Looking for a New Laptop

dw1980

Hi All.

I am in the process of procuring a new Laptop for my Boss. He currently has an Acer Travelmate 5760 (i5), which is now pretty old and is starting to be very slow and freezing etc. I have updated it to Windows 10, did a full format etc, but still freezes now and then. I hear him cursing a lot when he has to do zoom meetings etc.

I would prefer getting an i7. The laptop needs to have the number pad, and be at least 15.6" as he currently has. He does travel a lot with it, to Russia, and it gets to work on the mine sites (dusty etc). He has not had any problems with the Acer.

We have bought a few Dells over the last few years, but every single one of them has had endless problems, so we will not be buying Dell anymore. Please don't recommend Dell lol - I thought they were the best...

Any suggestions for a good Laptop, with good local support in South Africa if needed? I am looking at Asus - any comments regarding them? I have been very happy with the Asus routers etc that we have bought for the office.

Budget = R10k - 15K?? Or would we need to go higher?

Function: Excel, Word, Emails, Zoom meetings etc, AutoCAD Trueview for viewing drawings, good wifi/internet connection required. He does tend to have 7 Excel spreadsheets, and 5 Word documents, and several internet Tabs including Outlook opened at the same time... I have tried to explain to have them closed when not needed.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Have a look at the HP450 series, they are fairly robust, good warranty and its painless to deal with repairs.

I would also highly recommend the new Ryzen based systems , they are amazing performers, and are priced extremely competitively.

This is the configuration I would suggest going for, but you need to add a bit more ram for autocad:

HP ProBook 455 G7 (1Q3B5ES)​

AMD Ryzen 7 4700U APU with AMD Radeon Graphics
39.62 cm (15.6 in) diagonal FHD IPS eDP anti-glare LED-backlit slim, 250 cd/m², 45% NTSC (1920 x 1080)
256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Value SSD
8 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (8 GB x 1)

PS Just noticed you posted in the gaming section, this laptop doesnt have a dedicated gpu so wont be great for gaming.

garyc

Expert Member
This will depend on what his top priorities are. For example, if the dust is a major issue, then a sealed fanless laptop would be best. This could include the Acer Swift 7, some of the Zenbook line or the Macbook Air amongst others.

diapason

Expert Member
I am looking at Asus - any comments regarding them?
I currently have an Asus i5. Wireless connection has stopped working and I'm told that the HD is probably on its way out. This is under 3 years old. Admittedly this is the first Asus I've had so don't know if it's typical.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Does his current laptop have an SSD?

Anyway, Dell has the best warranty, and if you buy Lattitude or XPS/Precision, they are very solid. Sure, some can still have some driver issues if you buy the very latest, but overall I always loved Dell. I doubt you will get better support in SA.
Anyway....

If I can't go Dell, I would go HP.

KhoisanX

Expert Member
Which dells did you buy as they have different ranges?

So many many people buy an entry level/consumer laptop from the likes of I.C. with a terrible screen or poor build quality and then they're disappointed in the brand as a whole when it doesn't live up to expectations.

You can't go wrong with Dell or HP if you buy something like an XPS or Elitebook etc, also look at getting a longer onsite warranty.

ponder

Honorary Master
So many many people buy an entry level/consumer laptop from the likes of I.C. with a terrible screen or poor build quality and then they're disappointed in the brand as a whole when it doesn't live up to expectations.

You can't go wrong with Dell or HP if you buy something like an XPS or Elitebook etc, also look at getting a longer onsite warranty.

Exactly hence me asking. You can't go wrong with the business range models.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Exactly hence me asking. You can't go wrong with the business range models.
Came here to say this.
I've owned HP, Lenovo and Dell over the past 15 years and Dell have outshone the rest by far. Solid build.
Do buy business grade equipment though. And just because it's expensive and comes with an NVIDIA graphics card doesn't make it a business laptop. You get expensive "gaming" / consumer laptops with poor build quality in every brand.

dw1980

This will depend on what his top priorities are. For example, if the dust is a major issue, then a sealed fanless laptop would be best. This could include the Acer Swift 7, some of the Zenbook line or the Macbook Air amongst others.
Ok, dust isn't a major issue. We have the Dell Inspiron. Problem is the Dell stayed in the office in a very clean environment. Wasn't used very often. Major issue we had with Dells is that are terribly slow. I have an old Toshiba Qosmio with an i7 2 Gen, yet it makes this Dell look stupid with the processor speed and running tasks. Opening excel or word sometimes takes 2 minutes.

