Lockdown-where to report companies that force workers to report for duty

cnnhardtalk

Hi guys. As the topic suggests.
So does a packaging company with a warehouse with packed workers that makes tin cans that food goes into, is that regarded as an essential service? The admin staff aswell. Basically everyone has been told they cannot stay at home for this 21 days and must report to work.

saor

Honorary Master
This is ridiculous.
How about we wait for the official comprehensive list to be published before playing guessing games?
Afaik that hasn't come out yet.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
How about we wait for the official comprehensive list to be published before playing guessing games.
Afaik that hasn't come out yet?
Food supply chain already identified right on the beginning.

saor

Honorary Master
Food supply chain already identified right on the beginning.
I know someone who makes food and pharmaceutical packaging.
It's not 100% clear that they're exempt, even though it seems likely that they could be.

There still hasn't been 100% clarification from the govt.

WesleyDB

I think unfortunately it will be as this is essential to the food manufacturing industry.

WesleyDB

I think op should count his lucky stars.
Companies that shut down may not ever reopen their doors. I'm super grateful I'm in a critical industry.
Lot's of people are treating this as a holiday, they don't realise the effects it's going to have on the economy long term

Reactions: rh1

gamer16

Honorary Master
I'd much rather go to work because no work no pay which means I'm pretty much fscked

HunterNW

Honorary Master
So does a packaging company with a warehouse with packed workers that makes tin cans that food goes into, is that regarded as an essential service? The admin staff aswell. Basically everyone has been told they cannot stay at home for this 21 days and must report to work.
Ja nee, go home. They can stuff the tuna, baked beans, chakalaka etc in empty toilet rolls and send it to the shops.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Feel more for the small businesses and take aways and resturants

they have families to feed

quovadis

Expert Member
If the products the company produces or provides are essential and the company chooses to continue to operate during the lockdown you are thus not subject to the lockdown and therefore not reporting to work without leave would be seen as desertion. The ramifications in terms of employees who cannot reach their place of employ due to lack of transport (ie. if they rely on public transport etc) needs to be addressed by the business itself.

ElixirCoder

FYI, This company only makes the packaging, cans, boxes etc.
FYI, I find it essential to have my baked beans in a can during the acquisition phase. Although possible, ladling it directly into my cupped hands at the factory might not be the most efficient means of transfer. Will definitely make controlling my steering wheel a bit trickier.

TL;DR: Get your ass to work m#f#. This ain't a holiday.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
this business sounds essential
i like my baked beans in a tin with a label that says Baked Beans
baked beans in a big black bin just doesnt sound right to me

Image result for beans in a big bin