Looking for an Android box to play videos from HDD offline

DarKWateR

Expert Member
Hi folks. Looking for some assistance/recommendations.

My friend has an external HDD with lots of video files in various different formats (AVI, MKV, MP4, etc.)
Currently the HDD is connected to an oldish Samsung Blu-ray player but many of the files/codecs are not supported and the player is full of nonsense.

I was thinking of getting an Android box, updating/installing the apps and then connecting the HDD to it and play the media via Kodi or something. The box will not be connected to the Internet. Is this an option? Is there a better solution. Really looking for something fairly affordable.

I've been looking at so many Android boxes like the Skyworth Binge, etc. However the more I read reviews the more complicated things get. Lots of reports with boxes not reading external hard drives and such.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Mi box has a usb port. Skyworth has 2 usb ports, and it's cheaper.

Crowley

Executive Member
I'm actually looking at that unit. Would the default remote be fine or is the bundle with the keyboard remote a must? Thanks
The default remote is very basic but it does what it needs to do. I have the keyboard remote more for mouse usage and searching on Netflix.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
The default remote is very basic but it does what it needs to do. I have the keyboard remote more for mouse usage and searching on Netflix.

Perfect, thanks. Last question: For external HDD, should I use exFAT or NTFS? Thanks

Veroland

Executive Member
The one with 2gb ram is quite quick. Don't get the 1gb/8gb model

Cool, like I said as well, mine is fairly old. I do have a range the MiGica boxes at home and I'm very happy with them. Just the Netflix release on the latest yGica TV box is not offical and very buggy

DarKWateR

Expert Member
NTFS works fine. The one with 2gb ram is quite quick. Don't get the 1gb/8gb model

Eish 2GB version a bit expensive. I would assume the 1GB version can't be slower than a old Blu-ray player from 2013

Crowley

Executive Member
Eish 2GB version a bit expensive. I would assume the 1GB version can't be slower than a old Blu-ray player from 2013
The 1Gb version just takes longer to start up and the menus are a bit sluggish but it doesn't have any effect on the playback.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
@DarKWateR
Depends on what you want to spend. I have a couple of Zidoo X9S 's that have SATA ports as well as USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports. The newer version, the Z9X has a SATA port on either side. The X10 and Z10 have an internal SATA port, the X20 and X20Pro have dual internal SATA ports. The X20Pro being the best but over R7k. The x9S comes in around R2k

stede

Hi folks. Looking for some assistance/recommendations.

My friend has an external HDD with lots of video files in various different formats (AVI, MKV, MP4, etc.)
Currently the HDD is connected to an oldish Samsung Blu-ray player but many of the files/codecs are not supported and the player is full of nonsense.

I was thinking of getting an Android box, updating/installing the apps and then connecting the HDD to it and play the media via Kodi or something. The box will not be connected to the Internet. Is this an option? Is there a better solution. Really looking for something fairly affordable.

I've been looking at so many Android boxes like the Skyworth Binge, etc. However the more I read reviews the more complicated things get. Lots of reports with boxes not reading external hard drives and such.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I recently bought the H96 Max Plus from Geewiz. I'm really happy with this box because it plays anything you throw at it including 4k Movies. I connected 2 x 2TB hard drives with no issues. It is a little bit pricy at R1095.00. If you just wanna play normal HD movies then maybe the other cheaper TV boxes would be fine as well. But think of future use of 4k stuff, then the H96 Max plus would be the choice. Also look at the Mi box 3/S. only Issue its got only 1 USB port. But you can connect a USB Hub that will sort this out.

https://www.geewiz.co.za/media-play...box-rk3328-quad-core-64bit-4gb-ram-32gb-.html

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
@DarKWateR
Depends on what you want to spend. I have a couple of Zidoo X9S 's that have SATA ports as well as USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports. The newer version, the Z9X has a SATA port on either side. The X10 and Z10 have an internal SATA port, the X20 and X20Pro have dual internal SATA ports. The X20Pro being the best but over R7k. The x9S comes in around R2k
I am looking at the X9S for myself. Does it come with KODI loaded already or must I add and configure it myself.

I use KODI extensively as I also watch from HDD.

Oh and where did you buy your Zidoo from?

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Any of the cheap ass MXQ boxes should work.
The mibox might have issues with NTFS.

kolaval

Executive Member
Do all these X96, MiGica, Zidoo etc boxes not have that k@k android interface which is not Android TV?