Lockdown booze recipes

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Depends. More sugar = higher ABV, but also lowers drinkability. The ABV you get from sugar is almost pure alcohol. The ABV you get from fruit juice comes paired with flavours, colours, pectins, proteins, etc. etc. that "supplement" the alcohol. Think of it like drinking pure ethanol (like in hand sanitizer), lots of burn and alcohol but no flavour, compared to something like Amarula, with alcohol, but a ton of mouthfeel, body and flavour, where the alcohol almost "hides" behind the other stuff.

Remember the idea is not to make alcohol. The idea is to make an enjoyable drink. If you want to make just alcohol, dissolve normal table sugar in water, drop in a packet of yeast and let it sit in a warm place for 2 weeks. You'll have alcohol, trust me, but I would be really surprised if you would be able to stomach it.

HunterGR

Expert Member
Remember the idea is not to make alcohol. The idea is to make an enjoyable drink. If you want to make just alcohol, dissolve normal table sugar in water, drop in a packet of yeast and let it sit in a warm place for 2 weeks. You'll have alcohol, trust me, but I would be really surprised if you would be able to stomach it.

I wish this guy had read this......

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I noticed my cider stopped excessively bubbling after day and a half. You see and hear it bubbling but not as much as the start?
all my brews were the same, after a day or 2 it is just a trickle of a bubble
i have even seen some of my brews not bubble at all through the airlock
and that worried me

but the beers turned out just fine in the end
Airlock – BeerLab Home Brew Supplies

internaut

So should i add sugar?

If you added enough to start with then no unless you want ramp up the alcohol content which will influence the taste. Also too much alcohol in the batch has a negative on the yeast activity.

internaut

all my brews were the same, after a day or 2 it is just a trickle of a bubble
i have even seen some of my brews not bubble at all through the airlock
and that worried me

but the beers turned out just fine in the end
Airlock – BeerLab Home Brew Supplies

definitely no activity in that airlock :)

Defiler

Awesome! Was waiting for this. I've got a few tips to seperate the boys from the men! Sure, some of these things might not be available at the moment, but the info can still apply...

Use a good quality yeast! I like to use Safcider (alcohol tolerant up to about 8%) or wine yeast (up to about 15+%) but you will end up with a much dryer crisper wine/cider, kind of like mixing Savanna dry with a Chardonnay.

Core and juice your fruit! Strain the pulp through cheesecloth to get every last drop. Use pulp for bran muffin/cake mix, fertilizer for the garden, etc, etc.

Try and avoid tap water, in fact, use as little water as possible. I only use just enough boiling water to dissolve my sugars and let cool.

I don't put any hot water near the fruit as I find this kills many of the subtle fruit flavours, instead I sterilize the whole batch with a Campden tablet and let sit for 24 hours before I add the sugar and yeast. This gives your yeast a clean slate in order to get going. You don't have to use a Campden tablet, but this just assures you that you don't end up with a huge batch of apple cider vinegar.

I find the best temps to ferment cider is about 17-22 degrees, sure, your batch will ferment a little slower, but you will not lose your flavours in the fast escaping carbon dioxide.

After all of your solids are completely dissolved take an SG reading, out the top of my head, you want your original SG to be about 1.050+, and your final SG to be about 0.97, to give you an ABV of ~10.5%. I recommend taste testing every couple of days until the brew hits your sweet spot, so you can either add more sugar syrup (hot water added to sugar and cooled) or let ferment a bit longer. I find that after a week of fermentation I end up with quite a dry flat batch, so I tend to bottle after about 5 days when fermentation has slowed down, but not completely stopped. I use those Grolsch bottles with the swing caps.

If I want more of a wine, I will ferment for a week, then rack to a glass carboy and let that sit for a month, then finally rack to those glass 2L sherry bottles which I store in the fridge. After a month or two, your wine should be perfectly clear and taste pretty epic, albeit rather dry.

Just my 5c. Can't think of anything else to add...

Defiler

This will hopefully be my next project, I don't have a copper still, but have been thinking about making one out of one of my old pressure cookers.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Heh. Permits are interesting on stills. They cost something like R1 per year (literally), depending on province. I think Gauteng is R2 per year, or something silly like that. I also want to build one. Just want to find some 28mm copper pipe (and fittings) from somewhere.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Depends. More sugar = higher ABV, but also lowers drinkability. The ABV you get from sugar is almost pure alcohol. The ABV you get from fruit juice comes paired with flavours, colours, pectins, proteins, etc. etc. that "supplement" the alcohol. Think of it like drinking pure ethanol (like in hand sanitizer), lots of burn and alcohol but no flavour, compared to something like Amarula, with alcohol, but a ton of mouthfeel, body and flavour, where the alcohol almost "hides" behind the other stuff.

Mix with sodas like Sprite, Lemon Twist etc... like you would with Cane spirits? :p

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Mix with sodas like Sprite, Lemon Twist etc... like you would with Cane spirits? :p
Hell no. Have you ever tasted a plain sugar wash? It's disgusting. There's a reason it's distilled and then flavoured after distillation. Think of it like watered down vodka, tasting like sour bread and that taste you have in your throat after you've vomited.