LOOK: Spearfisherman rushed to hospital after shooting himself at KZN beach

schumi

Honorary Master
Durban - A spearfisherman allegedly shot himself in the face with his spear while in the surf near the Scottburgh main beach on the KwaZulu-Natal south coast on Friday.

The man had been spearfishing alone near the sea shore when the accident happened according to eyewitnesses on the beach.

The Scottburgh Lifesaving Club said the man had come ashore in a distraught state and they immediately rushed over to assist him.

Local fishermen and lifeguards called emergency services for assistance to carefully remove the spear from his body.

The Umdoni Municipality ambulance service and Netcare 911 paramedics arrived to provide further medical care.

He had been rushed from the beach to the N2 freeway just pass Umkomaas, by paramedics, where he was airlifted to hospital by Netcare 911.

From pictures circulating on social media the spear went through the unidentified spearfisherman's mouth and came out near the side of his head.

link contains a picture of a spear through a person's face
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/new...-after-shooting-himself-at-kzn-beach-31534850

CAPS LOCK

Executive Member
I heard his friend shot him by mistake, while under water.. Which is plausible, in contrast to the relative difficulty, I would imagine, of shooting oneself with a speargun.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member

There, you can 'undisappoint' yourself. :p

lol thanks, fk that looks painful, it will be a small miracle if there is no serious damage!

TysonRoux

Honorary Master
I heard his friend shot him by mistake, while under water.. Which is plausible, in contrast to the relative difficulty, I would imagine, of shooting oneself with a speargun.
There's no way he could have done that himself.

S7wede

Expert Member
There's no way he could have done that himself.
According to my fiance, he was fiddling around with sinkers while his gun was on the floor resting pointed upwards and he bumped it against something which caused it to misfire.

TysonRoux

Honorary Master
According to my fiance, he was fiddling around with sinkers while his gun was on the floor resting pointed upwards and he bumped it against something which caused it to misfire.
OK, that sounds plausible, ...... just couldn't imagine him holding it and accidentally pulling the trigger.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member

Can't be. He was in the water when it happened. No 'floor'.

And I don't see how he managed to do that to himself underwater. The reports say he was alone, but how?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Can't be. He was in the water when it happened. No 'floor'.

And I don't see how he managed to do that to himself underwater. The reports say he was alone, but how?

yeah but at the same time lets be real, if this was intentional there are much more practical ways to kill yourself

APoc184

Honorary Master
I've seen someone mention that apparently he was coming in to shore with loaded bands and got rolled by some surf. Gun triggered and now he has sinus problems for the rest of his life.

Facepalm picture is perfect.

EDOQuVNX4AIoxzX.jpeg

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Makes sense. I can't picture it happening any other way.