Looks like MTN 5G network is launching soon!!

Tector

For those interrested by looks of things in the June 2020 deals booklet of MTN they are about to / have already launched their 5G network. Terms and conditions at bottom of page make for an interresting prospect though:

" 5G Network: The 5G network service offering is valid from 01/06/2020. Both post-paid and prepaid customers with 5G-enabled devices and an LTE SIM card qualify for the service. Current 4G devices will not be able to use the new network, which will require new 5G-enabled wireless devices. The service is only available in LTE coverage areas. LTE SIM card customer price plan rates will apply. MTN Subscriber Contract Terms and Conditions apply. For full Terms and Conditions on all products and promotions, see pg. 41 or visit mtn.co.za."

"The service is only available in LTE coverage areas" - either blanket 5G coverage then or a typo (most likely)Screenshot_20200602-133656_Acrobat%20for%20Samsung.jpg

Reactions: Yuu

MirageF1

Executive Member
Nice but no way I'm paying for a 5G device and privilege, in the vain hope my speeds better my current 100Mbps

My B618 is doing just fine, ta

• Love

rpm

Admin
Staff member
We have asked MTN for further details. We have not heard about any launch yet - I assume it will happen this month.

Tector

After a little bit of research I believe MTN is going against the trend here and are going to launch 5G with the same coverage as 4G from the start after all (watch out Vodacom!). I have a suspicion that they are going to use their existing spectrum (1800mhz etc.) for 5G and 4G to co-exist and they are going to bolster that with the temporary spectrum received by government. This will also explain my findings of the other day that they recently doubled their 1800mhz block of spectrum from 10 to 20mhz..

Jake45

Expert Member
You must be referring to Ericsson Spectrum Sharing technology.

Tector

You must be referring to Ericsson Spectrum Sharing technology.
This exactly and it is almost confirmed as MTN is using Ericsson to build its 5G network...thanks for sharing!

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Well, we are going to need 100Mbps uncapped for R699. Start there.

bear101

MTN 5G launch date confirmed

Well 30th June is a week away,

So which route do you think MTN will go regarding their data packages? Are they going to have any uncapped options like Rain, or run more on the side how Vodacom doing things.

I hope there is a uncapped option, and devices are ready and available.

Tector

Dissapointed with the scarce coverage and ridiculous fup on the unlimited. But glad it arrived!

Kaysway

anyone know how the FUP on their unlimited option will work?
A 200GB fair use cap is applicable to the anytime data on the Unlimited data plan. Once the 200GB fair use cap has been reached the connection will be throttled to a speed of 1Mbps. The throttling will be lifted when you receive your next monthly inclusive data allocation.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
A 200GB fair use cap is applicable to the anytime data on the Unlimited data plan. Once the 200GB fair use cap has been reached the connection will be throttled to a speed of 1Mbps. The throttling will be lifted when you receive your next monthly inclusive data allocation.
Link?