Looking for advice on a good router with integrated VPN

P00HB33R

Hey Guys,

I need some advice. I am implementing a new network for a client and I am looking for a decent router with the following functionality:

- Basic services (DHCP etc.)
- Integrated VPN service
- Decent firewall
- Port/bandwidth throttling (P2P, Skype, Uncommon ports)

This router would accommodate about 20 local seats and +- 10 roaming seats.

The integrated VPN is a big must as we do not want to run a seperate server/router for VPN unless absolutely necessary.

Also do you guys know of a good solid state VOIP PBX solution, we do not want to rely on a asterisk/PC as power is a big issue at the site. We are implementing a very good backup power solution with good ups's and a generator, but a stand alone VOIP box with no moving parts would be my first choice.

Thank you in advance.

syntax

Executive Member
I have had good things with the draytek routers.
They go for around 1400 a pop...got everything you need

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
Get a Netgear Modem which has a Wi-fi speed of 300Mbps. All modems have VPN in them. Dont get the Billion 400G Modem, I have it and it conks out all the time.

riverdusty

I always find an old computer and install ipcop on it. It does everything and is far more manageable.

P00HB33R

I always find an old computer and install ipcop on it. It does everything and is far more manageable.

I might be mistaken but IPCOP does not have IP PBX functionality. Also i am looking for a solid state solution, Pc power supplies are just not reliable enough.

Thanks for the reply

mh348

Expert Member
Get a Routerboard RB750, it costs about R400 and you'll need a Modem that connects to the router, a D-Link 2500u (1 port), which goes for about R250...

The RB is quite impressive, it can do several types of vpn (pptp, openvpn etc), DHCP, port forwarding, firewall and more..

deepdiver

Agreed about the dreytek routers they are pretty good.
Kinda depends on what you are looking for.
To be honest recommend the fortigate range as a cheap enterprise firewall with VPN,web filtering, antivirus + loads more.
For SMB's is pretty cool. then just get a low end stable router with VPN passthrough.

All power supplies are going to be an issue maybe try something with dual PS.
In terms of PBX seeing as you were looking at asterix.
Flash it with openwrt or buy a router with openwrt and add asterix
http://www.it-slav.net/blogs/2011/03/31/installing-openwrt-on-tp-link-tl-wr1043nd/
with a router with a USB port you should also be able to add an ISDN link for calls.

legendvpn

Hi there!

Looking for a reliable VPN service provider?
Let me give you a brief description of choosing a VPN service provider.

Qualities of a good VPn service provider:
How can you assure of having a good VPN provider?
Things you must consider are
VPN service provider that offers Security and Exclusive Anonymity Alternate at a very low cost of 5€/month.
-On the other hand an idea of being the "Best" is practically differs and depends on your own needs.
-Several questions you might consider is that does the provider offers reasonable and stability of connection worldwide?
Answer: This LegendVPN don't store any logs and lets you assure that its a trustworthy and established VPN service provider.

legendvpn

Get a Netgear Modem which has a Wi-fi speed of 300Mbps. All modems have VPN in them. Dont get the Billion 400G Modem, I have it and it conks out all the time.

I think Netgear prosafe modem VPN firewall router uses this partly because of the rich feature set, it can be tricky to find particular controls. It would be easier if the web interfaced used roll-over menus to reveal subordinates options without having to load the corresponding page-- especially as what you see in the manual doesn't always match what's on the screen.