Logic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Give a question, I'll try and answer then I will follow up.
Ag you know, I'm not interested in catching you out. Your religion and your beliefs are your own. Good luck to you.

So I'll keep it on topic and go back to your post about natural selection where you hinted towards a force, and ask you, what is natural selection?

Ponderer

Expert Member
Cool. In my limited understanding, natural selection is a process which occurs naturally through the trials of life for all creatures (organisms). It is an evolutionary process which passes favourable traits genetically to offspring and over time allows a species a better chance at survival in its environment.

For example and at the most basic level, red tinted frogs would be more visible in a pond and more likely to be spotted and eaten by a predator, whereas green frogs of the same species would blend into the surroundings and hence would be less likely be eaten by a predator. So more green frogs would be around to mate with each other producing more green frogs and less red frogs over time until red frogs disappeared altogether. Green frogs would then be suited to their environment and more likely to survive as a species.

You can pick holes or follow up if you wish.

Your turn.
Forgive the interruption.
Slight change in topic.
Do you consider Atheism as a religion?
If you are an atheist, are you religious?
How can an Atheist mock another belief if they are themselves no different?
Why do Atheist think they are more intelligent than others?
If Atheists are so clever, why do they act so stupid?
If Atheists are more intelligent than others, why do they hide it so well?

Ponderer

Expert Member
Nah. That’s old school. Now when Christians are confronted with squirmy questions they can’t just throw the old standard retorts such as “god works in mysterious ways” or “ you need to have faith” etc, they have come up with other ways to deflect.

This last couple of pages of is a perfect Christian tactic. Throw in a couple of smileys and the odd ROFL while accusing the other person of knowing nothing. Techne is a good example of this. He can’t explain his fuzzy thoughts so he just deflects by attacking others and pretending to laugh at them. All the while safe in his own utopia of godly love without having to think it.
How is the highlighted parts different from "evolution works in mysterious ways" and "you need to have faith in evolution"?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Forgive the interruption.
Slight change in topic.
No
No
I have a low tolerance for religion. It really pisses me off that I have to listen to a loud speaker blasting out a call to prayer 5 times a day.
I don't think that. It probably comes across as that becasue when you are free of religion, you can see how ridiculous it all is.
All of them?
Nah, you've kind of gone a bit off the rails here mate.

Ponderer

Expert Member
No
No
I have a low tolerance for religion. It really pisses me off that I have to listen to a loud speaker blasting out a call to prayer 5 times a day.
I don't think that. It probably comes across as that becasue when you are free of religion, you can see how ridiculous it all is.
All of them?
Nah, you've kind of gone a bit off the rails here mate.
Note that Atheism is not a non-belief, its a belief.
How can you possibly view Atheism as not being a religion if it is by its very definition purely a belief?
If you adhere/ascribe to a belief, are you not by definition practicing religion?
How can you have a low tolerance for religion if you are yourself a practitioner thereof?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
How can you possibly view Atheism as not being a religion if it is by its very definition purely a belief?
If you adhere/ascribe to a belief, are you not by definition practicing religion?
How can you have a low tolerance for religion if you are yourself a practitioner thereof?
I believe in lots of things. For example I believe I will have a nice dinner tonight because it’s going to be a particular curry that I like. Is that now a religion I’ve started? I adhere to this belief quite strongly actually.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
I was so hopeful that this thread would be about logic, not belief or faith. Not it has devolved into the age old religious vs non-religious vomit.

To bring us back on track: Would it be illogical to state that majority of debates are a farce due to, IMHO, majority of people's inability to have their minds changed?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I believe in lots of things. For example I believe I will have a nice dinner tonight because it’s going to be a particular curry that I like. Is that now a religion I’ve started? I adhere to this belief quite strongly actually.
I believe you will burn dinner tonight...

I think my belief is stronger than yours.

Temujin

Executive Member
<monday morning brick wall talk waste of time>
Again with this horse ****... Its non-belief, the absence of belief. Its not 'believing'(religious belief) in no gods, its the lack of belief in gods. This isn't difficult, yet you still can't grasp it, no matter how many times its explained. You continue to assign religion to 'belief'. I'll try with crayons again(was going to just copy/paste, but seems my last 'crayon' post has vanished from a few weeks back, so either I didn't click 'post'(is possible), or someone got offended /shrug).. anyway, crayons 2.0(simplified version)
I believe you're a moron - 'believe' usage here is 'statement' believe, 'truth' believe, not 'religion' believe, believing you're a moron does not make it a religion... understand? There is no religious belief system attached to it
I don't believe in gods - again, 'statement' believe, not 'religion' believe, believing there are no gods does not make it a religion.... understand? There is no religious belief system attached to it
I believe in aliens - statement believe, truth believe, **** all to do with religion believe
I really can't make it simpler. You keep assigning religious belief systems to it as you're confusing the context of the words being used, ie 'believe' and 'belief' like 'I believe you' belief is not religious belief.
Again, I believe you still won't understand this. Statement 'belief', not a religious 'god created the world in 6 days and then murdered everything and sent his son to visited me on my toast' belief. Get it yet?
</monday morning brick wall talk waste of time>

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I was so hopeful that this thread would be about logic, not belief or faith. Not it has devolved into the age old religious vs non-religious vomit.

To bring us back on track: Would it be illogical to state that majority of debates are a farce due to, IMHO, majority of people's inability to have their minds changed?
Ponderer tried to use a debate about logic to introduce a concept of "false logic", with only one reason, and that was to punt Creationism, in the guise of Intelligent Design.

The debate broke down the moment it was time for him to acknowledge after many showed him that his views on logic were flawed.
From then on, the debate reverted to the TOE versus Creator debate.

C4Cat

Executive Member
Easy, go do a science course and actually understand the topic you think you are poking holes in... pretty much all the people on this planet who actually understand it would be pissing themselves laughing at the stupidity you put forth...
I find it depressing to be honest.

The only person who has been mocking other people's intelligence in this thread is Ponderer. You are the one who thinks he is more intelligent than everyone else while acting stupid. Go read your previous posts you hypocrite. I tried to engage with you on a serious level, only to be met with mocking and insults and a complete disinterest in learning anything, reading anything, researching anything. Once I realised you are simply trolling I gave up trying to discuss any issues with you.

I'm happy you believe the flying spaghetti monster is the supreme ruler and overlord of life on earth but that's about it.

DMNknight

Expert Member
Toxic and Techne, could you go have your dick slining contest in private messages please. Good lord, please don't subject there rest of us to it.

Techne

Honorary Master
Ag you know, I'm not interested in catching you out. Your religion and your beliefs are your own. Good luck to you.

So I'll keep it on topic and go back to your post about natural selection where you hinted towards a force, and ask you, what is natural selection?
Natural selection can be at least one of three things.
1) A cause or force (force being a subset of causes).
2) An outcome of causes.
3) A process.

I don't have an answer as to which one is correct. I am leaning towards 2). I understand your position to be 3) so let's analyze that possibility shall we?

Techne

Honorary Master
Toxic and Techne, could you go have your dick slining contest in private messages please. Good lord, please don't subject there rest of us to it.
Dear pastor, please change the channel if you don't like what you are seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.