Local iPod prices disappoint

FireTelkom

It will be interesting for the writer of this article to also look at the prices in Europe. Compared to the UK and Netherlands prices, our prices are much closer. Also remember that the prices quoted in the United States exclude Sales Tax, that can amount to more than 20% depending on state. The lowest sales tax rate will be about 16%.

I recently decided not to buy accessories in the UK because it was cheaper in SA. The products in question was the new software Ilife 08 and Iworks 08.

In the rest of the world Apple distributes their own products bu in Africa they are doing it through a distributor, namely the Core group. If you check the Apple websites e-business sites like Itunes, you will find that as South African we cannot purchase from that sites.

Regards

FireTelkom

pkid

Expert Member
Not being able to buy from iTunes is one of the main reasons why I don't have an iPod. It is so frustrating that we cannot make use of a lot of overseas products here. For example we can't receive Paypal payments either.

Axis

Someone should contact Apple in the US to see if they know about this. Last time I did something like this with a supplier of certain imported goods in South Africa, the international suppliers made the local guys phone me to apologise and made the goods available to me at a reduced price. I love the age of the Internet. They can't pull the wool over our eyes any more.

Last edited:

rpm

Admin
Staff member
It will be interesting for the writer of this article to also look at the prices in Europe. Compared to the UK and Netherlands prices, our prices are much closer. Also remember that the prices quoted in the United States exclude Sales Tax, that can amount to more than 20% depending on state. The lowest sales tax rate will be about 16%.

I recently decided not to buy accessories in the UK because it was cheaper in SA. The products in question was the new software Ilife 08 and Iworks 08.

In the rest of the world Apple distributes their own products bu in Africa they are doing it through a distributor, namely the Core group. If you check the Apple websites e-business sites like Itunes, you will find that as South African we cannot purchase from that sites.
There may indeed be very legitimate reasons for the high comparative pricing, but why does Core not explain their situation? I tried on various occasions and various days to get feedback from the company without success. It leaves one with no choice but to ask the question in an article…

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Also remember that the prices quoted in the United States exclude Sales Tax, that can amount to more than 20% depending on state. The lowest sales tax rate will be about 16%.
Your sales tax figures are way out - the state with the highest rate is Tennessee (at 9.35%) and many states have no sales tax at all.

Until recently I would agree that SA's prices were on par with, or in certain cases were cheaper than, UK prices but that worm has turned with the new iPods and imo Core is clearly guilty of price gouging.

Nod

Executive Member
A bit off topic here, but can't the links at the bottom to be made shorter, by using a href instead of the whole link? If the browser is not at full screen, the text of the article is not visible. Or is it just me?

feo

Honorary Master
Im going to send both Core and Apple emails about this. Im definitely gonna be in the market for a new iPod Touch near the holiday season and theres no way Im letting Core get away with robbery like this. I suggest the forumites that have bought Apple products before do the same. We cant just sit back and accept these prices.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
A bit off topic here, but can't the links at the bottom to be made shorter, by using a href instead of the whole link? If the browser is not at full screen, the text of the article is not visible. Or is it just me?
Guilty as charged...fixed :D

Core is ZAstore

As a matter of interest i deal with Core on almost a daily basis and their service levels are abyssmal at best...

And ZAstore and Core are the same company so they have the monopoly on Apple products in SA hence the price inflation

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Im going to send both Core and Apple emails about this. Im definitely gonna be in the market for a new iPod Touch near the holiday season and theres no way Im letting Core get away with robbery like this. I suggest the forumites that have bought Apple products before do the same. We cant just sit back and accept these prices.
I make it a point to buy as many of my apple products as possible from overseas.

Core's MO seems clear to me. While higher margins means lower sales Core still remains profitable (due to the overall appeal of the Apple brand). It also means that Apple's interest in having an official presence in SA isn't piqued and Core can do as they see fit.

It it any wonder why the Wii will reportedly cost about the same as a basic 360? Thanks Core.

FoxFive50

As far as I understand zastore is run and operated by Core group.

I seem to recall that there was stink from Apple resellers when zastore went live and undercut the resellers because zastore was simply a webfront end to Core Group distribution system. (Happy to be corrected as always but I think I'm right about this.)

ipodmusicman

That is why I bought my iPod 4G in the USA 3 years ago and why I will do it again when I decide to buy a new iPod. I think we get exstorted here in SA when it comes to consumer electronics in general.

Also one thing to note is that the US price includes a profit margin for the retailer, virtually all Apple products are manufacturered in the Far East, so import costs from the Far East into the USA are also included in the price too.

So where are the Core group getting all Apple products from? From the US? If that is the case, then somebody is not doing their job in making sure that agreements are in place so that Apple products can come directly from China where they are manufacturered and so are imported at the cost price.

But I still think that The Core Group are capatilist pigs who want to milk the SA consumer for all they got with the Apple products. I think this is PATHETIC! But then, that is what a typical SA company is like right? Telkom, Multichoice, the cell networks, etc, etc, etc. I don't have a problem with making a profit, but damn, just don't exstort people.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
As far as I understand zastore is run and operated by Core group.

I seem to recall that there was stink from Apple resellers when zastore went live and undercut the resellers because zastore was simply a webfront end to Core Group distribution system. (Happy to be corrected as always but I think I'm right about this.)
Indeed it is - much like the insidious relationship between Telkom and Telkom Internet/Do Broadband.

RolandD2

The article calculates the price difference percentage as the difference divided by US price, but the table calculates the price difference percentage as the difference divided by ZA price ?

Sarge

Blatant profiteering... Kind of like a certain couple of other companies in SA... *cough* Hellkom *cough*

antowan

Honorary Master
But I still think that The Core Group are capatilist pigs who want to milk the SA consumer for all they got with the Apple products. I think this is PATHETIC! But then, that is what a typical SA company is like right? Telkom, Multichoice, the cell networks, etc, etc, etc. I don't have a problem with making a profit, but damn, just don't exstort people.

I like capitalist pigs! They tend to be quite pricing aware. It is when you have one capitalist pig in a pen that the trouble starts ala Telkom... There always needs to be more than one pig in a pen for these beasts to be any worth to us. ;)

A good farmer (government) would put these pigs down if they are left alone or get some more pigs in the pen.

We are unfortunately stuck with a bad farmer.

Last edited:

greggpb

Expert Member
Bought a 4gb Nano is london last month... 9 pounds thne i got my vat back worked out to 85 pounds, about 1200 for the nano... good buy..

Jonny Two Shoes

Expert Member
I took one look at an I-POD Docking point at Look & Listen, saw the price tag at 1K, and said, "Holy Sh!te I am never buying an i-pod as long as I live.". I will stick to my cellphone thank you very much :D

codevader

This seems to be a theme for Core Group. They've been overpricing Apple products for years. Its no wonder that Apple isn't anywhere near as popular here as it is in the US.

Now they're bringing in the Wii too, and the pricing there is following the same trend.

As for their attitude to answering questions, I guess that just confirms everyone's suspicions that these guys are not too cared about the customer.