Lockdown restrictions in South Africa can be extended by several weeks – Report

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member

wizardofid

Executive Member
Fearmongering sells news papers and gets clicks...
Look there were rumors that there will be a lockdown before it actually happened.An extension by another 3 weeks wouldn't be out of the question. It would entirely depend on the stats next week.if there is an explosion of cases this week then a longer lockdown extension isn't out of the question either.

Winter is coming, from what have been feeling and seeing weather wise, going to be a long one.I fully expect that we will get another couple of weeks if things go south this week.How is it fear mongering when they are simply reporting on findings of some thing that might happen, keeping us informed and prepared.Seems every thing is now fear mongering when people doesn't like what it says.

Can you say with confidence that they are wrong ?

Fargle

Maybe it wouldn't waaaay over your mom's head. Go tell her, ucnt.
Wow, you're an intellectual powerhouse;
Must be a government employee. Sorry I had to strike a nerve there my little chum.
I think most normal, productive people would like to get back to real life.
You on the other hand...

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
I can see why this is proposed.

21 days was a trial, to see how country can prepare for longer period of lock down. The key here is to appreciate that infection rates (as reported) are directly proportional to numbers tested, so the more testing (diagnosis) and isolating the positives that is done the better, while rest of uninfected practice social distancing, washing hands and remaining infection free. That for me is reason for lock down beyond 21 days...peak will be in May-June 2020; so lock down to have impact on peack (flatten the curve), it should go beyond June.

Bummer but true.

Video is helpful:

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I'm now seriously considering going out and buying a printer so I can print out worksheets for my kids.

I can VPN into the office until whenever, but I'm getting a bit uneasy with them not doing any schoolwork and their school just sending out links to online lessons. No practice.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
It would entirely depend on the stats next week
this is my biggest fear, our stats are not reliable at all (in my opinion), we've tested less than 1000 people per million population, most countries with proper breakouts have tested proportionately at least 3 times that amount

can we do 100,000 new tests in the coming two weeks to at least get in the ballpark of where testing ought to be before some guavamint official claims victory over the virus due to insufficient testing and we all head out to start a proper outbreak?

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Nothing but the final nail in the coffin of this kuntry's economy
if that is all it achieved then the virus has done us a massive favour ... maybe not for us specifically, but for future generations this economy must be freed from the shackles of ANC dumbfuckery, and it has to hit rock bottom before that has even a remote chance of happening