Local second hand store scam

NiclanAustin

Good day,

If this is in the wrong forum please correct me.

I recently bought a computer from a local second hand store. In store, they refused that i opened the case, so i open dxdiag and sysinfo32, and the properties on my computer, all stated that i was buying a 6600K, and the sign clearly advertised a 6600K for R2500, after i came home i opened my new gaming rig, i noticed that the motherboard was green, and the RAM ddr2, so i removed the cooler to find a Q8500, i booted it up, and there stood Q8500 in all the above mentioned checking mechanisms. As a 6600k would mean a lot more to me as a student than R2500. Is there anyway i can legally force them to give me the advertised product?, else can I atleast have my R2500 back.

Extra information:

I noticed this store does this trick on most of their computers, selling computers showing Intel(R) 7500K (2 CPUS) in above mentioned mechanisms, and the 7500k does not have two cores. One of my fellow students told me that they have queried management about it, and they refused to investigate, witch lead me to believe that the manager is aware of this process.

Furthermore i would like to inform the public in a legal manner so that no one gets scammed by these people again.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

e4et

Expert Member
a trip into the bios could maybe have saved you some headache.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Yeah thats fraud. Report to police and possibly follow up with a legal letter.

Lupus

Honorary Master
There is no Q8500 CPU?? There was a Q8400 unless you meant an e8500 which is a ten year old CPU and I would take it further as it's fraud to advertise one thing and give another.
Then again at the prices I've seen people advertising second computers for R2500 is to little for an i5 computer, people are advertising machines as Gaming PCs and they've got freaking AMD Radeon 6870s in them so 8 year old machines still listed as Gaming and they want 5k.

schuits

Expert Member
But you checked it before buying it and it was a 6600k. How did it suddenly report a different CPU when you got home?

NiclanAustin

Batista

Executive Member
Very sneaky, maybe catch them out and video it next time?

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Simple - Take it back and ask for a new one, saying it's not what was advertised. Take a friend along as a witness and record the ordeal.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
just take it back and tell to fix, or better refund otherwise you will open a case of fraud.
Name and shame.

e4et

Expert Member
Why would they refund him when he clearly changed the cpu ?

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Why would they refund him when he clearly changed the cpu ?
6600K is a completely different chipset to the one he's reporting. So different in fact that it'll require different motherboard and RAM. Should be easy to prove.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Take it back, and if they don't want to I'll take that Q8500 off your hands, not for R2500 though

Toxxyc

Expert Member
CPA protects him, so even if he brings it back without the above complaints they have to take it back.

D4N_CPT

Just as a side note on the above situation, it would seem that this scenario which is playing off, would have the store (if they are in fact as sneaky as you say) steering towards a situation where they will refuse to take responsibility on the basis that you could have swapped out the Mainboard, RAM and CPU, before returning to the store again.

I do hope that the store will not do this, nor that you have swapped out any parts...

Of course a Warranty Tamper Sticker would have avoided such a situation entirely...

If you swapped out parts, you can figure out what to do on your own.

If the store will go down this road, you will have to get someone else (they know your face now) to buy another setup on "hidden" camera and inspect the system on said film upon successful purchase. This will provide sufficient evidence for a case against them.

e4et

Expert Member
6600K is a completely different chipset to the one he's reporting. So different in fact that it'll require different motherboard and RAM. Should be easy to prove.
I know, I was just playing devil's advocate.
I assume the receipt they gave him states that they sold him X and now he claims that they actually sold him Y.
Might be difficult to take them to task, hope he does manage though.