Looking for a wifi router that can act as a DNS

frankvw

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

For the last three decades I've been running my own servers in my local LAN. However, Linux on laptops, virtualization, cloud storage, web based services and other developments over the years have made this pretty much redundant. I do still have several devices, though, that need their own IP addresses, mostly for development purposes.

Currently the only server I still run is an aging laptop, which does nothing any more than act as a DNS for my local LAN, to resolve my internal hostnames into internal IP addresses.

I'd like to ditch said DNS entirely. One option would of course be to fit all local clients with their own hosts file. However I'd rather have centralized administration of my local host names. It would be great if there was a WiFi router or access point available somewhere in South Africa that can act as an internal DNS. Given the fact that most Netgear routers that I know of (and tons of others, too, probably) run embedded Linux, I can't see any technical limitation, it's justs that it's not an implemented feature on any of the ones I've seen. So I need a Wifi access point or router with DNS capabilities.

Know ye of such a beast?

// FvW

Last edited:

MDE

Expert Member
The easiest an cheapest option is to run a RaspberryPi with either Bind, PowerDNS and run dnsmasq.

Could that be an option?

frankvw

Not a bad thought. However I'd like to do away with the separate device entirely, if that would be possible.

I've got an old Netgear WGT624 that I don't mind bricking if things go wrong. It runs embedded Linux. Maybe I could run a lightweight bind equivalent on it somehow?

// FvW

garthvs

I can strongly recommend a Mikrotik router. It is small but very powerful and will almost never break.

bdt

Executive Member
What garthvs there added about a Mikrotik box, the RB750GL (..."some" :eek: learning of an utterly diabolical OS required (I'm scared of it)) comes to mind ..else it *may* be possible to get OpenWrt or dd-wrt onto your Netgear.

nomdeplume

Mikrotik with a Linux background is childs play. Would take all of two minutes for the DNS configuration

Mikrotik is very well documents and setting up a DNS is very easy. You dont need to know coding if you use WinBox.
There are several how-to's on mikrotik dns setups

Good luck ... give me PM is you need help ... I might be able to assist.

nahoR

I would recommend Mikrotik as well, initially I started off with the RB750 as I had a gigabit switch for all the stuff to connect to, a wireless access point that connected to the switch and the RB was there to manage my ADSL connections, DHCP, VPNs, blah blah...

I recently bought the RB2011, the red one with the WiFi integrated. What a great product! Features vs. price I doubt you will find anything better...

acidrain

Executive Member
Mikrotik RB951-2n. Cheap and all in one.

Btw DHCP is very easy on it... it even has a setup wizard.