Lockdown fallout: Mkhize defends strategy as scientists are reprimanded for speaking out

surface

Executive Member
WMC pays for it every month if you really have to know. They give you a passwd to access a site, you suck on a usb connector and it downloads straight to the cerebrum.
Occam's razor chana - did you not read your cousin's idea?. Simple explanation is that since your genes invented the internet (and pretty much everything), you can pretty much do anything.

Last edited:

Sollie

Executive Member
Occam's razor chana - did you not read your cousin's idea?. Simple explanation is that since your genes invented the internet (and pretty much everything), you can pretty much do anything.
Oi, we don't have cousins ... :p

Cray

Honorary Master
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2020-05-22-health-department-boss-calls-for-investigation-into-glenda-gray/

Health department boss calls for investigation into Glenda Gray

Dr. Anban Pillay, the acting director-general of the Health Department, has requested an investigation into the conduct of Dr. Glenda Gray, the president of the Medical Research Council (MRC), claiming that she has “made a number of false allegations against government”.

These concerns were described in a letter dated 21 May written by Pillay, addressed to Professor Johnny Mahlangu, chairperson of the MRC.
:eek: Investigation and then what exactly?

Sollie

Executive Member
“I therefore recommend that the Board investigates the conduct [of Gray] on this matter given the harm it has caused to South Africa’s Covid-19 response,” wrote Pillay.
No harm. Much of what she expressed was also what had been said before.

In fact even Trevor Manuel voiced his opinion, are they also starting a witch hunt an investigation against him?

I forgot, South Africa. We shoot the messenger ...

Cray

Honorary Master
More support for the Prof :thumbsup:

https://city-press.news24.com/Voices/opinion-glenda-gray-should-be-defended-and-her-accusers-should-be-in-the-dock-20200523

OPINION | Glenda Gray should be defended and her accusers should be in the dock

For the record, I completely agree with Professor Glenda Gray and her colleagues’ frank appraisal of the damage caused by the continuation of the lockdown. This is a view shared widely in society for good reason.

Every objection to Gray’s comments – and there are many, the most strident coming from senior politicians and officials – has been to her speaking outside of the ministerial advisory committee, but there’s not a single cogent objection to the content of her utterances to be found

When the former acting director-general’s parting shot is a foul and silly rant against her and others, we begin to understand why, on his and his fellow travellers’ watch for over 15 years, our once formidable public health service is in a state of decrepitude.

They should be in the dock, not her.

Dasoo is a medical practitioner and ANC veteran. This is a letter he wrote to fellow ANC veterans
Well said sir, nice to to some in the ANC still have a spine and do what's right...

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
This saga has made it abundantly clear that the lockdown regulations are not based on science, and that the government is making decisions based on other criteria (or thumb-sucking). This article provides a good look at the whole story:

Freddl

We have to sit down as a members of this forum and agree if qualifications matter or not, because there's nothing as confused as this forum when it comes to the matter of qualifications.
I am sure you are aware that politicians are the scum of the earth - all of them without exception. You therefore do not need any qualifications to become a politician. In fact the less qualified the better. It helps you ignore the consequences of your actions.

However, if you really want to be taken seriously outside of politics, you need a few qualifications - not always formal. Good experience also helps

Sollie

Executive Member
News24 editor Adriaan Basson on the significance of the story, and why careful steps were taken to ensure correctness before publication:
she said she was no longer allowed to speak to the media.
:unsure:

None of them unleashed the wrath of Mkhize in the way he responded to Gray. It's safer not to speculate about the reasons for this.
Hammer, nail, head! Message received - better than a whole article about it.

A very well balanced article with a big red flag as well.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
A sad day when scientists kowtow to politicians:
Under. The. Bus.

What a coward not to stand up for his organisation and associates.

I believe Wits once took a stand against the injustices meted out by the government of the day. Now it's home to political whipping boys who would rather polish NDZ's shoes than have a single, independent idea.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Under. The. Bus.

What a coward not to stand up for his organisation and associates.
News24 seems to hint that the President welcomes robust feedback, as noted in last night's speech, and should put a stop to the investigation.

The source is an opinion article.

rietrot

Honorary Master
A sad day when scientists kowtow to politicians:
It's always been the case. Scientists say whatever their funders want them to say. Sometimes that's the truth sometimes not.

If you are a scientist employed by government you have to say what your employer wants, if you are even allowed to speak. Mostly just authorised spokespeople are allowed to speak.

Very few people care about truth.

newby_investor

Expert Member
News24 seems to hint that the President welcomes robust feedback, as noted in last night's speech, and should put a stop to the investigation.

The source is an opinion article.
Yeah I read that - it was one of the editors I think, either Adriaan Basson or Pieter du Toit. I forget which.

Methinks they're too hopeful. I am very sorry for Prof Gray at this stage - whether she was wrong or right, she's being made the scapegoat which doesn't help AT ALL, and sends a message - academics, toe the party line or else. If we want your opinion, we'll give it to you.