Lonmin plans to cut 4 100 workers as it closes platinum mines

flippakitten

Expert Member
Does not look to me like that is too much of a reason, you can be good boys to the Baas all you like when the time comes it won't make any difference that you have been accepting lower increases all these years.
Lower than what? Inflation tied increases? Last time I checked demands were in the double digits.

At the end of the day, when cost exceeds profits, nobody wins.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Lower than what? Inflation tied increases? Last time I checked demands were in the double digits.

At the end of the day, when cost exceeds profits, nobody wins.
Mining houses hardly settle double digit wage demands. If anything, I don't recall seeing anything above 9% for average worker.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Mining houses hardly settle double digit wage demands. If anything, I don't recall seeing anything above 9% for average worker.
That is true.
Still doesn't change the fact that original increases offered where inflation based but a higher increase was demanded, every year.

So my point stands that mine workers are partly to blame for this.

Maybe mine workers should start holding the unions to account for the unreasonable demands they make to industry in order to get more members to join their unions to make more money so the union bosses can live lavish lifestyles while members are retrenched in the thousands?

GreatWmR

expect to see more headlines like this
Foskor mine for example is not far off from complete shut down

HunterNW

Executive Member
That is true.
Still doesn't change the fact that original increases offered where inflation based but a higher increase was demanded, every year.

So my point stands that mine workers are partly to blame for this.

Maybe mine workers should start holding the unions to account for the unreasonable demands they make to industry in order to get more members to join their unions to make more money so the union bosses can live lavish lifestyles while members are retrenched in the thousands?
The mine workers you are refering to are the same as the majority who keeps voting ANC .....

DreamKing

Executive Member
viva vote for no job .... viva .....

viva anc .... viva ...

viva CR ,,,, viva .....

I am feeling very happy today. :D :D :D

Stephen

Expert Member
These kind of threads always brings out 'die manne'. Pounding that keyboard as if it owed them money. Quick with a smart-ass comment.

Retrenchment is nothing to laugh at , let see when it happens to you.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
These kind of threads always brings out 'die manne'. Pounding that keyboard as if it owed them money. Quick with a smart-ass comment.

Retrenchment is nothing to laugh at , let see when it happens to you.
?
No one is laughing at it, everyone is just lamenting at the fact that the unions are killing the economy, resulting in these people losing their jobs.

Mila

Honorary Master
Never nice when this happens.
It has been looming for a few years now.

A friend of mine’s husband is somewhere in Africa, he was at Lonmin and just said this is going south a he needs to have a job before the pawpaw hits the fan

TysonRoux

Expert Member
Imagine the job. of management on these mines, they have to plan around a volatile market, unrealistic wage demands, strikes, torching and destruction, and the cost of paying off corrupt authorities.