TimTDP

Expert Member
Why do e-tv want to get involved with the set-up box's? Surely these are already being used in the rest of the world? Why can't we use what is already available? Or is the standard SA has adopted unique to SA?

Last edited:

dj_jyno

Expert Member
While it is expected that TVs will eventually have digital (specifically DVB-T2) tuners built-in, in the interim the STB will be the only way to receive the digital broadcast.
Ours already has one (and the specific model has been around for at least a year and a half now). Thank God it also has a CI+ slot, so even if they insist on conditional access, we'll be ready.

Why would they actually encrypt the normal SABC channels and eTV, though? Does that mean our TV licenses will be linked to a smart card like DStv?

Why do e-tv want to get involved with the set-up box's? Surely these are already being used in the rest of the world? Why can't we use what is already available? Or is the standard SA has adopted unique to SA?
Considering that there's currently no audio on the digital eTV broadcast, I'd suggest they get involved in asking questions. Yes, there are set-top boxes available that do this already (Humax springs to mind). Just a question of which tenderpreneur will be allowed on the gravy train first (and how many Christian Louboutin shoes are in the deal for dear Dina).

MFour

Expert Member
I have absolutely no desire to pay good money for a STB to watch SABC/e-TV channels. On the odd occasion when I might push the wrong button on the remote and land on a SABC / e-TV channel it is like I've jumped into a time warp, taking me back in time. Honestly it makes me instantly depressed and miserable. I am already forced into buying a TV license for something I don't watch anyway, no chance of me paying for a STB.