Lockdown booze recipes

Tman*

Expert Member
I do...and ordered my GrainFather and Sparge water container...this hobby is addictave....AND you can drink it
I've had the pleasure of brewing on a grain father. It's an excellent system. Congratulations

Reactions: GAD

Tman*

Expert Member
Yes true...mine is on a back order for early January... From my local brew shop...can't wait.

The Keezer is also on my bucket list but I need to kill one monster at a time.

I did sort out a fementation fridge with a MJ STC temp controller.

Regulating ferm temps at 20°c on top and noticed the freezer at the bottom doing between 2°c and 5°c so bottle conditioning my beers and cold crashing in the freezer. Maybe a good place for the hops too.

Where did you purchase the hops from.

I will also need a mill and that might be my next monster to kill
I can highly recommend http://www.ginormity.com/menace/

Tman*

Expert Member
6 month update:

1. Acquired 2 x 50L jojo containers, I've proceeded to buy bulk unmilled grains. not only cheaper, but I can brew when I want
2. Bought a http://www.ginormity.com/menace/ mill - so I can mill when I want.
3. Although I cant claim it as my own, one of my brew buddies successfully kegged for the first time, learned a lot about the equipment needed, cost, etc etc

Goals for 2021:

1. Build still plate to start harvesting yeast more controlled and successfully
2. Buy Hops in bulk to bring down brew cost even further
3. Start kegging - life is too short to bottle

GAD

6 month update:

1. Acquired 2 x 50L jojo containers, I've proceeded to buy bulk unmilled grains. not only cheaper, but I can brew when I want
2. Bought a http://www.ginormity.com/menace/ mill - so I can mill when I want.
3. Although I cant claim it as my own, one of my brew buddies successfully kegged for the first time, learned a lot about the equipment needed, cost, etc etc

Goals for 2021:

1. Build still plate to start harvesting yeast more controlled and successfully
2. Buy Hops in bulk to bring down brew cost even further
3. Start kegging - life is too short to bottle
Cool stuff....you turning it up a notch like myself.

Where do you buy your grain from.
Great idea with the 50 Lt Jojo drums for storing grain... gonna do the same.

What grains you gonna store.... probably base malts?

I'm also gonna start with kegging asap. Got a deepfreeze that I want to convert to a keezer for free....just gave it a good clean and it looks as good as new again.

And discovered an old 5kg fire extinguisher in my garage so getting there slowly but surely. Still need to safe some more moola to get the rest like kegs and so forth.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Make sure the fire extinguisher is:

1. CO2.
2. Still safe. Get it checked by a firefighting equipment checker, like Chubb.

Tman*

Expert Member
Cool stuff....you turning it up a notch like myself.

Where do you buy your grain from.
Great idea with the 50 Lt Jojo drums for storing grain... gonna do the same.

What grains you gonna store.... probably base malts?

I'm also gonna start with kegging asap. Got a deepfreeze that I want to convert to a keezer for free....just gave it a good clean and it looks as good as new again.

And discovered an old 5kg fire extinguisher in my garage so getting there slowly but surely. Still need to safe some more moola to get the rest like kegs and so forth.
Honestly just buy the grains from who ever has stock at the moment. I store pale malt in the one tank and then loads of other smaller bags in the other tank.

Fire extinguisher is the way to go, just replace the tap and you good to go! You acan actually do the keg on the cheap, specially if you already have the deepfreeze, just get the other bits and bobs and start with a cheapy party tap.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yes, final gravity needs to be constant, otherwise you're drinking active yeast like @The_Donkey and I did with @UrBaN963 secret pineapple last year and although we got drunk the yeast made our tummys runny
Last year when I tried your recipe - and subsequently started making Crapple Syder because it was so bad - I didn't have a refractometer so I had to go on guess work.

Up to 3.9% today. Tomorrow will be day 7 so I might start on another batch.

B-1

Expert Member
Day 5 and we're at 3.5%

I presume I keep it going until the SG is constant?

If you do its gonna be as dry as a ...

With ciders you either stop fermentation when you like the taste (chemical or pasteurised) or you back sweeten it with unfermentable sugar like lactose or xylitol.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If you do its gonna be as dry as a ...

With ciders you either stop fermentation when you like the taste (chemical or pasteurised) or you back sweeten it with unfermentable sugar like lactose or xylitol.
Thanks, I can live with that. I always have to add some sugar when I bottle anyway for carbonation.

B-1

Expert Member
I can live with that. I always have to add some sugar when I bottle anyway for carbonation.

That sugar will also ferment away to produce the co2. When I say dry I mean it will make you pucker so hard your eyeballs will suck back in their sockets.
Next time you check the ABV taste some and see what its like. Should already be starting to be a bit dry.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Last year when I tried your recipe - and subsequently started making Crapple Syder because it was so bad - I didn't have a refractometer so I had to go on guess work.

Up to 3.9% today. Tomorrow will be day 7 so I might start on another batch.
3.9% is bloody good.
I was hitting around 2.5% on the pineapple beer :thumbsup: