Local telecoms operators' online support: Who sucks and who doesn't

Mbuzi

Expert Member
Vodacom has always come up tops in terms of online support for 100% of my queries. I am still waiting for MTN to respond to my email and fax sent in 2009 September.

Nicko

Expert Member
This shows nothing... If you really wanted it to be of any use, you should have atleast done the best of 3 so you have a larger sample space.

Niren_M

Tells you which of these companies actually treat customers with respect! As far as MTN goes (being one of the giants here), I have heard and seen enough not to port or buy any products from them in the near future.

drukkie

Expert Member
Fraud case with MTN....took 6 months and they still blacklisted me...
Just posted on hello peter and it was sorted in 2 weeks.

freematrix

This made me laugh. Totally opposite to what I expected. Telkom may be actually trying and succeeding. Their ADSL SMS supports also not bad. Worked for me 2 times already.

falcon786

Executive Member
Hmm ok maybe online support is shady from MTN but gotta say that their call centers answer very very fast(i wait few seconds at most!) and from there the query gets resolved quickly.

IMO this is only a very small part of support and support in general should not be judged from this article.

b166er

It is not only support that has this problem, but also sales. I tried to get some info out of Cell C for a phone contract, but after 3 emails nobody replied (even after 3 months). I emailed 8ta to query their contracts, no reply.

Try contacting MTN via email if you are not a subscriber with them. It is not possible.

Telkom...well I had a very relaxing 25 minute wait on 10210 just last night to sort out my ADSL issues that have been ongoing since I logged a fault in January.

It is simply incredible how consumers get treated by these sharks.

Mouse

Expert Member
Hmm ok maybe online support is shady from MTN but gotta say that their call centers answer very very fast(i wait few seconds at most!) and from there the query gets resolved quickly..
I had a different experience with mtn support. It took 3 calls to their call center to deal with one issue,
and for another problem (porting TO mtn) It took 3 HelloPeter complaints until they eventually fixed it (and I had no access to my number for 5 weeks)

McGuywer

Executive Member
Wow!

Amazed. 40 minutes. I presume you used a @mybroadband.co.za email account... :D

With a @nobodyimportant.tld email account, I have to wait atleast 40 hours...

Well I can say for myself I loathe calling Telkom, because you have to enter your telephone number, sometimes twice so that they know who you are, but then you still have to repeat your number to the operators. And I've had plenty of frustration. Contradictory information. Also they are just incapable of giving refunds via EFT.. You have to physically go to a Telkom shop. Never mind that I almost never go to malls (usually where these shops are located) but if you get to one of these shops and there are 3 people in the line then you can ready yourself for a 3 hour wait.

m4dh4tt3r

Wow!

Amazed. 40 minutes. I presume you used a @mybroadband.co.za email account... :D

With a @nobodyimportant.tld email account, I have to wait atleast 40 hours...
+1 :D

Although i must admit working for an ISP, there are some channels that can be used to get a faster response. but the general response time is 24hours + atleast.

Avenue

Expert Member
Im not surprised Cell-C didn't get back to you their help desk SUCKS.

During the time of testing the Neotel website was down. It was therefore not possible to test Neotel’s online support.
rofl

MrNeedforSpeed

This shows nothing... If you really wanted it to be of any use, you should have atleast done the best of 3 so you have a larger sample space.
Agreed, submit 10 requests for each of them and look at the result then...

Oh, and I bet the Telkom one was a one in a million luck shot... :whistling:

MickZA

Executive Member
The Telkom results don't surprise me but I'll bet a few other forumites jaws dropped :)

If you can avoid their useless call centre and use the other contact methods - SMS, online & Telkom Direct shops - you usually get your problems/queries resolved promptly.