Looking for a reliable wireless internet provider in Alberton

michaelmcse

Avoid these people if possible. They used to be ok but for the last 4 months i have had to send a support email every 3 to 4 days as something is always wrong. Too many problems. 1 day you have no internet the next day you can stream at 5Mbps but only download any file at 50Kbps. SuperSport just buffers all the time but the speed test shows 7Mbps..... . My 10Mbps line barely ever gets that oh and my packet loss is between 20 & 30% which makes it useless. It's cheap for a reason it seems. For heavens sake just skip the headache and insane installation cost of R4000 and get ADSL or wait for Fibre as this point to point WIFI sucks. SA Wireless seems just as bad as my sister is with them and has the same problems. You just can't get home and feel confident that you will be able to use your internet with this tech.

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Avoid these people if possible. They used to be ok but for the last 4 months i have had to send a support email every 3 to 4 days as something is always wrong. Too many problems. 1 day you have no internet the next day you can stream at 5Mbps but only download any file at 50Kbps. SuperSport just buffers all the time but the speed test shows 7Mbps..... . My 10Mbps line barely ever gets that oh and my packet loss is between 20 & 30% which makes it useless. It's cheap for a reason it seems. For heavens sake just skip the headache and insane installation cost of R4000 and get ADSL or wait for Fibre as this point to point WIFI sucks. SA Wireless seems just as bad as my sister is with them and has the same problems. You just can't get home and feel confident that you will be able to use your internet with this tech.
https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/813706-Skyfi-WISP?p=19332022&viewfull=1#post19332022

Copy and pasted... You must be really mad, but I understand your reason.

ninha

My reason for trying to get a decent fixed line as well. I want 40+ but am not willing to pay an arm and a leg for it.
Hi there, i saw you mentioned Skifi, wold you mind terribly to give me their link as i have heard wonders about them but cant log in to skifi.co.za it just will not work, is there another maybe. Thank you in advance and much aprreciate it.

Arzy

Honorary Master
Hi there, i saw you mentioned Skifi, wold you mind terribly to give me their link as i have heard wonders about them but cant log in to skifi.co.za it just will not work, is there another maybe. Thank you in advance and much aprreciate it.
Can't give you all that much unfortunately, went with easyweb in the end. As I recall skifi didn't have los to my place or didn't respond.

michaelmcse

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/813706-Skyfi-WISP?p=19332022&viewfull=1#post19332022

Copy and pasted... You must be really mad, but I understand your reason.
I moved to Sawireless as they use the same dish so i didn't have to pay for a new one or feel like I was stuck with a R4k doorstop.It's Much better. It's not fibre but i can at least get home and consistently use my internet now. I think my post above was a bit harsh but you have no idea what i have been through with wireless internet. I have been involved with a few of these installations now whether it be friends or businesses and unfortunately it seems like luck of the draw. 1 location will suck on sawireless but the same location will work well with Skyfi or some other provider and other locations will suck on Skyfi but sawireless will be good. It really all depends on your distance from their high site and the interference in between. I think it is unfair for people and me in my above post to criticise a company based on biased opinions about factors that are not really in the hands of mentioned companies. What is positive though is all these providers seem to use the same equipment so buying a dish doesn't mean you are stuck to one provider. My post above was clearly made out of anger and frustration but reflecting on the issue months later has made me re think about it. I'm not saying this because i now have a flawless internet connection as i don't but it's acceptable but if i stayed in a different area even 2km from where i am now i might have had a great experience with Skyfi as i have seen good performance at other sites of theirs. So instead of criticising anyone let me rather give some advice from all my experience with different providers of wireless(WIFI) internet.

