Looking for a reliable wireless internet provider in Alberton

SharkBait

Executive Member
Yes, Got a quote in September last year as well. R4k for installation, month 2 month, R1k when signing 12months and free with 24 months. 15mbps/1mbps @ R2300.

myNeo

Yes, Got a quote in September last year as well. R4k for installation, month 2 month, R1k when signing 12months and free with 24 months. 15mbps/1mbps @ R2300.
If it's reliable - even if it's expensive it's worth it to be honest the bull&@@-/) with ADSL and LTE is just not worth the headache. Fibre is a unicorn in Alberton.

I was working till around 2am did a test on my LTE (External antenna) 1800mhz 24mbps 19ms ping, 2300mhz 82mbps 24ms.

Just did one now (everyone up and eating Kelloggs)

1800mhz - ping 30ms 14mbps
2300mhz - ping 38ms 21mbps

I can guarantee by 10am to 6pm that's gonna be 1/2 to 1/3 of the bandwidth and double of the ping rate.

Yesterday I was measuring 80+ms ping at 7pm - I do think there is an issue with Telkom in the area though cause my ADSL line all of sudden keeps resyncing every 5hours or so the upload speed is shocking.

I use to get constantly 7500down 1080 up now it's 6780 down 470up sometimes 320up.... Ping rates on the ADSL has gone from 25ms -31ms to 40+ so either something is poked. That or since I have been seeing loads of OpenServe(me Nothing) vans around doing ADSL lines installs in complexes the contention ration has gone to a ball of ****

Finest

I'm looking for uncap wifi internet.. looked at Skyfi but they installation fees is abit madness R3500.. just waiting for Sawireless to reply.. any heard of RAS Wifi?

Btw I'm in the springs area ☺

SharkBait

Executive Member
There is a thread for SA Wireless, maybe go read that first. Not going to say much more about them.

@myNeo I saw I have Cell C LTE Advanced coverage, so I am thinking of giving that a shot. Last time I tried the Cell C LTE, it was the best out of the four network providers.

bexflex

Hi Guys,

I've spent the past half hour reading this thread. Must say it's been extremely helpful.

I've recently moved to Meyersdal, where I had no idea that there was no ADSL or Fiber coverage and terrible LTE signal.

I see the biggest contenders are Skyfi, SA wireless, and Easyweb.

Has anyone come to a final conclusion of who would be the best bet to sign up with? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

(Can't believe nature estate and eco estate have fiber and we got nada arrrg)

bexflex

I'm looking for uncap wifi internet.. looked at Skyfi but they installation fees is abit madness R3500.. just waiting for Sawireless to reply.. any heard of RAS Wifi?

Btw I'm in the springs area ☺
Who did you end up going with?

SharkBait

Executive Member
Skyfi wasn't to bad, they are the cheapest. Stay away from SA Wireless. Have not read a bad review on Easyweb yet, but they are also the most expensive of the lot.

My ADSL was finally installed, so I am back on the internet. 10mbps is something, better than all the WISPs I wasted money on and LTE has no comparison.

Edit: I suggest you test WiruLink first. www.wiru.co.za If it wasn't for the install costs, I would have tested them first, before getting adsl.

bexflex

Skyfi wasn't to bad, they are the cheapest. Stay away from SA Wireless. Have not read a bad review on Easyweb yet, but they are also the most expensive of the lot.

My ADSL was finally installed, so I am back on the internet. 10mbps is something, better than all the WISPs I wasted money on and LTE has no comparison.

Edit: I suggest you test WiruLink first. www.wiru.co.za If it wasn't for the install costs, I would have tested them first, before getting adsl.
Thanks Sharkbait,

I will have a look at them, I actually found out today there's 2 people in my complex that use Skyfi and they pretty happy with them. Possibly have strong line of sight signal here. Holding thumbs. I'll post in this forum again to let everyone know.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
This is for all discussions around getting better INTERNET in the Alberton area.
Fibre, ADSL , Wireless - discussing all the best options available.
And to get all of us to sign up and show our interest for Fibre.

Alberton Internet Discussion Group:
Whatsapp Internet Discussion Group = https://chat.whatsapp.com/G0Jiudmkah43IIcc5qLV5m

Last edited:

bexflex

This is for all discussions around getting better INTERNET in the Alberton area.
Fibre, ADSL , Wireless - discussing all the best options available.
And to get all of us to sign up and show our interest for Fibre.

Meyersdal, Brackenhurst and Brackendowns:
Whatsapp Internet Discussion Group = https://chat.whatsapp.com/G0Jiudmkah43IIcc5qLV5m
Greater Alberton - Old Alberton, Alberante, Randhart, Raceview, Florentia, etc.:
Whatsapp Internet Discussion Group = https://chat.whatsapp.com/49slSv7lK6ODQRefYfUlXb
Thanks a lot for the info LazyLion. Will join the whatsapp group.

Arzy

Honorary Master
As good as easyweb has been to me I will now start the process to cancel the service. Taken months by I finally got 40mb VDSL installed.

SharkBait

Executive Member
They haven't installed yet. The mail I received last week, said the install is scheduled for tomorrow.

SharkBait

Executive Member
True, but unlike other providers, these guys kept me up to date and explained why it will take so long. They should be here at 9am today though. :)

SharkBait

Executive Member
No line of sight, no Wirulink. :( Registered for the XTTH of Crystalweb, but need 10 guys in a 2km radius. Don't think that is going to happen...