Looking for advice about a buyer on Gumtree demanding a refund

inthemiddle

So what happened?

So the meeting was cancelled after I showed them all the comments here.

My mom's boyfriend has been sick and suddenly remembered he has an attorney cousin. They phoned him and he said to ignore them. My mom sent the people a message saying she has spoken to her attorney and explaining briefly why she can't refund them.

They then said they want our attorney's details so their attorney can contact him. They also said that they took it to Checkers and didn't touch it themselves, and that the "sensor isn't working meaning it has a manufacturing fault not something you can break". They then went on to say it wasn't brand new, the box was opened (?!? absolute rubbish), followed by another message "you sold me a faulty machine". At that point we blocked them (would have done it sooner but my mom lives elsewhere and she doesn't know how to). So now we just leave it and hope we don't bump into them anywhere.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
So the meeting was cancelled after I showed them all the comments here.

My mom's boyfriend has been sick and suddenly remembered he has an attorney cousin. They phoned him and he said to ignore them. My mom sent the people a message saying she has spoken to her attorney and explaining briefly why she can't refund them.

They then said they want our attorney's details so their attorney can contact him. They also said that they took it to Checkers and didn't touch it themselves, and that the "sensor isn't working meaning it has a manufacturing fault not something you can break". They then went on to say it wasn't brand new, the box was opened (?!? absolute rubbish), followed by another message "you sold me a faulty machine". At that point we blocked them (would have done it sooner but my mom lives elsewhere and she doesn't know how to). So now we just leave it and hope we don't bump into them anywhere.

Good move...

Just block them and move on with your lives. As for getting your attorney's details, just ignore it, and do not give them ANY contact details for anyone.

If you do bump into them in the future just carry on and ignore their existence.

I would be intrigued to know how Checkers know anything about the machine if they sell it though... and also none of the Checkers staff are technical in any sense so couldn't make any pronouncement on the fault (if there even is one).

chrisc

Executive Member
You have been told over and over again, and it has been confirmed by your attorney friend that you have no legal, commercial or moral liability to refund the buyer

So just do that and spend your spare time more profitably. I can understand some people getting anxious when confronted by threats made on the phone. Rest assured that these threats are meaningless. If I was in the same position as you, I would, after telling them that there was no chance of a refund, ignore further calls

inthemiddle

You have been told over and over again, and it has been confirmed by your attorney friend that you have no legal, commercial or moral liability to refund the buyer

So just do that and spend your spare time more profitably. I can understand some people getting anxious when confronted by threats made on the phone. Rest assured that these threats are meaningless. If I was in the same position as you, I would, after telling them that there was no chance of a refund, ignore further calls

Just updating those who asked.

inthemiddle

Good move...

Just block them and move on with your lives. As for getting your attorney's details, just ignore it, and do not give them ANY contact details for anyone.

If you do bump into them in the future just carry on and ignore their existence.

I would be intrigued to know how Checkers know anything about the machine if they sell it though... and also none of the Checkers staff are technical in any sense so couldn't make any pronouncement on the fault (if there even is one).

Yep they have been blocked and ignored. Checkers doesn't sell that coffee machine nor the cartridges it uses. They seem like people who could become violent so hoping to avoid them anyway. I'm glad for everyone's advice here.

Thor

Honorary Master
Good, now forgot about it, next time. block straight away.

ToxicBunny

Yep they have been blocked and ignored. Checkers doesn't sell that coffee machine nor the cartridges it uses. They seem like people who could become violent so hoping to avoid them anyway. I'm glad for everyone's advice here.

Very much doubt they could become violent, especially if you've mentioned that you've discussed it with an attorney. They were trying their luck and have hit a brick wall.

inthemiddle

Very much doubt they could become violent, especially if you've mentioned that you've discussed it with an attorney. They were trying their luck and have hit a brick wall.

Hopefully. Just saw an sms from this morning saying the same as the whatsapp messages but with "I have all your details you can refund me it will get ugly I have no need to break a machine you sold faulty to me". This is getting really old now so everything will just be ignored.

airborne

Honorary Master
Hopefully. Just saw an sms from this morning saying the same as the whatsapp messages but with "I have all your details you can refund me it will get ugly I have no need to break a machine you sold faulty to me". This is getting really old now so everything will just be ignored.
Many people try the mean heavy dude line , just in case it works.

Just don't loose your temper with them at all, be polite in all situations and ignore when they get stupid​.. They are trying to instigate a fight because they are probably the kind of people who use that as their default problem solving method, they are bullies and fights are their forte.

ToxicBunny

Just ignore it.

If you get any more threatening SMSes just go to the cops.