Lockdown speeds - One mobile network is getting hammered more than others

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Lockdown speeds - One mobile network is getting hammered more than others

The national lockdown which started on 27 March has had a negative impact on the average mobile network performance in South Africa.

Most South Africans are now housebound, which means they are consuming more mobile data to work from home, surf the web, and stream videos and music.

This increased demand for data has resulted in the national average download speed declining from 25.3Mbps between 1-14 March to 21.8Mbps during the lockdown (27 March-27 April).

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Rain does have to share some spectrum with Vodacom also. Vodacom gets preference on the shared tower.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
You can sell a product with fibre attributes on wireless and here is the proof.

cavedog

Honorary Master
You can sell a product with fibre attributes on wireless and here is the proof.

You can but you need enough spectrum and enough towers. For LTE purposes guess who has the least amount of spectrum from the list in the article. Yes Rain and Cellc has the least amount of spectrum on LTE. The speeds reflect that. Rain has 3600MHz spectrum which they roll out 5G on. So very limited options really.

DXL

Expert Member
This Lockdown period is good to assess where more Towers and Capacity is needed.

Networks should be using their Privilege of Essential Service status to Continue to Rollout on shared Towers more sites to improve user experience.

This is the perfect time to gauge the capacity requirements for each area and they must improve the Backhaul as well with Fibre.

Every Problem has an opportunity or a solution only the blind see a problem.

Telecoms is an essential service so are their suppliers and must be registered accordingly.

Hope they improve capacity in the Densely populated areas like townships and communities.

Solitude

Executive Member
I'm not surprised that it's rain. Struggled to get the article to load.

PHeX

Will I be wrong to say it's is a WIN WIN for Rain. During this lockdown period the amount of Vodacom data being offloaded to Rain means more money in the pockets of Rain's investors?

Joseph matane

Will I be wrong to say it's is a WIN WIN for Rain. During this lockdown period the amount of Vodacom data being offloaded to Rain means more money in the pockets of Rain's investors?
How is your rain mobile network performance?

Yskasmetnstoof

Rain is krap. Fixed LTE 5G ( hillarious, that 5G, wish I could suebthen) . But even worse is their service. It cannot be rated because you cannot contact them. Today they are just dead. Just a fark you give us your money and tough dheet about the internet dead.

Johand

Expert Member
Rain’s network is severely affected by the lockdown. Its average download speed declined 53% from 14.9Mbps to 6.9Mbps.

A taste of what would have come anyway. Wireless is not fibre. They are undermining fibre deployment in metro areas by selling wireless as if it is as good as fibre. But wireless simply cannot do that. So poor network speeds and/or shaping will be the order of the day.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
You can but you need enough spectrum and enough towers. For LTE purposes guess who has the least amount of spectrum from the list in the article. Yes Rain and Cellc has the least amount of spectrum on LTE. The speeds reflect that. Rain has 3600MHz spectrum which they roll out 5G on. So very limited options really.
I was meant to say cannot. I use the Orange man's excuse and say it was sarcasm?

jax_maxit

I'm on cell C: have a data only contract. We can't roam. Just thought I'd mention that.
As in, I can't connect to the MTN network and use my data that way. My SIM works anywhere with Cell C towers/coverage.