Every Dell we have had, has had this issue. I have formated etc, uninstalled all funny Dell software that runs in the background, set the laptops to only run important tasks in the background. I still don't know whey they are so slow. I worked on a celeron (painful), but they seemed faster than the Dells.

I will give credit where it is due, their support is indeed very good. My boss hates Dell so much, there is no way to convince him to change his mind.

Reason I was thinking about the Asus laptops is because my Desktop PC has an Asus MB, we got this PC in 2012, I run AutoCAD, a few Excel spreadsheets, Word, Outlook, Chrome, have multiple folders open, and this PC runs like a dream! This has the i7-2600 CPU - never a days issue.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Ok, dust isn't a major issue. We have the Dell Inspiron. Problem is the Dell stayed in the office in a very clean environment. Wasn't used very often. Major issue we had with Dells is that are terribly slow. I have an old Toshiba Qosmio with an i7 2 Gen, yet it makes this Dell look stupid with the processor speed and running tasks. Opening excel or word sometimes takes 2 minutes.
What spec and model was the Dell? Dell won't be slower than an equivalent alternate.
Every Dell we have had, has had this issue. I have formated etc, uninstalled all funny Dell software that runs in the background, set the laptops to only run important tasks in the background. I still don't know whey they are so slow. I worked on a celeron (painful), but they seemed faster than the Dells.
Sounds like they weren't set up properly or there was a specific issue with a particular model maybe? I've seen an issue with a graphics driver on certain models, downgrading to a prior version sorted that out. All brands have those from time to time.

dw1980

What spec and model was the Dell? Dell won't be slower than an equivalent alternate.

Sounds like they weren't set up properly or there was a specific issue with a particular model maybe? I've seen an issue with a graphics driver on certain models, downgrading to a prior version sorted that out. All brands have those from time to time.

Problem is we bought a few Dells (different models) over the period, for the Wife, Daughter etc, and they all complained and they kept coming back to me to see why they are so slow. Formatting etc did not make a difference at all. Like I said, at most time sit would take over a minute to open excel/word.

Chiller89

Does his current laptop have an SSD?

snip
This is the biggest question here.

The very first thing I would do is check if it has an SSD, if not, get one big enough for the amount of space he has used, and clone everything over to an SSD. Not the best-of-the-best way to do this, but it will get him up and running on the SSD in the shortest space of time.

Once that is done, if he no longer has issues (can almost guarantee it will fix most of his slow/freeze issues with that machine) then you've solved most the problem for the foreseeable future, and at some point could do a clean format on the SSD to get things running optimally.

Only if it currently does have an SSD and there are still these issues, would I suggest you consider a new machine with the excellent suggestions in this thread :).

dw1980

This is the biggest question here.

The very first thing I would do is check if it has an SSD, if not, get one big enough for the amount of space he has used, and clone everything over to an SSD. Not the best-of-the-best way to do this, but it will get him up and running on the SSD in the shortest space of time.

Once that is done, if he no longer has issues (can almost guarantee it will fix most of his slow/freeze issues with that machine) then you've solved most the problem for the foreseeable future, and at some point could do a clean format on the SSD to get things running optimally.

Only if it currently does have an SSD and there are still these issues, would I suggest you consider a new machine with the excellent suggestions in this thread :).
Yeah this one has a normal hard drive - I like the SSD idea.

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
I currently have an Asus i5. Wireless connection has stopped working and I'm told that the HD is probably on its way out. This is under 3 years old. Admittedly this is the first Asus I've had so don't know if it's typical.
You just need to replace the WiFi card

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Make sure you're running your Dell with the correct charging cable. If you're using a 65W charger on a machine that requires a 90W charger then it boots as normal but will be incredibly slow as the CPU is automatically rate limited and you won't get any warning messages or anything about using the incorrect supply.

susefan

Thanks for this link. I ordered from them after seeing it and had a very good experience dealing with them.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Thanks for this link. I ordered from them after seeing it and had a very good experience dealing with them.
Nucleus tech are the best. I have ordered two laptops from them and am not disappointed.