Lockdown booze recipes

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That sugar will also ferment away to produce the co2. When I say dry I mean it will make you pucker so hard your eyeballs will suck back in their sockets.
Next time you check the ABV taste some and see what its like. Should already be starting to be a bit dry.
I forgot to mention I also add a splash of grenadine when I drink it.

It helps with the dryness and looks nice :D

Presumably I can still buy grenadine during lockdown?

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I forgot to mention I also add a splash of grenadine when I drink it.

It helps with the dryness and looks nice :D

Presumably I can still buy grenadine during lockdown?
Mine was always sweet enough coz I used tons of pineapples.
But i messed up on my last batch i made, I only used 1 pineapple and loads of apples.
It was very bitter but got me drunk, I was adding Rose's Passionfruit Cordial to make it drinkable.
I also had a half bottle of vodka was also added half a tot as well per glass just to give extra kick

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Mine was always sweet enough coz I used tons of pineapples.
But i messed up on my last batch i made, I only used 1 pineapple and loads of apples.
It was very bitter but got me drunk, I was adding Rose's Passionfruit Cordial to make it drinkable.
I also had a half bottle of vodka was also added half a tot as well per glass just to give extra kick
As a rule, because I didn't have a means to test it, I ran my Crapple for two weeks - staggered by a week - so I always had 10l ready each week. It got pretty dry.

TonySS

I bought a copper still for spirits. Beers and such are made in the basement in various steel drums.

It's a problem getting good yeast now.

Pineapple Smurf

I bought a copper still for spirits. Beers and such are made in the basement in various steel drums.

It's a problem getting good yeast now.
I stocked up 6 months ago on brewing yeast as a backup, I have 15 sachets for 15 brews, luckily I dont need to use them as I now still have 11 Coopers tins to brew and they all come with their own packet of yeast.
Also have 30 Anchors Yeast as backup coz 10 months ago even they were very hard to find

Toxxyc

Executive Member
With ciders you either stop fermentation when you like the taste
No. Stopping and active fermentation is a bad idea. Whichever method you follow involves stressing the yeast (unless you can microfilter) which results in off flavours. Backsweetening is the best idea, after fermentation is complete. That's why planning a recipe is important.

B-1

Expert Member
No. Stopping and active fermentation is a bad idea. Whichever method you follow involves stressing the yeast (unless you can microfilter) which results in off flavours. Backsweetening is the best idea, after fermentation is complete. That's why planning a recipe is important.

Its been done that way for a long time for ciders and plenty people still pasteurise them. You just need to take some extra precautions like not using glass and storing them in a safe manner. But back sweetening is the easiest. I normally fill a keg from primary then artificially sweeten to taste and carbonate.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Its been done that way for a long time for ciders and plenty people still pasteurise them. You just need to take some extra precautions like not using glass and storing them in a safe manner. But back sweetening is the easiest. I normally fill a keg from primary then artificially sweeten to taste and carbonate.
For a long time people also believed beer was made by stirring the sweet wort with a "magic stick" :p

Trying to stop mid-fermentation is not smart. As mentioned, first thing is it stresses the yeast, which produces off flavours. Second, yeast drop out of suspension when fermentation completes, so if it's still active you still have quite a bit of yeast in suspension. With pasteurisation you're now cooking those cells to death, after which they'll drop out of suspension and start a process called autolysis. With a few cells in the bottle post fermentation that's still OK, but with a lot - not so much. I've tasted a bottle where there was a lot of yeast in it. You don't want to taste self-digested dead yeast cells. It's not nice.

Not saying people don't do it. They do. And it works. Just saying there are better ways :D Kegging is a REALLY easy way out as you can chill it down to deactivate the yeast for the most part, without killing it, cutting corners everywhere.

I need to start kegging.

Pineapple Smurf

Over My Head GIFs | Tenor

LetsDance

The serious alcoholics had time enough to stockpile surely or maybe not. They need at least two bottles wine per day or equivalent.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
I loved the pineapple beer I made 9 months ago but im also over it as well. All that sugar !!!!!
Question. I made a batch of that apple cider beer schit waaaaaaaaaaaay back. It's still standing in my study. Will it still be drinkable ?

Pineapple Smurf

Question. I made a batch of that apple cider beer schit waaaaaaaaaaaay back. It's still standing in my study. Will it still be drinkable ?
****ing hell
do i look like a ****ing doctor to you?
go ahead and drink it
worse thing that can technically happen is you either get a sore tummy or the runs