Local VPS proider that also provides trial VPS accounts

flbjhb

I am considering moving my services from a US-based VPS provider to SA.

I had quite a bit of issues getting my system running on the VPS it is on now so Im looking for a local VPS provider that gives trial vps so that I can test performance of my services as well as speed and latency.

Any recommendations?

flbjhb

Thanx Guys. Will try them. The banner on RSAWeb to trial gives a page not found error so will check them later after finalising tests on web telecoms vps.

bvonfintel

From personal experience, I've found the difference between local and international VPS is not as much about performance as it is about when things wrong. I'll never use another provider that 1) doesn't support images/snapshots of your VPS. 3 days of downtime with no way of restoring the service is simply not acceptable 2) provides decent management via their control panel - here's looking at you RSAWeb and Hetzner. We've recently moved our services back to Rackspace - latency might be higher but speed is about the same.

Oceanhost

Oceanhost representative
Company Rep
Hi. We can also offer you a free trial for testing. I have sent you a PM with the details.

flbjhb

Hi bvonfintel

That's one of the reasons I want to move my VPS servers. There was an incident of some sorts at my existing provider and the only thing I could do was re install OS. No backups of the actual VPS.

Web Telecoms does have backup / images available of VPS's so a noddy badge for them. If RSAWeb doesn't have backup options it will be pretty pointless to test them I guess.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Hi bvonfintel

That's one of the reasons I want to move my VPS servers. There was an incident of some sorts at my existing provider and the only thing I could do was re install OS. No backups of the actual VPS.

Web Telecoms does have backup / images available of VPS's so a noddy badge for them. If RSAWeb doesn't have backup options it will be pretty pointless to test them I guess.

Who are yo using? I definitely won't recommend using an SA company. Rather look at Hostgator and BlueHost.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Hi bvonfintel

Or you can just manage your own backups... http://www.bacula4hosts.com/ (can do bare metal restores) Its not rocket science.

AFAIK no VPS provider in SA has the option to do image backups of your vps. They kinda expect you to be able to handle that yourself. Rackspace (if you pay) does have such a service, but its going to be expensive.

Oceanhost

Oceanhost representative
Company Rep
AFAIK no VPS provider in SA has the option to do image backups of your vps. They kinda expect you to be able to handle that yourself. Rackspace (if you pay) does have such a service, but its going to be expensive.

Hello Ghoti. We actually do image backups of VPS's by default for what it's worth.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Or you can just manage your own backups... http://www.bacula4hosts.com/ (can do bare metal restores) Its not rocket science.

Hostagtor has weekly backups included in it's VPS pricing.

flbjhb

ghoti

Web telecoms (SA provider) provides image backups ... that was one of my tests last night requesting an IMAGE restore.

(btw I did try RSAWeb trial signup but when you click on the activation link it pops up a error message and the vps is never created ...bummer).

cristobalg

Hi, I am using Limy VPS. They offer 7 days trial accounts, it works on Windows and Linux.

Rackspace

Rackspace representative
Company Rep
I would also consider services hosted in the UK, these have a latency of 170ms to ZA and with most sites correct CDN usuage should help you from serving large static content locally.

icyrus

Executive Member
If local isn't 100% critical, just use AWS. Their Dublin AZ offers decent latency.