Looking for a new job and recruitment agencies.

Grubscrew

Expert Member
My Wife is keen to go and work for a medical aid/insurance company ideally located in Centurion and she has approached a few recruitment consultants to see what they can find, she is well qualified and experienced for the position she is looking for. It seems that recruitment consultants are pretty much a waste of time...

We have noticed that most of the companies that she would like to go and work at have their own career portals. My question is how functional are these portals. Do the HR departments actually look at the CVs that get uploaded, referring to companies like Discovery/Momentum/Bestmed/etc?

kagishokgaile

Yes, they actually do. That is how you apply for jobs with most companies now - gone are those days of emailing or sending your CV via post (unless its a government position). Give it a shot.

Ejeckt

Been a few years since I worked in a corporate recruitment department, but there was a strong push for recruiters and HR people to make use of a companies' own portal because A) it's expensive and B) agencies are even more expensive :)

Most corporate recruitment portals automatically email each application and attached CV to the assigned recruiter anyway. Don't feel bad about gimping it. Also, if there are tickboxes and dropdowns, etc that need to be filled in on the application page feel free to stretch the truth a little bit. Most recruiters don't really focus too much on the meta fields for applications, and just look at the attached PDF CV. But sometimes auto-filters will mark up or mark down applications based on how you filled in the application. If there is a "summary" type text field on the application just bullet point about 3-5 points on how you meet the requirements. That's usually what the portal appends to each application and it's the first thing any recruiter sees either on the email or if they manually sort applications on their end of the "system".

Zyk1

Expert Member
I would try all available options for posting your CV, from recruitment agencies, career portals, direct email to HR or via a friend working there.
At least you will know that you covered all your bases and your application has a better chance of being seen.

Nemus

Expert Member
Yes, the portals are generally used, especially in the big corporates.
Have your wife apply on the portals, but also update CareerJunction (and similar) to get more exposure. If you have registered and shown interest with an agency, by all means don't just rely on them.. i've registered with a specific agency 7 years ago and never heard back from them, whereas others managed to land me a position within 1 month...

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Super irritating that you spend time making an amazing looking CV and then you find yourself having to complete all the same information into a big corporates HR portal which is usually some poorly implemented SAP system from 1995. What really irks me is when something like a Cover Letter is a required field but there's a limit of like 250 characters.