LOOK: State-of-the-art community library torched in Ottosdal protest

Kryptonite

So, given info available, we have no reason to vilify the BEE tenderpreneur? What are minimum fire safety requirements for a library of that size?
I need to pay to get that detail so sorry I can’t give you much else. Looks dodgy but no one can really say.

Mila

Honorary Master
Why would they build that library there?
I think if you dig deep enough you will find a carde living in luxury because of this tender and built.
You will find they over spent the budget by 200 - 300 times and that the sprinkler system wasn’t even installed.. but the mi ey sure went for a luxury german vehicle

noxibox

Honorary Master
Maybe don’t build libraries to people who has no use for them?
All humans should have a use for a library.

People will not burn something they cherish.
I would never burn a book or a library.

They can use google for research, they would never burn their cell phones
Mobile phones are hardly the same thing. But they do burn libraries, schools, clinics, other municipal buildings as well as people's homes. So what structures do they cherish?

Mila

Honorary Master
All humans should have a use for a library.

Mobile phones are hardly the same thing. But they do burn libraries, schools, clinics, other municipal buildings as well as people's homes. So what structures do they cherish?
All humans should have a use for a library but they don’t. I know many people who has not been in one for the last 20 years.
There was no use for this library maybe a school would have been better but then again that would also have been burnt.

Why are phones not the same? Because they can not live in it? Or isn’t it big enough? Or is it their own that they had to pay for and can not replace if they do burn it?

Apparently their own homes because they tend to burn other people’s stuff not their own.

Mila

Honorary Master
Have you ever tried writing an essay, or doing proper research on your phone?
Yes. You do not need a phone to write for that you use paper that the library also would not have given you and you take that and pens with you, but you can do research on it very well. If you want to. you can do anything you want to. If you want to.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
All humans should have a use for a library but they don’t. I know many people who has not been in one for the last 20 years.
There was no use for this library maybe a school would have been better but then again that would also have been burnt.

Why are phones not the same? Because they can not live in it? Or isn’t it big enough? Or is it their own that they had to pay for and can not replace if they do burn it?

Apparently their own homes because they tend to burn other people’s stuff not their own.
What about the kids? It costs more to build and equip a school (I agree a school would've been ideal but...).

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
What about the kids? It costs more to build and equip a school (I agree a school would've been ideal but...).
A library is not comparable to a school. A library is open to the whole community. It provides a great deal more than just books because it provides access to the internet, access to copying / printing / information. It is a meeting place. A place to create and print a job application, a CV, or just note down a new recipe. You can use it to read a newspaper, or a magazine or a book. You can research something, learn something, or just be entertained. Libraries are not to be underestimated in their value.

Daruk

Honorary Master
View attachment 683243

During my life of white privilege I have lived in some affluent privileged areas.

Yet I never had the privilege of visiting a library that looks as good as that bestowed upon the community of Letsopa.

I have no problem being heavily taxed. I am pleased that my tax money is spent on uplifting the poor and giving them better opportunities. Sure I pay high taxes and none of my communities receive facilities of this standard from the state.

But when these communities burn their facilities to the ground I am neither sympathetic nor impressed.

They must reap what they sow. Poverty in perpetuity.
Trouble is the communities don't do it. Criminals within the communities do it. They aren't policed and the good folk suffer.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
What a bunch of fools - obviously the cummunity are protecting the criminals among them

MEC urges community to expose those who burnt mobile classroom

The North West department of education has called on the community of Blydeville to help in exposing the culprits behind the torching of a mobile classroom.

The call comes after a classroom at Rekgonne Secondary School was burnt on Monday. The MEC, Mmapahefo Matsemela, said she was shocked and dismayed by the incident.

“It is alleged that a mobile classroom used as an administration block by the school in the early hours on the same day was found burnt down to ashes by the community. At the moment the cause of fire is unknown,” she said in a statement.

The department said valuable school documentation had been lost in the fire.

The materials include stationery, textbooks, teacher’s files, a school stamp and 2020 school applications. Pupils’ tasks, sports attire and cleaning materials had also been kept in the burnt classroom.

“I am extremely disappointed by the horrible and barbaric incident of burning mobile classrooms in the area of Blydeville. This act of burning and destroying the school property is literally taking our province behind in terms of addressing infrastructure challenges at our schools.”

air

Expert Member
Not a **** given anymore for these savages and their ilk.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
What a bunch of fools - obviously the cummunity are protecting the criminals among them

MEC urges community to expose those who burnt mobile classroom

The North West department of education has called on the community of Blydeville to help in exposing the culprits behind the torching of a mobile classroom.

The call comes after a classroom at Rekgonne Secondary School was burnt on Monday. The MEC, Mmapahefo Matsemela, said she was shocked and dismayed by the incident.

“It is alleged that a mobile classroom used as an administration block by the school in the early hours on the same day was found burnt down to ashes by the community. At the moment the cause of fire is unknown,” she said in a statement.

The department said valuable school documentation had been lost in the fire.

The materials include stationery, textbooks, teacher’s files, a school stamp and 2020 school applications. Pupils’ tasks, sports attire and cleaning materials had also been kept in the burnt classroom.

“I am extremely disappointed by the horrible and barbaric incident of burning mobile classrooms in the area of Blydeville. This act of burning and destroying the school property is literally taking our province behind in terms of addressing infrastructure challenges at our schools.”
To be fair, it could have been cleaning material that started the fire, it wouldn't be the first time

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Sorry but I don't believe for a second that it was only a handful of bad individuals who burned the library down. Most likely a mob was involved, and those 5 that were arrested were the only ones that I could prove did it OR who were not politically connected enough to avoid arrest.

Milano

Honorary Master
Sorry but I don't believe for a second that it was only a handful of bad individuals who burned the library down. Most likely a mob was involved, and those 5 that were arrested were the only ones that I could prove did it OR who were not politically connected enough to avoid arrest.
It is an ideology at work. The manifestation of which we see across protests, looting, crime whether it be bystanders attacking the police for fighting crime, or bystanders cheering, laughing and applauding as a truck is looted or a cash-in-transit vehicle is set slight. Of course it is not the work of individuals. It is a problem at the community level which permeates every level of those communities from those who participate to those who sing and dance to celebrate these acts to those who turn a blind eye and refuse to testify or assist the police with investigations.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
It is an ideology at work. The manifestation of which we see across protests, looting, crime whether it be bystanders attacking the police for fighting crime, or bystanders cheering, laughing and applauding as a truck is looted or a cash-in-transit vehicle is set slight. Of course it is not the work of individuals. It is a problem at the community level which permeates every level of those communities from those who participate to those who sing and dance to celebrate these acts to those who turn a blind eye and refuse to testify or assist the police with investigations.
Honestly I know this will sound weird but I think it is a relic of the apartheid days in some ways. Back then, everything the government did was suspect, including schools, because the government didn't represent you. So if you burned down the schools, you were burning down the white man's property, and that's okay. You're burning down an apartheid school that wants to teach you a language you don't want to learn.

But now times have changed, and those attitudes persist. They still see the government of not representative of them, so they feel nothing in burning schools down. Despite the fact that the schools were now not even touched by white hands.