Lockdown booze recipes

Toxxyc

Executive Member
@Papa Smurf it's easy. Just add enough sugar. If you're worried baking yeast won't go that far, buy proper yeast. It's cheap and re-useable.

EDIT: Remember, sugar + water + yeast = alcohol + water + CO2. More sugar = more alcohol and CO2.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
@Papa Smurf it's easy. Just add enough sugar. If you're worried baking yeast won't go that far, buy proper yeast. It's cheap and re-useable.

EDIT: Remember, sugar + water + yeast = alcohol + water + CO2. More sugar = more alcohol and CO2.
i still have about 10 packets of yeast in my spare fridge from June 2020

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Know I must search in the forum... but would you mind sharing your crapple recipe again....

If you like it I might aswell give it a go
Pretty simple. For 10l.

4l cranberry juice + 4l apple juice + 125g sugar per litre, and 1/2 pack (5g) yeast (I usually use Anchor). The I bring it up to 9l with some water.

I used to work on two weeks fermenting, then bottle but I've got a means of seeing when fermentation stops so I'll have a better idea after this time around.

I'll get the brand of juice I use later when I go to checkers.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Rhodes? Rhodes and Spar's homebrand is some of the best juice to use for fermentation.

Reactions: GAD

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Rhodes? Rhodes and Spar's homebrand is some of the best juice to use for fermentation.
I've used Rhodes but Pure Refresh was on sale at the time.

Obviously that changes all the time because the Rhodes 2L are on sale.

GAD

Pretty simple. For 10l.

4l cranberry juice + 4l apple juice + 125g sugar per litre, and 1/2 pack (5g) yeast (I usually use Anchor). The I bring it up to 9l with some water.

I used to work on two weeks fermenting, then bottle but I've got a means of seeing when fermentation stops so I'll have a better idea after this time around.

I'll get the brand of juice I use later when I go to checkers.
Joh... what's the ABV of such a batch...that sugar is gonna give it a lekka kick.

My first and only apple cider the ABV was 6.8% as the SG was 1050 with it fermenting out to 0998 with a lekka dryness to it.

So I think that added sugar will bump the ABV up very high if the yeast can tolerate the alcohol level.

But gonna give it a try anyways...thanx again.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Joh... what's the ABV of such a batch...that sugar is gonna give it a lekka kick.

My first and only apple cider the ABV was 6.8% as the SG was 1050 with it fermenting out to 0998 with a lekka dryness to it.

So I think that added sugar will bump the ABV up very high if the yeast can tolerate the alcohol level.

But gonna give it a try anyways...thanx again.
Apparently it's currently hovering around 7.5 at day 9.
Cool. Using this tool: https://www.petedrinks.com/abv-calculator-refractometer-hydrometer/

Your actual reading is around 1.013. That means you're in the 7.5% ABV territory already. How's it taste?

Reactions: GAD

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm going to try my hand at beer next week starting with a "session" IPA (whatever that is).

What kind of bottles should I be looking for? I know Lion empties are all the rage but obviously they're in short supply.

EDIT: I currently use 1l coke bottles but I don't even have enough of those lying around for the 10l of Crapple that's fermenting now.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
I'm going to try my hand at beer next week starting with a "session" IPA (whatever that is).

What kind of bottles should I be looking for? I know Lion empties are all the rage but obviously they're in short supply.

EDIT: I currently use 1l coke bottles but I don't even have enough of those lying around for the 10l of Crapple that's fermenting now.

ideally you want glass cap bottles that are amber (brown), i think if you have no other choice Stoney plastic bottles are probably the best alternative? remember to feel if they need a burp

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
ideally you want glass cap bottles that are amber (brown), i think if you have no other choice Stoney plastic bottles are probably the best alternative? remember to feel if they need a burp
I saw some the other day but they were only 500ml and R15 each.

GAD

I presume you gonna get that IPA from RHBC.

Lion and Castle bottels are the best...but you will need a capper and caps....even Reds 660ml bottels for your Crapple Cider will work just fine.

Contact Shaun at PE BrewShop for a capper and caps.

They still had stock the last time I was there.

Just dont use Tafel Lager or similar bottels...those with the thick neck...more than halve a case that I capped were flat...it does not seal and the crown caps struggles to crimp over the bottle.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Will these work? They’re 1l and seem fairly strong.

447c4b2f371d953a2cbf42ae8c558415.jpg

I presume you gonna get that IPA from RHBC.
Yeah. Seems the easiest way to make some beer with the least amount of effort! :)
Lion and Castle bottels are the best...but you will need a capper and caps....even Reds 660ml bottels for your Crapple Cider will work just fine.
Where am I going to find Lion and Castle bottles during Level 3?