Lockdown booze recipes

FiZeR

No that one says "no tartrazine preservatives added". I am almost willing to put money on it it'll have either citric acid added, at the very least, and I'm even willing to bet there would be some sort of sorbate and/or benzoate in there. All those inhibit yeast growth and health.
Thanks, I will have a look at the back of the bottle and if I ever pass one of their shops. Is citric acid itself a problem for the yeast or just the increased acidity?

gottagoon

Executive Member
Decided to start at 2PM with my fermentation. Came to check 1.5 hours later......and it's bubbling already :oops:. I was only expecting bubbles tomorrow sometime. Is that OK? IMG_20210123_154250.jpg

gottagoon

Executive Member
Whats the temp and how much yeast did you add? Looks like its already got a krausen so it should be bubbling.
Yeast about 3.5 grams. Temp probably 25 degrees or thereabouts (no thermometer).

gottagoon

Executive Member
What flavour is it?

Maybe next time shake it a bit to dissolve the sugar before you add the yeast? Or make a simple sugar syrup instead.
It's Apple and Cranberry. 2liters of each.
And yeah, I slipped up with the sugar. It all settled at the bottom and I don't wanna shake anything now. It's merrily bubbling away. Hopefully it will turn out ok?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It's Apple and Cranberry. 2liters of each.
And yeah, I slipped up with the sugar. It all settled at the bottom and I don't wanna shake anything now. It's merrily bubbling away. Hopefully it will turn out ok?
It's going to end up a very different colour :)

So taken what I've learnt in the last 9 months with the "skills" I've acquired and I'm taking another shot at the pineapple beer:

Will see what happens during the ferment, shouldn't take long with this yeast at this temp.

Finished at 1.00, unfortunately threw a crap load of sulphur that took a few days to gas off.

Also only got 15l out, the pineapple sucked up a lot of water and I think it boiled a bit hard.

Back sweetened with 350g xylitol and primed with 150g sugar. Should be ready by the weekend!

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Finished at 1.00, unfortunately threw a crap load of sulphur that took a few days to gas off.

Also only got 15l out, the pineapple sucked up a lot of water and I think it boiled a bit hard.

Back sweetened with 350g xylitol and primed with 150g sugar. Should be ready by the weekend!

Damn that's a lot is sweetener o_O

Kola_CT

Expert Member
Bottled a few bottles white rum, a few bottles spiced rum, three gin flavors (6 bottles total), caramel liqueur, apple pie liqueur today.

Also started more gin infusion which needs to be distilled again tomorrow (that will be third distillation) - will be about 4 bottles of 43% gin when done.

Quad Pipe

I posted this in the homebrew beer thread but thought I'd put it here as well (which is where I actually wanted to put it in the first place):

So I finally got around to getting my Coopers Belgium Wheat Ale on. I added 1kg dextrose to the 1kg DME and 250g of multidextrose to the mix. The dextrose is to up the ABV content which I read somewhere on a forum devoted to the Coopers product. I hope it works.

I managed to get the temp down to 29 deg before putting in the yeast. On Sunday morning the lid of the fermenter had popped off on one side and a bit of wort had bubbled out. The airlock had also been breached. Anyway, I fixed everything up and it's bubbling away like crazy.

edit - as of today the fermentation has slowed down quite a bit. Might even be ready for bottling this weekend.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I posted this in the homebrew beer thread but thought I'd put it here as well (which is where I actually wanted to put it in the first place):

So I finally got around to getting my Coopers Belgium Wheat Ale on. I added 1kg dextrose to the 1kg DME and 250g of multidextrose to the mix. The dextrose is to up the ABV content which I read somewhere on a forum devoted to the Coopers product. I hope it works.

I managed to get the temp down to 29 deg before putting in the yeast. On Sunday morning the lid of the fermenter had popped off on one side and a bit of wort had bubbled out. The airlock had also been breached. Anyway, I fixed everything up and it's bubbling away like crazy.

edit - as of today the fermentation has slowed down quite a bit. Might even be ready for bottling this weekend.
too much trouble
i just bang a kilo supermarket white cheap sugar into my mixture, close the lid and walk away

Steamy Tom

Executive Member

my last batch of cider also fermented mad fast, pitched it on a sunday, by the thursday all activity seemed to stop. on the sat checked SG and it indeed was done so bottled it - must be the current heat