local AWS and Azure servers - What this means for South Africa

The arrival of hyperscale cloud platforms in South Africa is great news for local developers with relevant skills, and it means “adapt or die” for industry players.

This is according to RSAWEB, a South African ISP which offers a range of connectivity and data products to consumers and businesses.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Kan hulle PUBG op dit host? Anders :thumbsdown:
If PUBG has its servers hosted on either of these platforms then yes, it makes it a lot easier for them to deploy local servers although not guaranteed but it makes the process of deploying instances extremely simple.

SouthParkMordy

If I am not mistaken, does EA and Fortnite not have AWS servers? Then we can finally have local servers if the developers decide to do so.

Hunted

If PUBG has its servers hosted on either of these platforms then yes, it makes it a lot easier for them to deploy local servers although not guaranteed but it makes the process of deploying instances extremely simple.
Yeah PUBG PC is hosted on Amazon servers and PUBG console on Microsoft if I'm not mistaken.

The question is if the AAA game franchises will be spending money here to do that. Guess it all depends how much it will cost to host a game like PUBG / Rainbow Six locally.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Title should have been "What local AWS and Azure mean for RSAWeb"
should probably have been tagged as partner content too

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Retiring some local servers and migrating to AWS as soon as they launch locally

smi

Expert Member
I wanted to know where servers the games I play are located.

Using packet scanner most of the games where at AWS East US and Central US

War wings was US AWS East Coast
PUBG uses AWS, last time I played was 6 months or more

quovadis

Expert Member
If I am not mistaken, does EA and Fortnite not have AWS servers? Then we can finally have local servers if the developers decide to do so.
It has more to do with the actual demand for the servers. Not quite sure how many ZA players there are but you'd need tens of thousands of constantly active users to ensure the servers always have games running.

Doom5003

It has more to do with the actual demand for the servers. Not quite sure how many ZA players there are but you'd need tens of thousands of constantly active users to ensure the servers always have games running.
And this right here is the reason we wont be seeing any local servers. Player base is no where near high enough. Waiting times alone would kill any local games.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
And this right here is the reason we wont be seeing any local servers. Player base is no where near high enough. Waiting times alone would kill any local games.
I actually think Fortnite has the playerbase, especially since it's across PC, PS4 and Xbox plus the mobile versions.

bratwurst

Expert Member
Not necessarily. Pupg, fortnite and many other games that make use of AWS use scaling. It will spin up more instances as demand rises. So they could have 1 to 2 instances running at all times and it won't even put a dent in their pocket. If there is in an influx of players at X time it will spin up another instance and shutdown again if not needed.

quovadis

Expert Member
Not necessarily. Pupg, fortnite and many other games that make use of AWS use scaling. It will spin up more instances as demand rises. So they could have 1 to 2 instances running at all times and it won't even put a dent in their pocket. If there is in an influx of players at X time it will spin up another instance and shutdown again if not needed.
That isn't the point that's being made. It's not the load or the scaling but the lack of players - unless it's ok to wait 20-30minutes between games waiting for 100 people to be available. You'd need easily a few thousand to get the wait time of a couple minutes between games starting.