Long time Telkom LTE user - Time to change (?)

Doug_Dread

If you own the property and have multiple users and internet use will increase in future re netflix,games then go fibre. R399 25mbps down and 5mbps up Openserve/telkom. If you decide to stay on mobile internet I recommend a XPol external antenna.
Telkom fitted an external antenna, dunno what type.

bencooper

I know this is not the page where I should ask this question but I do not know under which heading it should go. Direct me in the correct direction please. I have received a new Samsung Tab A 10'. I downloaded the Telkom app but it does not open. I have disabled and loaded but to no avail. I log in and then it just closes. Assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

8ta Network Optimist

Vertical rectangle
Ok that should be the correct mimo lte antenna. You can download LTE watch which is free,
https://www.lte-anbieter.info/ltewatch/huawei.php
read up and translate the page , however it is very easy. The software logs into your modem with the username and password of the huawei modem. You can then easy select the 1800 or 2300 band. The software has an easy utility to help you align the antenna, best signal does not always produce best results. I have my oldies on Telkom and best connection and download speeds are on the 1800 band. 50mbps down and 20mbps up consistently. With lte what is important is the SINR signal >20 is excellent and >15 is very good which is what they get. Read up and educate yourself as you will find most telecom technicians are not technicians but installers and the ones that were good all work for themselves now. Take a Sat and read up and turn the antenna to see if there is more than 1 tower which there should be. Good luck!

Doug_Dread

My Telkom B535 and sim were delivered yesterday. Hooked it up and working. Speed is slightly better, from generally below 20mbps to generally above 20mbps with the occasional spike into the 30's. I logged into the router once using the admin password to look around, changing nothing, and ever since that password doesn't work, weird. Anyway, I have more than enough data for my needs now and am paying much the same as my last contract. My Netis range extender refuses to connect, but fortunately the range of the B535 is longer than the old B525. Satisfied overall.

8ta Network Optimist

My Telkom B535 and sim were delivered yesterday. Hooked it up and working. Speed is slightly better, from generally below 20mbps to generally above 20mbps with the occasional spike into the 30's. I logged into the router once using the admin password to look around, changing nothing, and ever since that password doesn't work, weird. Anyway, I have more than enough data for my needs now and am paying much the same as my last contract. My Netis range extender refuses to connect, but fortunately the range of the B535 is longer than the old B525. Satisfied overall.
Also try it with and without the external antenna, if the external antenna is not aligned properly it can negatively impact on your connection quality.

8ta Network Optimist

I know this is not the page where I should ask this question but I do not know under which heading it should go. Direct me in the correct direction please. I have received a new Samsung Tab A 10'. I downloaded the Telkom app but it does not open. I have disabled and loaded but to no avail. I log in and then it just closes. Assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.Fe
I know this is not the page where I should ask this question but I do not know under which heading it should go. Direct me in the correct direction please. I have received a new Samsung Tab A 10'. I downloaded the Telkom app but it does not open. I have disabled and loaded but to no avail. I log in and then it just closes. Assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Delete the app and see if your android system is up to date. Then download the app again.

Doug_Dread

Also try it with and without the external antenna, if the external antenna is not aligned properly it can negatively impact on your connection quality.
I set it up first with bunny ears (from an old router, they aren't supplied with routers anymore it seems :cautious:). After switching to the external antenna, I conclude an approximate increase of around 5mbps in speed. Still only high 20's, early 30's though.

Doug_Dread

Stupid question (?): Is there a direct ratio between download test speed in mbps and download speed in Mbps?

On my old Telkom setup I was getting download test speeds of around 17 to 20mbps which translated into downloading of files at around 1.5 to 2.0Mbps.
On my new Telkom setup I'm getting download test speeds of around 28 to 35mbps but that translates into downloading of files at around 0.5Mbps (500Kbps) tonight (1st downloading since change of setup)!

Something wrong somewhere. Is the internet just wobbly tonight?

BCR

Expert Member
Stupid question (?): Is there a direct ratio between download test speed in mbps and download speed in Mbps?

On my old Telkom setup I was getting download test speeds of around 17 to 20mbps which translated into downloading of files at around 1.5 to 2.0Mbps.
On my new Telkom setup I'm getting download test speeds of around 28 to 35mbps but that translates into downloading of files at around 0.5Mbps (500Kbps) tonight (1st downloading since change of setup)!

Something wrong somewhere. Is the internet just wobbly tonight?

Someone can call me out for being "dof" about this, but I don't think "mbps" is a thing.
I think the correlation is between "Mbps" (Megabits per second) and "MB/s" (Megabytes per second).

So, in your 1st eg. the 17 - 20 is Mbps, and 1.5 - 2.0 is MB/s.
The 2nd eg. I don't think translates at all, other than the fact that the speedtest & where you were d/loading from had two vastly different speeds because likely the server you were d/loading from was running slower for some reason/s - situated o/seas other than Western Europe / UK which I find is good, usually for d/loads, congestion, faulty at the time etc.

Hopefully someone else who knows more can add to, or correct this.

Doug_Dread

Someone can call me out for being "dof" about this, but I don't think "mbps" is a thing.
I think the correlation is between "Mbps" (Megabits per second) and "MB/s" (Megabytes per second).

So, in your 1st eg. the 17 - 20 is Mbps, and 1.5 - 2.0 is MB/s.
The 2nd eg. I don't think translates at all, other than the fact that the speedtest & where you were d/loading from had two vastly different speeds because likely the server you were d/loading from was running slower for some reason/s - situated o/seas other than Western Europe / UK which I find is good, usually for d/loads, congestion, faulty at the time etc.

Hopefully someone else who knows more can add to, or correct this.
Abbreviations aside ;) I'm glad my post is understandable. I tried a couple of different servers and although some started out downloading in the 1+ MB/s range, they quickly throttled back to around 0.5 MB/s. Still doing it this morning. Just need to be confident that it's them and they will revert at some stage and that it's not something in my setup.

BCR

Expert Member
Abbreviations aside ;) I'm glad my post is understandable. I tried a couple of different servers and although some started out downloading in the 1+ MB/s range, they quickly throttled back to around 0.5 MB/s. Still doing it this morning. Just need to be confident that it's them and they will revert at some stage and that it's not something in my setup.

I have what I think is an unusual method for d/loading tech things I listen to or watch, so can't make recommendations. Furthermore, I don't even know where the servers are based of the websites I use.

I generally get decent speeds relative to local speedtests for my d/loads, whether Telkom or Cell C, and only 1 file (mp3 or mp4) out of about 10 is extremely slow ; I always gather it's on their end so either cancel it, let it run extremely slowly (in kbps) or find an alternative means to d/load the same thing at a faster rate - never by torrents, though.

I'd only ever d/load Linux distros via torrent.

Doug_Dread

Clarity gained. After a few iffy downloads at slow and erratic speeds; finally a clean download at between 3 and 4 MB/s relating to a test speed of 28 Mbps. So it's internet wobbles, not my rig. :)

Snyper564

Executive Member
Uncapped Telkom LTE - External antaenne latest huawei router. I would never give this up R630ish a month

1629284052043.png

coolp

Is the telkom unlimited deal for R749 really kept at 10mbps speed for 250GB.