Lockdown booze recipes

GAD

Will these work? They’re 1l and seem fairly strong.

447c4b2f371d953a2cbf42ae8c558415.jpg

Yeah. Seems the easiest way to make some beer with the least amount of effort! :)

Where am I going to find Lion and Castle bottles during Level 3?
Would rather use 2lt soda bottels...but I sent you a PM.

So taken what I've learnt in the last 9 months with the "skills" I've acquired and I'm taking another shot at the pineapple beer:

High Temperature Distillers yeast, Rehydrated in 1l water for 30min, then 1h after adding 2tsp Fermaid K.
8L Water
¼ tsp metabisuplhate to remove chloramine, 1tsp Ascorbic Acid for shelf stability
Boil to remove chlorine
9l Liquifruit clear apple, 3l Liquifruit summer pine
3 pineapples, cubed 1cm, skin on
2 cups sugar
1 lemon peel
Boil 1hr (probably unnecessary but want to see if I get any interesting Mallard flavours)
10min: Irish moss
Chill and added to fermenter through a strainer to remove all solids
OG: 42
Pitched at 27C, ferm at room temp

Will see what happens during the ferment, shouldn't take long with this yeast at this temp.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Why go with the distillers yeast though? Wouldn't a cider or even a dedicated wine yeast like 71B give you significantly better results?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So taken what I've learnt in the last 9 months with the "skills" I've acquired and I'm taking another shot at the pineapple beer:

Will see what happens during the ferment, shouldn't take long with this yeast at this temp.
Are you sure the liquifruit is preservative free?

FrankyF

Expert Member
Will these work? They’re 1l and seem fairly strong.

447c4b2f371d953a2cbf42ae8c558415.jpg

Yeah. Seems the easiest way to make some beer with the least amount of effort! :)

Where am I going to find Lion and Castle bottles during Level 3?

2l PET Coke bottles in a black Big Jim storage box works just as well.

Put something heavy on top once the bottles are inside and tada! A nifty bottle bomb splash guard.

No more mess to clean up if one of them pops, just hose out the box

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
2l PET Coke bottles in a black Big Jim storage box works just as well.

Put something heavy on top once the bottles are inside and tada! A nifty bottle bomb splash guard.

No more mess to clean up if one of them pops, just hose out the box
lol - I use a cooler box with a lockable lid. It became mandatory after a bottle jetted the wall. :)

gottagoon

Executive Member
Pretty simple. For 10l.

4l cranberry juice + 4l apple juice + 125g sugar per litre, and 1/2 pack (5g) yeast (I usually use Anchor). The I bring it up to 9l with some water.

I used to work on two weeks fermenting, then bottle but I've got a means of seeing when fermentation stops so I'll have a better idea after this time around.

I'll get the brand of juice I use later when I go to checkers.
OK. I'm going to try some fermenting. The recipe above. Will this yeast work? IMG_20210121_151132.jpg IMG_20210121_151144.jpg

Toxxyc

Executive Member
No that one says "no tartrazine preservatives added". I am almost willing to put money on it it'll have either citric acid added, at the very least, and I'm even willing to bet there would be some sort of sorbate and/or benzoate in there. All those inhibit yeast growth and health.