Step 1: contact provider and ask about line of sight
Step 2: If line of sight is good then ask them exactly where their high site is
Step 3: Go outside and/or on your roof and look in that direction from where you feel the dish should go. The highest pole they will install is 5M to get over any obsticles, so keep in mind how a mast on your house might look if you need a 5m pole. The best line of sight is a clear line of sight. No large trees or buildings in the way. The tech of the dish is pretty advanced so a small tree branch or some tree leaves in the way wont cause a problem but pointing directly at your neighbours oak tree will be a problem
Step 4: If your relatively happy that you will get a decent line of sight then get them to come install
Step 5: Don't let that technician leave until you look at his laptop and see the signal quality of the dish to the high site. Anything below 80 dbm is desirable. Also check that the airmax quality is above 60% and consistent.
Step 6: if **** hits the fan and can't get resolved and you feel like i did above then try another provider.

It's not exact science what i have said above but it might help avoid getting you to the point where you post something ugly like i did in the above post.

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Dude, I've been there. I've done installs at my work, with the same equipment and never had issues. At my place, SAWireless told me they couldn't use the same equipment, as they have upgraded the tower to use other equipment.

Regardless, they never could their shyte working. I now have ADSL and have to be happy with that until I move or can get fibre.

I think the most frustrations comes from the poor feedback you receive from these providers and they always treat you like an idiot, even after showing that you actually know something.

I will not try a WISP again soon. If I can't get Fibre > ADSL > Telkom LTE, then I can't stay in that house.

Last edited:

Kewl

Hi guys,

Is there anyone in the Alberton area that currently uses wireless internet providers?

I recently moved into a flat, but there is no Telkom infrastructure.

I for now opted for LTE, but only MTN and Vodacom has coverage here. (so I'm with afrihost atm)

i have looked around and Wifibre looks to be a good option, but i would like to know if anyone has used them before, and if so, how is the experience? and quality of the line? I want to siign up for the 4m/bit package, and use it for gaming and streaming.

Does anyone maybe have a speedtest.net screenshot while on their network ?

Look forward to hearing from someone :)

Regards
Hi dpicota

I know this post is old, but just checking if you are all sorted now. I was with skyfi for over 2 years they were really awesome. Very little to no connectivity issues. I paid R4000.00 for the little satellite CPE and it comes with a pole. If you're still interested in getting an alternative, I'm selling my CPE for only R1000.00.

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Hi dpicota

I know this post is old, but just checking if you are all sorted now. I was with skyfi for over 2 years they were really awesome. Very little to no connectivity issues. I paid R4000.00 for the little satellite CPE and it comes with a pole. If you're still interested in getting an alternative, I'm selling my CPE for only R1000.00.
Skyfi is shyte. Ask @Slaught3r or check the thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/skyfi-wisp.813706/page-9

PS: Way to go on replying on a old post. We have Fibre now in Alberton. :)

Slaught3r

Expert Member
Hi dpicota

No.

Just.

NO.

I would rather set my CPE on fire and use the pole to push my dogs turds around than even consider selling it to someone who wants to use Skyfi. The amount of hate I have for Skyfibrestream is too damn high.

Veroland

Executive Member
No.

Just.

NO.

I would rather set my CPE on fire and use the pole to push my dogs turds around than even consider selling it to someone who wants to use Skyfi. The amount of hate I have for Skyfibrestream is too damn high.
If we had a list of the worst ISP ever skyfi would be at the bottom of the barrel and still digging their way downward. The last 1.5 years with them has been hell. I can't wait to be able to get fiber where I live and I am actually seriously considering going VDSL at the moment. Skyfi even makes Telkom look good.

Slaught3r

Expert Member
If we had a list of the worst ISP ever skyfi would be at the bottom of the barrel and still digging their way downward. The last 1.5 years with them has been hell. I can't wait to be able to get fiber where I live and I am actually seriously considering going VDSL at the moment. Skyfi even makes Telkom look good.
So much this. I have had nothing but issues from day one with them. I went as far as laying a complaint with ICASA, not that it helped in any way shape or form. They could not feel any less for their subscribers and what hassles they are going through on their shyte network. At least I can finally say I am rid of them for good and I am VERY happy with my new 100/100 connection through good old Afrihost. Perhaps we should consider a marketing campaign against these guys to warn the public away from them.