London Put in Emergency Lockdown as U.K. Fights New Strain

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Still no clear advice anywhere on whether SA -> UK flights will be cancelled.
BBC etc. only mention "travel restrictions" ,
No updates to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus yet

All very confusing, but sounds like they are over-reacting:
Anyone who has travelled there in the past fortnight, and anyone they have been in contact with, are being told to quarantine immediately.

scud

Expert Member
Only outbound has been banned, but only because other countries didn't want us coming in. Inbound, on the other hand, is still going ahead merrily.
thing is, no specific mention of banned flight anywhere, they just say "travel restrictions"
I'm booked to fly on 31st December, so trying to figure it out.
Pretty sure they'll publish full details in the next 24 hours

Well my brother is leaving tomorrow from London Heathrow to SA - as far as I can see, BA are still running the flights. Think he might as well stay here in SA until April as he is furloughed and it doesn't like London will be returning to level 2 until March/April. Tests are much more expensive over there - think he paid £150. These companies are coining it!

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
So new vaccine needed ?

No, already discussed. Please don't make up stories when the answer has already been posted: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...s-u-k-fights-new-strain.1116428/post-26628076

See:
Will the vaccines work against the new variant?

Almost certainly yes, or at least for now.

All three leading vaccines develop an immune response against the existing spike, which is why the question comes up.

Vaccines train the immune system to attack several different parts of the virus, so even though part of the spike has mutated, the vaccines should still work.

etienne_marais

Honorary Master
No, already discussed. Please don't make up stories when the answer has already been posted: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...s-u-k-fights-new-strain.1116428/post-26628076

See:
Oh piss off, I just asked a question. Also can't read every article linked in a thread, especially without reference to what it contains.

neoprema

Executive Member
So new vaccine needed ?
From what i've read in my limited capacity, the vaccines will cover most mutations unless this thing becomes a new virus altogether. The only difference is maybe a person who would have 0 symptoms with the vaccine now gets a sore throat with a mutation.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Warning that the lockdown may need to be tightened further, due to the new variant:
The "50% increase in transmissibility" of the new variant means that "the previous levels of restrictions that worked before won't work now, and so tier four restrictions are likely to be necessary - or even higher than that", he added.