Local soccer set to return to the SABC

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Local soccer set to return to the SABC

The SABC and MultiChoice have reached an agreement regarding the broadcast rights for local Premier Soccer League matches.

SABC News reported that both parties have reached a compromise after the SABC previously failed to reach the required licence agreement with the PSL and SuperSport.

thechamp

Honorary Master
The agreement is that the SABC are getting the rights for free, no two ways about it.

stepper

Expert Member
There are rumours some league sponsors were threatening to pull out as the promised exposure for their products to masses was no longer there.

Pythonista

Sometimes I wonder about the true support of local soccer - on the (very) odd occasion that I've seen a snippet of soccer on TV, the stadium has had LESS spectators than club cricket venues have. And looking at the quality of the soccer itself, that's hardly surprising too.

Corelli

Expert Member
Not Tito but the tax payer is writing a cheque. We will now loose portions of our pensions, and higher taxes to pay for this crap. Personally make SABC pay to view, and you will see how little money they actually raise.

I replaced my parents' tv in SA with a Dell HD 55" Monitor for watching Netflix. As such I told SABC where they can shove their license.

It's so easy to read news with videos on the internet, so why bother with TV and news. It will be one less zombie paying for a tv license showing propoganda

thechamp

Honorary Master
Sometimes I wonder about the true support of local soccer - on the (very) odd occasion that I've seen a snippet of soccer on TV, the stadium has had LESS spectators than club cricket venues have. And looking at the quality of the soccer itself, that's hardly surprising too.
It boils down to means, compare that to the viewership numbers if you can find them. Also take some time to look at the attendance when Black Leopards is playing in Venda, you will see a packed stadium because it is just easier for people to get to the stadium. Try driving to FNB on a weekday when there is a game 19:30, absolute chaos, no one has time for that if you can just sit at home and watch on TV.