Lockdown exercise rules - Legal expert comments on what you can do and if you must wear a mask

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Another thread about the same topic? Oh well, what does it matter?

The only comments I have are:

(1) Can I walk my lawnmower? It is on a leash as it is electric.
(2) It does not matter what the Courts or a Judge think, the only thing that matters is the interpretation of the Goon on patrol.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Must people wear masks when they exercise?
Yes. Regulation 5(1) provides that a person must wear a cloth face mask or other similar when in a public place.
Says nothing with legal merit IMO, there's no danger of spreading this virus if social distancing is kept.

I will not be made to have to breathe heavily with a mask on, and also be forced to as a result get too much of my own carbon dioxide returned.
When I get close to anyone, especially if joining a queue to shop, I will wear a mask.

@Jamie McKane , any chance the lawyer may be prepared to comment about such public feedback? TIA

EDIT: They don't seem too interested, seen many exercising without a mask and have not heard of any fines or arrests - can anyone confirm/correct?

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Megan Harrington-Johnson - name sounds like royalty. Respect.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

Says nothing with legal merit IMO, there's no danger of spreading this virus if social distancing is kept.

I will not be made to have to breathe heavily with a mask on, and also be forced to as a result get too much of my own carbon dioxide returned.
When I get close to anyone, especially if joining a queue to shop, I will wear a mask.

@Jamie McKane , any chance the lawyer may be prepared to comment about such public feedback? TIA

EDIT: They don't seem too interested, seen many exercising without a mask and have not heard of any fines or arrests - can anyone confirm/correct?
Even the SAPS say you 'must' wear a mask, but you cannot be arrested for not doing so:
According to the regulations, a person must wear a face mask or an item that covers their nose and mouth when they are in a public, and no one is allowed to enter a public place if they are not wearing a mask.

Speaking to News24, national police spokesperson Brigadier Vishnu Naidoo, however, said that not wearing a mask is "currently not an offence therefore police cannot arrest for such a failure".
It just means that shops are legally entitled to refuse you entrance, but in your own time you can do whatever you want...

Brian_G

Expert Member
Even the SAPS say you 'must' wear a mask, but you cannot be arrested for not doing so:

It just means that shops are legally entitled to refuse you entrance, but in your own time you can do whatever you want...
Thanks Gordon. I did hear that earlier from a friend, and then saw in the article related to this thread about regulation 5(1), and its interpretation (by both lawyers).

I'll now go with the police spokesperson, ta.

@mods , but further legal feedback would be really helpful.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Does my dog have to wear a mask?
If the dog licks your face, then yes...

P.S. I walked my cousin's dog this morning, and she gave me a cloth mask. Its like wearing a pair of underpants on your face...

maeztro

I have seen this thing going around on social media. This is a non-existent risk, for all practical intents and purposes. You are not wearing a sealed mask, so their is constant new fresh air coming in, containing more than enough oxygen.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Lol.
But it worked in at least summoning you.
Gordon_R's reply to my post alerted me to the thread. Occasionally we'll stumble on a @mods but I'm sure we miss more than we see.

FWIW @mods is a banned member.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Two things - 1) @mods does nothing whatsoever, and b) we don't supply legal feedback. We can't even right good.
1. EDIT: Ok (just copying someone else's use of it), thanks.
2. Was just hoping for further from the same lawyers. Guess we'll have to make up our own minds.

R13...

Honorary Master
1. Got your attention ;- ) .... but ok (just copying someone else's use of it), thanks.
2. Was just hoping for further from the same lawyers. Guess we'll have to make up our own minds.
You should have just PM'ed the article author or poster. It wouldn't get you any more legal advice but you'd at least be barking up the write tree.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
1. Got your attention ;- ) .... but ok (just copying someone else's use of it), thanks.
Not necessarily - you should direct your questions to the author, @Jamie McKane

Brian_G

Expert Member
I have seen this thing going around on social media. This is a non-existent risk, for all practical intents and purposes. You are not wearing a sealed mask, so their is constant new fresh air coming in, containing more than enough oxygen.
Couldn't agree less, and don't trust anything on social media (nothing personal, thanks for your feedback).
When I wear it and am out of breath, I'm certainly not getting enough fresh air. Period.

JayM

Expert Member
I'm not driving with a mask on, and I'm not running while wearing one either. I got stopped yesterday while driving without one, and the cop watched me put it on and didn't seem to have a problem with it.