stevodurbs

Hey guys

I'm busy trying to sell my VW Polo and I've lost the original logbook/registration, all I have is the past 5 years worth of licence docs(the ones that come with the license disk).

What I'm trying to find out is whether the license docs are sufficient for a buyer to register my car in their name or whether I need to get a new registration doc?

Added to this, my car is registered with Durban plates and I now live in Cape Town - if I need to get a copy of the registration docs will I be able to do it at at the transport dept here or can I only do it in Durbs?

Help!:erm:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Hey guys

I'm busy trying to sell my VW Polo and I've lost the original logbook/registration, all I have is the past 5 years worth of licence docs(the ones that come with the license disk).

What I'm trying to find out is whether the license docs are sufficient for a buyer to register my car in their name or whether I need to get a new registration doc?

Added to this, my car is registered with Durban plates and I now live in Cape Town - if I need to get a copy of the registration docs will I be able to do it at at the transport dept here or can I only do it in Durbs?

Help!:erm:

You need to get a new registration certificate for the car before you sell it. They are not called log books in South Africa, only in the UK. When the new owner tries to register the car in his name, the licencing department will not allow him to unless he can produce the registration certificate for the car.

Not only that, but no savvy car buyer would touch a car without the seller being able to provide the registration certificate. It would be pretty dodgy if you couldn't produce it.

stevodurbs

Thanks - I thought as much.

So next question is would I be able to get a copy of the registration certificate for my Durban registered vehicle in Cape Town? Logically, it's all on the same system, so they should be able to pull up the registration document anywhere in the country?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Thanks - I thought as much.

So next question is would I be able to get a copy of the registration certificate for my Durban registered vehicle in Cape Town? Logically, it's all on the same system, so they should be able to pull up the registration document anywhere in the country?

All the provinces use the same licensing system (eNatis), so I don't see why not.

Colin62

Executive Member
Yes, you can go into Cape Town. They might need a little time to move your file across to them on the system, but you go in, fill in the form, give them money and a copy of your ID and go back when they tell you to and collect it. Depending on the queues at your local licensing department, you might need to pack lunch too.