• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Long haul low cost flights to Europe coming to Cape Town with Eurowings (Nov 2017)

f2wohf

Honorary Master
It makes 8500 return with Eurowings.

I frequently manage to get a return around 9000 on Air France...

Not that low cost at all !

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

Ja, it is not as cheap as I hoped, but it is something. Just did a quick search on travelstart. At lease these prices are competitive with the ME carriers at similar pricing and is non stop. If you going to Germany only of course and not to London for example where you will have to connect still then anyway.

Screenshot from 2017-04-18 22-32-12.jpg

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Gut feeling told me that price feels slightly off the mark so I investigated...

Sure enough - the price is right:

GBP.jpg

Unfortunately the currency isn't:

EUR.jpg

Still...not bad. Also - pro tip...if you want to fly to Europe cheaply fly to Rome.

3lOH55A

Expert Member

7.5k at current exchange rate. Not to bad for a direct flight to Germany.

NVM, they charge for the luggage. It's not selected by default. So yea, another 66$ to take along a suitcase @23kg

Food is also not included on the base fare. With food you're looking at 9k

Last edited:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Food is also not included on the base fare. With food you're looking at 9k
Just grab a sandwich or something before boarding the plane.

The low budget airlines don't seem to mind if you bring your own food & water.

Lack of luggage - well depends how long you're there for. Especially in cooler climate you can get away with less changes of clothes so hand luggage only might be viable. Jeans plus decent jacket can last a few days so you just need shirts & underwear really. And if you fk it up you just do like I did on last trip...walk into a shop and buy clothes there.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Just grab a sandwich or something before boarding the plane.

The low budget airlines don't seem to mind if you bring your own food & water.

Lack of luggage - well depends how long you're there for. Especially in cooler climate you can get away with less changes of clothes so hand luggage only might be viable. Jeans plus decent jacket can last a few days so you just need shirts & underwear really. And if you fk it up you just do like I did on last trip...walk into a shop and buy clothes there.
Ja, I would rather take my own food anyway if I were to fly long haul again. I really did not like the food I got on SAA. I am not sure if it was the food or just the long high altitude flight, but my god, I was feeling very bloated and gassy after each trip. I think I could easily get away with just a small cabin suitcase. Specially if you visit friends or family at the destination. Just do washing now and then there.

garp

Executive Member
Ja, I would rather take my own food anyway if I were to fly long haul again. I really did not like the food I got on SAA. I am not sure if it was the food or just the long high altitude flight, but my god, I was feeling very bloated and gassy after each trip. I think I could easily get away with just a small cabin suitcase. Specially if you visit friends or family at the destination. Just do washing now and then there.
LOL, I also feel bloated and gassy after every long haul trip, my waist size seems to go up a notch for a while and my shoes seem to shrink a size. I think it's low cabin pressure and it's worse if you're out of shape. Definitely better in the 787's - which makes sense as better cabin pressure and humidity is one of their selling points.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Well, with Emirates you can also fly to Germany for just under R11k. Food and luggage included :)
with a stop over though. and in some cases, a very LONG one.

You can now often get nice deals with Ethiopian and Kenyan also to Europe.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Eurowings to put Cape Town on their map

Pan African development website Elicit Africa reports that in what is considered a major boost for tourism to South Africa’s Mother City, one of the fastest growing LCCs, Eurowings, announced it will be flying between Cologne and Cape Town from 5 November.

The announcement comes shortly after Eurowings, part of the Germany’s Lufthansa Group, also launched flights between Cologne and Windhoek in July this year (2017).

The once weekly flight – serviced with a A330-200 – will depart from Cologne on Sundays evenings and return from Cape Town on Monday evenings.
Initial pricing indicates fares to start from €480 return.

Cologne is near the borders of The Netherlands and Belgium, which means the new route to Cape Town will not only open up accessibility from the German market, but also from neighbouring countries. There are no longer direct flights from Belgium, and Brussels is only 216 km from Cologne.
https://www.sapromo.com/eurowings-put-cape-town-map/13193

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Initial pricing indicates fares to start from €480 return
Not bad, but not exactly mind blowing, for 100 EUR more you can get a return flight from Cape Town to Amsterdam direct with KLM provided you book far enough in advance ...

Voicy

Honorary Master
I recently paid R7.9k per return ticket on Air France from Oslo - Paris - JHB including reserved upper deck seating on the a380. (Granted the exchange rate makes that figure R8.2k now)